Semi-obvious travel tips

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
andy88488

Semi-obvious travel tips

Post by andy88488 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:49 pm

I have one or two tips that will make traveling with CPAP much easer. I would imagine that most people are already doing this, but I thought I would share it, in case someone has NOT thought of this. Maybe some people will chime in with some other tips.

I ALWAYS keep in my CPAP case: a 15 foot three outlet extension cord. It is astonishing how often I either need extra plugs, or that there is no power outlet on my side of the bed. It is ALWAYS in my case, so I don't need to remember to pack it. It's already there.

Also in my case, but more optional, is a plug converter. Since my CPAP is 110/240 V, all I need is a simple, very thin converter to allow me to plug it in overseas.

Hope this helps someone. My apologies if I'm just stating the obvious.

Andy
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

WSHenry

Re: Semi-obvious travel tips

Post by WSHenry » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Andy,

Good advice. I travel on business about 30 percent of any given month, and carry an extension cord and a a flat outlet adapter that accommodates up to three appliances in one outlet. Some older hotels in North America have too few outlets.

Cheers!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Another obvious inclusion. A Checklist attached to the inside of the case. That way you check each and every time that you put everything back in the case. You will NEVER get it back from the hotel or motel.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

nickt

Post by nickt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 pm

I carried 3 small cords in my Cpap bag around the world since 2005.
Leaving Mexico last March the were confiscated ?????

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 pm

Time to buy new ones; ---and avoid Mexico!

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:09 am

When I was traveling in Europe a couple of years ago I took a "universal" (220/240V) power strip with built-in surge protector with me.That came in very handy, as I like to have my CPAP on a surge protector, and we have a bunch of chargers for stuff we also took. Having them all be able to be plugged in and not have to juggle the one or two outlets in some accommodations was nice. Also allowed me to have the cpap where it was most convenient.
Last edited by RogerSC on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:15 am

andy88488 wrote:I have one or two tips that will make traveling with CPAP much easer. I would imagine that most people are already doing this, but I thought I would share it, in case someone has NOT thought of this. Maybe some people will chime in with some other tips.

I ALWAYS keep in my CPAP case: a 15 foot three outlet extension cord. It is astonishing how often I either need extra plugs, or that there is no power outlet on my side of the bed. It is ALWAYS in my case, so I don't need to remember to pack it. It's already there.

Also in my case, but more optional, is a plug converter. Since my CPAP is 110/240 V, all I need is a simple, very thin converter to allow me to plug it in overseas.

Hope this helps someone. My apologies if I'm just stating the obvious.

Andy
Hi Andy,

I will be traveling next month so I definitely appreciate your excellent reminders. When I last traveled in June of last year, I always found enough power outlets but I think it would have been easier if I had had an extension cord.

49er

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:05 am

SewTired wrote:Another obvious inclusion. A Checklist attached to the inside of the case. That way you check each and every time that you put everything back in the case. You will NEVER get it back from the hotel or motel.
Hmm. I don't think I have that particular need, but I do keep a packing checklist in Evernote. Evernote, in case anyone doesn't know it, is GREAT for things like that! You can add notes or checklists at (for example) your work computer, and use them on your phone or tablet when you're ready.
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

yippeekia

Post by yippeekia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:35 pm

I like putting my equipment in large Ziploc bags. That way if they get removed during security checks they are better protected.

traveling Utz

Post by traveling Utz » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:38 pm

I also have a hose hanger that I made out of PVC pipe that easily fits into my suitcase.

Keeps the hose up and out of the way.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:27 pm

RogerSC wrote:When I was traveling in Europe a couple of years ago I took a "universal" (220/240V) power strip with built-in surge protector with me.That came in very handy, as I like to have my CPAP on a surge protector, and we have a bunch of chargers for stuff we also took. Having them all be able to be plugged in and not have to juggle the one or two outlets in some accommodations was nice. Also allowed me to have the cpap where it was most convenient.
I actually got a voltage converter with three 110 V plugs and a bunch of USB ports. It turned out to be GREAT, because most of the electrical usage was just to charge up my phone, iPad, etc. This is it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MST ... 1_4&sr=8-4
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

curems

Post by curems » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:42 pm

yippeekia wrote:I like putting my equipment in large Ziploc bags. That way if they get removed during security checks they are better protected.
I had heard this before and I believe it may be one of the recent changes that cpaps have to be removed from the case now (from the TSA site: "A nebulizer, CPAP, BiPAP and APAP must be removed from its carrying case and undergo X-ray screening. Facemasks and tubing may remain in the case. You may provide a clear plastic bag to place the device through the X-ray. A TSA officer may need to remove it from the bag to test it for traces of explosives."

Since it has to be removed and put in those same nasty bins that everyone puts there shoes (and who knows what else) in, I plan to have mine pre-packed in plastic bags.

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:58 pm

curems wrote:
yippeekia wrote:I like putting my equipment in large Ziploc bags. That way if they get removed during security checks they are better protected.
I had heard this before and I believe it may be one of the recent changes that cpaps have to be removed from the case now (from the TSA site: "A nebulizer, CPAP, BiPAP and APAP must be removed from its carrying case and undergo X-ray screening. Facemasks and tubing may remain in the case. You may provide a clear plastic bag to place the device through the X-ray. A TSA officer may need to remove it from the bag to test it for traces of explosives."

Since it has to be removed and put in those same nasty bins that everyone puts there shoes (and who knows what else) in, I plan to have mine pre-packed in plastic bags.
I've seen a lot of variance in how my CPAP was handled, but I don't think I've ever had to put it in a bin. I always put the entire bag, with CPAP inside, through the xray. Sometimes, they want to take out the machine and swab it down to check for explosive residue, but that's the extent of it. I traveled over Xmas week, to Canada and back, and neither time did they even do that. They left it in the case, and let it go through.
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask

curems

Post by curems » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:32 pm

andy88488 wrote:
curems wrote:

I've seen a lot of variance in how my CPAP was handled, but I don't think I've ever had to put it in a bin. I always put the entire bag, with CPAP inside, through the xray. Sometimes, they want to take out the machine and swab it down to check for explosive residue, but that's the extent of it. I traveled over Xmas week, to Canada and back, and neither time did they even do that. They left it in the case, and let it go through.
I'm glad to hear that as I'll be traveling next month! I'll still use the zip-locs just in case (never know who you'll get for your TSA agent).

cant_sleep_in_nj

Post by cant_sleep_in_nj » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:12 pm

my best tip for traveling with a cpap is to carry a few spare mask parts. It saved me twice in about 3 years. (swivel on mask, , extra pillows, headgear)