Donating an old but nearly unused CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MoLiver4u

Donating an old but nearly unused CPAP

Post by MoLiver4u » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:43 am

Hello everyone,

I have a Respironics Encore Pro which I was proscribed like 10 years ago. I used it for a week or two and found it horrible so I got a dental device instead. I know this machine was quite expensive at the time but I know things depreciate in value as well. I checked the CPAP assistance program with the American Sleep Apnea Association, but they don't want older machines, no matter what the condition they're in. Is this thing going to the scrap heap or is there someone out there who can't afford a new CPAP that would welcome a virtually unused older model?

Thanks for your time, I will keep checking here to see if anyone responds!

Meryl

Gasper62

Re: Donating an old but nearly unused CPAP

Post by Gasper62 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:54 am

That is a very nice offer, Meryl ! I really hope that someone in need can get some good use from your machine.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:08 am

We have some trusted members who act as informal clearinghouse/distributors. They may show up on this thread.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:18 am

Do you know how to change the pressures on this machine? If so, and nobody on here wants it, offer it on Craigslist. There are people who just have no money, high deductibles and just need a one pressure machine - age of the machine really isn't a factor so long as they can change the pressure themselves.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:25 am

Is it this machine but without the "2" as part of the model name?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... cflex.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:42 am

Just in time for Christmas (or 'holidays' for some)... Good idea to help someone out.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:38 pm

MoLiver4u wrote:Hello everyone,

I have a Respironics Encore Pro which I was proscribed like 10 years ago. I used it for a week or two and found it horrible so I got a dental device instead. I know this machine was quite expensive at the time but I know things depreciate in value as well. I checked the CPAP assistance program with the American Sleep Apnea Association, but they don't want older machines, no matter what the condition they're in. Is this thing going to the scrap heap or is there someone out there who can't afford a new CPAP that would welcome a virtually unused older model?

Thanks for your time, I will keep checking here to see if anyone responds!

Meryl
From about that time frame.......

"Encore Pro" is not a Respironics machine.
Encore Pro is actually the software used to download and read the smart card in machines from that era which had them.

Respironics made a REMstar Pro CPAP machine (which was discontinued in 2005) and was not data capable.
Respironics also made a REMstar Pro 2 CPAP machine (beginning in 2005) which had full data-capabilities.

The Pro 2 was made and sold till about the end of 2007......even a couple years after the machine that succeeded it (the M Series Pro).

Encore Pro is still software used to download and read the cards from the newer machines but has been updated with newer versions......some of which are backward compatible with the older cards and machines.

It would be nice to know which exact machine you have. On the top of it, does it have a blue sticker with white lettering saying "C-Flex - feel the difference" ? Does it also have red lettering in the front corner saying "Pro" or "Pro 2"? If not, what does it say in red lettering? Most of them had the model name printed on top in red lettering.

On the bottom there should be a couple of labels. What is the model number?

Thank you,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

maninthemask

Post by maninthemask » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:28 pm

I know Secondwind CPAP will take donations. I don't know how legit it is, but it's an option. I have purchased some equipment from them before, very easy company to deal with.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:57 pm

maninthemask wrote:I know Secondwind CPAP will take donations. I don't know how legit it is, but it's an option. I have purchased some equipment from them before, very easy company to deal with.
However, depending on which model it is, there are several of us on the forum who still revere those old Legacy ("Tank") models as the best they ever made.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Another request for the OP.
Would you please take the power cord and plug in the machine and watch and record what is displayed in the LCD screen?
One number should be the "firmware" number, the next should be the "Blower hours" and the one staying on the screen should be the "User hours".

Den

User since 05/14/05

MoLiver4u

Post by MoLiver4u » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Ok, did some more digging and this appears to be the machine I have:
M Series Plus C-Flex CPAP Machine

You can find it on the website Pugsy linked to above. I'm not a member here so it won't let me post a link.

Mine has a built in humidifier.

I took a photo but I'm not sure how to attach it here. There is no screen to check hours or anything on it, I'm afraid. It also appears to be missing the plug so I can't plug it in atm, but I'll pay to replace that when I donate it, once I know that someone else will be able to use it.

Does this help?

Meryl

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:29 pm

MoLiver4u wrote:Ok, did some more digging and this appears to be the machine I have:
M Series Plus C-Flex CPAP Machine

You can find it on the website Pugsy linked to above. I'm not a member here so it won't let me post a link.

Mine has a built in humidifier.

I took a photo but I'm not sure how to attach it here. There is no screen to check hours or anything on it, I'm afraid. It also appears to be missing the plug so I can't plug it in atm, but I'll pay to replace that when I donate it, once I know that someone else will be able to use it.

Does this help?

Meryl
OK. Thanks for that additional information. It's a non-data-capable machine made between (about) 2006 and 2009. It would be a decent straight-pressure machine for someone who needs one.......for a spare/backup or travel and doesn't need data if they've got their pressure figured out.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Are you missing the power brick or just the power cord from the brick to the electric plug on the all?

This is the power brick
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... upply.html
Possibly cheaper elsewhere on the web...I didn't take the time to look elsewhere.

or just the power cord from the brick to the wall? This cord is easily and cheaply replace as just about any power cord will work.

Someone who already uses a M series machine might be interested and they would already have a power supply for it.

It is this machine
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Remsta ... chine.html

and there is a way to check hours of use...just have to go to the clinical menu setup area and then to the Info section (lower left corner) and scroll until the total blower hours is shown which may or may not be equal to the therapy hours.
Respironics REMstar M Series (CPAP or BiPAP): Unplug the power cord from the back of the CPAP machine, then hold down both the left and right arrow keys while simultaneously plugging in the power supply. Once the device beeps twice, release the buttons. After you hear the two beeps, you'll see the word setup in the lower right corner of the LCD screen. When you select setup you'll be in the clinician's mode where you can adjust every feature of the CPAP machine, including the pressure setting.
I don't know of anyone at the moment who needs a machine that could use this model but you never know what tomorrow might bring. Someone may try to turn on their old M series tonight and it won't come on...or maybe they just want to have a back up available in case something happens because if they are using a M series machine now it is going to have some hours on it already.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:27 pm

We are sure making poor MoLiver4u work hard to give away a legacy CPAP machine! I know, it's the right thing to do to get it to the proper person, but still...

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

beachbum

Post by beachbum » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:36 pm

Meryl, I would like very much to have the the cpap machine.if you still have it please email me at beachrider5242@aol.com