No Frontal Sinuses! Uars solved!! (for me)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thomas F.

No Frontal Sinuses! Uars solved!! (for me)

Post by Thomas F. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:45 am

I'm one of the 5% of people that never developed frontal sinuses (above they eyes). I discovered this about 15 years ago from X rays done by an ENT in preperation for my first surgery related to sleep apnea/uars. The ENT what surprised when he saw this in the X ray but told me "hey it's no big deal" these sinuses are not really important and you won't get sinus headaches blah blah blah. I went on to have tonsillectomy, UPPP, tongue reduction, hyoid advancement, turbinate reduction all at different times over the last 15 years to get some normal sleep. I got incremental improvements only NOTHING RESOLVED IT 100%. I swear on a stack of bibles that I have been living on 20% the deep sleep of a normal person. You don't have enough time in a day to read how this affliction has cost me in my career, family life, health.

I doubt you will find what I am about to explain to you explained in any medical paper, or is even known about by ENT doctors (my ENT, and multiple sleep Dr's and clinics did not know. I have not found any mention of this in google searches.

I have discovered (for me) Frontal sinuses are necessary so that when you lay down in bed (horizontally) for sleep any nose mucus can travel to whichever sinus cavities it can reach using gravity and thereby clear the nose for good breathing while you sleep. My theory is the frontal sinuses is where much of mucus travels too. BUT I DON'T HAVE THESE SINUSES. As such my nose never clears and creates the perfect environment for UARS - struggle to breath thru the nose, creating vacuum, pulling tongue in airway, creating RERA, awakenings, zero REM, etc.

THE PROOF of my theory:

I have had the best sleep of my life for the last 5 days. 8 hours straight, deep sleep , having dreams again! completely rested, cognitive sharpness coming back!

My solution:

I sleep on a wedge pillow raising my upper body 30%. Gravity takes mucus (congestion) down towards the sinuses that I do have. My nose stays clear all night. I also use the SUAD dental appliance that moves my jaw forward. I've been using this for years but only since using the wedge pillow have I gotten this amazing, deep, restful sleep.

For those suffering with UARS
: find out if you have frontal (upper) sinuses. You may be one of the 5 percenters. Anyone with UARS i would highly recommend sleeping on a 30% incline.

I'm 55 years old and just figuring this s**t out. I hope it helps others.
Had UPPP and Hyoid Advancement Surgery on 10/29/2010.
midline glossectomy surgery using Da vinci robot 2/2014.
Straight CPAP 4.8 pressure

Thomas F.

Re: No Frontal Sinuses! Uars solved!! (for me)

Post by Thomas F. » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:20 am

I meant 30 degree angle. not 30%
Had UPPP and Hyoid Advancement Surgery on 10/29/2010.
midline glossectomy surgery using Da vinci robot 2/2014.
Straight CPAP 4.8 pressure

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:40 am

GERD will cause mucus also as the esophagus protects itself from the stomach acid. Sleeping on a wedge will do the same thing, use gravity to keep the acid where it belongs.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Courtneya

Post by Courtneya » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi Tom

I too have no frontal sinuses!! I just found out after suffering badly from allergies for years and finally having a CT that revealed part of the issue was no frontal sinuses. Any chance you have allergy issues and have been able to find a way to deal with them with the additional issue of no frontal sinuses? Would love to hear more about your experience.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:13 pm

Courtneya wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:41 pm
Hi Tom

I too have no frontal sinuses!! I just found out after suffering badly from allergies for years and finally having a CT that revealed part of the issue was no frontal sinuses. Any chance you have allergy issues and have been able to find a way to deal with them with the additional issue of no frontal sinuses? Would love to hear more about your experience.
unlikely that you will.

he hasn't been on since august 10 2018.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:53 pm

I sure as heck have the dang things!
(Reaches for ibuprofen)

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 pm

I don't have them either. My ENT said they don't develop until a child is eight years old, and a small number of people never develop them. He said in my case I was better off without them, as if I had them, they'd be full of infection to! :roll:
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:13 pm

I got all my sinuses, but no wisdom teeth.
Lucky, I guess.
Then again, fewer teeth>>smaller jaw>>OSA.
:shock:

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:05 am

No frontals here either. When I found out, I went back to my mother and said "Hey, you know how when I asked for something as a child, you'd say I needed it like I needed another hole in my head? Well guess what?" :lol:

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:51 am

Lifeisabeach wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:05 am
No frontals here either. When I found out, I went back to my mother and said "Hey, you know how when I asked for something as a child, you'd say I needed it like I needed another hole in my head? Well guess what?" :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg