FFM vs Nasal Pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepwiggler

FFM vs Nasal Pillow

Post by sleepwiggler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:37 am

Does wearing a FFM make a difference in pressure needed? I know the FFM is more surface are but I am not that makes a difference except in sealing.
I guess it's time to revisit CPAP.com and review some mask I like having a FFM but the Airfit F10 is just not doing it for me because of my pressure I have to keep it tight in my opinion too tight, but I end up with huge leaks if not kept to the limit on tightness. Could just be I have a big abnormal head.

49er

Re: FFM vs Nasal Pillow

Post by 49er » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:00 am

sleepwiggler wrote:Does wearing a FFM make a difference in pressure needed? I know the FFM is more surface are but I am not that makes a difference except in sealing.
I guess it's time to revisit CPAP.com and review some mask I like having a FFM but the Airfit F10 is just not doing it for me because of my pressure I have to keep it tight in my opinion too tight, but I end up with huge leaks if not kept to the limit on tightness. Could just be I have a big abnormal head.
Hi Sleepwiggler,

That has definitely been my experience with full face masks. However, after reading the post on how to get a perfect mask fit, I wonder if at least in my situation, this results from tightening the straps too much which causes the jaw to be pulled back which then results in a higher AHI at the same pressure.

Perhaps you want to read the post and see if by following the advice, you get better results?

I am expecting the Simplus that I ordered though my DME to arrive any day so it will be interesting to see if my theory is right or not.

Good luck with troubleshooting your situation.

49er

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:35 am

Some masks fit different faces in a different way. Some masks will leak on your face and not mine. That's part of the mask hunt. The machine will compensate for the different masks. The delivery pressure is what you ask for. That is why you need to select the type of mask on your machine.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:03 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:The delivery pressure is what you ask for. That is why you need to select the type of mask on your machine.
Incorrect. The mask choice on the ResMed machines doesn't change the pressure or delivery. It affects the leak reporting only. The ResMed machines subtract a generic vent value per the mask choice to help calculate excess only leak.
sleepwiggler wrote:Does wearing a FFM make a difference in pressure needed? I know the FFM is more surface are but I am not that makes a difference except in sealing.
Difference in pressure needed for what? Sealing? No. Therapy effectiveness? Sometimes yes for some people but not necessarily all people.
If going from a nasal pillow mask to a full face mask it isn't unusual for people to need a little more pressure to do the same job a nasal pillow mask did. In theory it shouldn't happen but I have seen the reports to prove otherwise. Though the higher the pressure the more of a challenge it can be to keep that seal.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepwiggler

Post by sleepwiggler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks, I was just wondering because I have both I know I would change mask type on the machine. I don't think I would need a different pressure because I just had sleep titration done and before that I had both mask and got no relief now I am felling better but I have yet to settle on mask that I would say is my perfect mask. I do like having the option to use either based on how I feel.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:45 am

Sorry for the mistake... my bad...

Sheriff

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Working with many patients that had to use a FFM due to mouth breathing and high pressures (nasal mask not an option) they usually succeeded by doing the following:
1. Trying different mask type (as most others on this thread and board have said)
2. Once the 'best' mask was chosen and if it was still leaking then they would add a mask liner like Remzz or other brand
3. If those mask liners didnt help I saw many patients make their own mask liner from blue jean material (form old blue jeans) and I saw the results when they came back in and their numbers looked great (low leakage, low AHI etc..)

So my advice would be to keep looking for a good mask (Quattro and Simplus were my choice) and try to add a mask liner.

Good luck!
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com