Resmed VPAP COPD

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JIMCHI

Resmed VPAP COPD

Post by JIMCHI » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:53 pm

I think my dr. will approve a new machine for me (Resmed VPAP COPD) as I have COPD. I want to make sure this machine is compatible with my favorite mask which is a Resmed Swift LT. This machine is not showing on Resmed's list of compatible machine/masks. Does anyone know? Also I have Complex Apnea as well as COPD so I presume this machine is suitable for patients with both of these conditions ???

Resmed AirFit P10 w/large pillows

Julie

Re: Resmed VPAP COPD

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Almost all masks are compatible with most machines because they connect with standard hoses.

Vpap is good for complex apnea, but I'm not sure about the COPD part or not... someone else should be, but in general Cpap is good for COPD.
Last edited by Julie on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:06 pm

JIMCHI wrote:I think my dr. will approve a new machine for me (Resmed VPAP COPD) as I have COPD. I want to make sure this machine is compatible with my favorite mask which is a Resmed Swift LT. This machine is not showing on Resmed's list of compatible machine/masks. Does anyone know? Also I have Complex Apnea as well as COPD so I presume this machine is suitable for patients with both of these conditions ???
vpap is simply a machine that delivers multiple pressures per breath. resmed makes a lot of different vpaps.

a vpap copd is a basic two pressure, non auto adjusting machine that comes out of the box with settings that are good for the average copd user, as a starting point.

the vpap adapt is the machine that's for complex/central apnea.

trying to treat both is going to be a challenge, since the vpap adapt doesn't have all the configuration settings that the vpap s/copd do.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JIMCHI

Post by JIMCHI » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:11 pm

I am presently using a Respironics VPAP Adapt SV. The machine is relatively old,noisy, large, and heavy. I travel a lot by plane and as I age it's getting more difficult for me to lift this thing into the overhead bin. It has done pretty well in treating my complex apnea, but since I also have COPD I hope I would qualify this newer, smaller, and much lighter machine that also handles COPD better. Medicare won't pay for a new machine unless the current one is absolutely beyond repair. But if I also have COPD I'm hoping that will justify Medicare paying for the replacement with the Resmed VPAP COPD.

Resmed AirFit P10 w/large pillows

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:20 am

Check the Medicare rules once again. If your current machine is over 5 years old (and it sounds as if it is), it may be that Medicare will authorize a replacement. My insurance company follows the Medicare rules for the most part and it will pay for a new machine after 5 years of service. I switched from an auto BiPap to an ASV machine after just less than three years and they paid for the new machine. In your case, the change may well qualify for reimbursement even if your current machine is less than 5 years old.

Going to a COPD machine after an ASV machine provides less in the way of flexibility and therapy.
OTOH, if you also have congestive heart failure, then the COPD machine may be better for you.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:23 pm

With the older (Pre S9) ResMed VPAPs there used to be some mask compatibility issues but mask compatibility became a non issue with the S9 and newer VPAPs so there shouldn't be a problem with your preferred mask if you get a newer machine.

As for Medicare routinely replacing a machine after the 5 year mark....I think Medicare has sort of adopted a "replace only if broken beyond repair" policy instead of age of machine policy despite what the official replacement wording might state.
I think what happens when people are getting new machines at the 5 year mark is that DMEs are just quietly reporting that the machine is broken beyond repair as that is all that is really needed...the DME saying it is broken.
Medicare doesn't want to buy a new machine at anytime unless the machine cannot be repaired or it would be a costly repair job. That's how they save money.

As for treating the centrals...sometimes bilevel is all that is needed and that's essentially what the bilevel COPD marketed machine are...bilevels with ability to target lung volume and rate.
It's very possible that the new Resmed bilevel COPD model will do the trick for your centrals too.
While ASV is usually the first thought for central treatment....sometimes the other bilevel machines can also get the job done.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Don't want to derail this thread, just have a general question. Is there any benefit or need for these machines for a person with COPD who does not have sleep apnea or are they only for persons with sleep apnea who happen to also have COPD?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:04 pm

kteague wrote:Don't want to derail this thread, just have a general question. Is there any benefit or need for these machines for a person with COPD who does not have sleep apnea or are they only for persons with sleep apnea who happen to also have COPD?
obligatory disclaimer: I am not a respiratory therapist or doctor type person.

I would think that the answer would be yes... as the titration guide says:
ResMed wrote:Patients with obstructive lung disease have chronic airflow limitation. These patients have particular difficulty exhaling air, which leads to air trapping and hyperinflation. These patients require a longer exhalation, which often leads to asynchrony with standard bilevel settings.

The recommended settings use a faster rise time to ensure that the lungs are filled quickly, and a high cycle sensitivity to provide an earlier cycle to exhalation. The rapid inhalation and prolonged exhalation will help to prevent auto-PEEP and preserve synchrony.
might even help when not sleeping.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

anon

Post by anon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:59 pm

Is this a good machine for asthma too? I'm surprised because I tried the s9 vpap adapt and I didn't like it. I have mixed apnea, CSA+OSA, horrific disease. btw what is the correct way to take oxygen with an asv?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:02 pm

anon wrote:Is this a good machine for asthma too? I'm surprised because I tried the s9 vpap adapt and I didn't like it. I have mixed apnea, CSA+OSA, horrific disease. btw what is the correct way to take oxygen with an asv?
probably not
with an oxygen adapter.

OKCSleepDoc

Post by OKCSleepDoc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:41 pm

palerider wrote:
kteague wrote:Don't want to derail this thread, just have a general question. Is there any benefit or need for these machines for a person with COPD who does not have sleep apnea or are they only for persons with sleep apnea who happen to also have COPD?
obligatory disclaimer: I am not a respiratory therapist or doctor type person.

I would think that the answer would be yes... as the titration guide says:
ResMed wrote:Patients with obstructive lung disease have chronic airflow limitation. These patients have particular difficulty exhaling air, which leads to air trapping and hyperinflation. These patients require a longer exhalation, which often leads to asynchrony with standard bilevel settings.

The recommended settings use a faster rise time to ensure that the lungs are filled quickly, and a high cycle sensitivity to provide an earlier cycle to exhalation. The rapid inhalation and prolonged exhalation will help to prevent auto-PEEP and preserve synchrony.
might even help when not sleeping.
Depends. COPD users have to be proven to be Hypercapnic to qualify for bilevel without having OSA.