I'm a little scared right now

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mariejeanne

Re: I'm a little scared right now

Post by mariejeanne » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Greyfort wrote:Hi. I've been using my CPAP machine for about a month now (since September 28th). I have:

Machine is: ResMed AirSense 10 Elite w/HumidAir Humidifier
Mask is: ResMed AirFit N10 For Her

I've been doing pretty well, until this morning.

I woke up, took the mask off and got out of bed, as usual. But this morning, I couldn't stop sucking in huge breaths of air. It was like I'd just run a marathon and was sucking in air. Half an hour later, I'm doing a little better, but I'm still taking a few huge, deep breaths, trying to get my breathing back to normal.

I just keep feeling the need to pull in as much oxygen as possible. I don't feel dizzy. I don't have any chest pains, or anything like that. I just can't stop sucking in huge amounts of air and it's scaring me. This is not a normal breathing pattern.

I'm not sure what could cause that all of the sudden. I'm going to be nervous about using the thing tonight.

I've never tried doing anything with my settings. They set it all for me at the store and I haven't touched the dials since. It says on my receipt that the setting is 9.
This does not sound like a sleep apnea problem. I would go to the ER or an Urgent Care center immediately. You could be having life-threatening heart or lung issues.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:38 pm

go to ER!
Nurse over the phone said I didn't have pneumonia because I had no fever so it was just a cold - wrong. Don't get diagnosed over the phone.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Greyfort

Post by Greyfort » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:10 am

I did go to a clinic. They said that I'm okay, but it sounds like I had a CO2 build-up in my system and my body was trying to take in more oxygen. I mentioned that I was finding it difficult to yawn when I woke up in the mornings, for about the first 10 minutes or so, and they said, "Same thing."

Maybe I should look into getting a different type of mask? I have a nasal mask. Because of my chronic nosebleeds, I was concerned about having any pressure going right up my nose.

Is there a problem with CPAP masks and CO2 build-up?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:55 am

I'm speaking from a viewpoint of using FF masks, but if the CO2 vent holes are covered by bedding and you rebreathe the CO2, you'll have problems.

My father, in great physical shape, used to yawn a lot and get told it was nothing... until he had an MI and was told yawning was a 'grab' for 02. You can have an attack with very few symptoms (he awoke one a.m. short of breath...) that then may seem to go away, but unless you're seen to immediately, permanent damage can be done. I wasn't just being dramatic and have worked in teaching hosps. my whole life.

And PS, nurses are not doctors and do not have equipment over the phone to test you.

Greyfort

Post by Greyfort » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:29 am

I have an appointment with my family doctor tomorrow.

I'm feeling really lost as to what to do at the moment.

Before I was told that I had sleep apnea and got the CPAP machine, I went to bed, fell asleep quickly and didn't wake up until the morning. I felt refreshed. I was not tired all day. I didn't take naps. I've never fallen asleep, nor felt like I was going to fall asleep while driving, reading, watching TV, etc.

Since I got the CPAP machine, I've been tired all day, constantly yawning and I keep taking in really deep breaths. I get out-of-breath more easily when I do activities.

I'm not sure which is scarier, the sleep apnea, or the symptoms I've been having since I got the CPAP machine.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:01 am

Your machine, pressures, etc. may just not have been set up properly yet (4-20 is 'wide open' to defaults, not proper prescription settings - many MDs and/or DME's just hand machines to patients like that with no explanation and no real understanding - docs often know zip about machines)... which is why we're all here.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:05 am

Please DO make sure the exhaust vents on your mask are clean and clear.
And don't let anything block them.
Otherwise, I can see no reason for a connection.
Remember, ER diagnoses can sometimes be off--way more than you can imagine.
Follow through with the doctor.

Greyfort

Post by Greyfort » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks everyone for being patient with me. I'm new to this and am having a little difficult with it all. I just walked the dog and felt pretty winded, which doesn't usually happen. I'm doing searches and finding that I'm not the only one who has troubles breathing during the day-time since using CPAP. One link lead me to an old post here:

viewtopic/t19821/Help--trouble-breathin ... e-day.html

My nurse friend said that I must have gotten what the clinic told me backwards. She said that I was probably in a bit of a state of hyper-ventilation yesterday morning. She said I could try breathing into a bag, not a lot, but just a little bit, to get my breathing settled.

I just had a complete work-up on my heart and it was fine. This only started since I began using the cpap machine.

I'm sleeping fine with it at night, but I'm having troubles with my breathing during the day-time. I guess there's definitely an adjustment period with it.

I will definitely talk about it with my doctor tomorrow and I have another sleep study on November 6th, with the CPAP machine, so I'll mention it to them at that time as well.

I'm still using the machine, but I'm understanding why some people quit using it. Being breathless during the day is rather unnerving.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Emergency rooms often send people home to die.
Since exertion caused the symptoms to return, GET BACK IN THERE,

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Greyfort wrote:I have an appointment with my family doctor tomorrow.

I'm feeling really lost as to what to do at the moment.

Before I was told that I had sleep apnea and got the CPAP machine, I went to bed, fell asleep quickly and didn't wake up until the morning. I felt refreshed. I was not tired all day. I didn't take naps. I've never fallen asleep, nor felt like I was going to fall asleep while driving, reading, watching TV, etc.

Since I got the CPAP machine, I've been tired all day, constantly yawning and I keep taking in really deep breaths. I get out-of-breath more easily when I do activities.

I'm not sure which is scarier, the sleep apnea, or the symptoms I've been having since I got the CPAP machine.
Put all of your equipment and settings in your profile!!!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Greyfort wrote:Hi. I've been using my CPAP machine for about a month now (since September 28th). I have:

Machine is: ResMed AirSense 10 Elite w/HumidAir Humidifier
Mask is: ResMed AirFit N10 For Her

I've been doing pretty well, until this morning.

I woke up, took the mask off and got out of bed, as usual. But this morning, I couldn't stop sucking in huge breaths of air. It was like I'd just run a marathon and was sucking in air. Half an hour later, I'm doing a little better, but I'm still taking a few huge, deep breaths, trying to get my breathing back to normal.

I just keep feeling the need to pull in as much oxygen as possible. I don't feel dizzy. I don't have any chest pains, or anything like that. I just can't stop sucking in huge amounts of air and it's scaring me. This is not a normal breathing pattern.

I'm not sure what could cause that all of the sudden. I'm going to be nervous about using the thing tonight.

I've never tried doing anything with my settings. They set it all for me at the store and I haven't touched the dials since. It says on my receipt that the setting is 9.
OK. Put that all in your profile. Then, get Sleepyhead software and start looking at your nightly data.

Personally, I can relate to your "feeling the need to pull in more oxygen". I had that sensation soon after I started, too. I think it's a "breathing adjustment" some of us make when starting.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Greyfort wrote:I'm not sure which is scarier, the sleep apnea, or the symptoms I've been having since I got the CPAP machine.
I understand what you are saying. After you've seen your doctor tomorrow and have found out that you are just fine , I'm thinking that this may be anxiety, pure and simple. Well, not so simple but better than many other things. You did mention that you had panic attacks many years ago which is making me think that anxiety could be an issue. Learning you have sleep apnea along with having to wear this foreign object on your face, does make some people anxious.

Looking forward to hearing from you after you've seen your doctor.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Greyfort

Post by Greyfort » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:31 am

Well, my blood pressure was a little high, but still within the normal range. It's not surprising with all of the anxiety that I was feeling. But other than that, my doctor was happy that I'm having another sleep study on November 6th. I thought I never wanted to have one of those again, but I'm actually looking forward to it this time. I just hope I can get more sleep this time.

He said that he could tell just by looking at me that I was okay. My colour is actually really good for a change. He thinks that I just need my settings adjusted and the sleep study people will be the ones to talk to me about that. He said that sometimes it can take quite some time to get used to using CPAP machines, but he said to just keep at it and hopefully it will get better.

I asked him if maybe it had irritated my asthma. He said that if I thought that, I could try turning up the humidity on my machine a little and see if that helps. I haven't touched the settings since I got the machine, but my parents did turn on the furnace over the past 3 or 4 days.

So last night, I turned the humidity from 4 up to 5 and this morning, I'm feeling much better. So far, I don't have that sensation that I can't take a deep breath.

It's still possible that I had awoken slightly hyper-ventilating and then panicked about that and anxiety set in. I forgot to ask the doctor about that one.

The good news is that I'm feeling much better today, so far. I've only been awake for about 40 minutes, but at the moment, I'm feeling normal, which is good.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Greyfort wrote:Well, my blood pressure was a little high, but still within the normal range. It's not surprising with all of the anxiety that I was feeling. But other than that, my doctor was happy that I'm having another sleep study on November 6th. I thought I never wanted to have one of those again, but I'm actually looking forward to it this time. I just hope I can get more sleep this time.

He said that he could tell just by looking at me that I was okay. My colour is actually really good for a change. He thinks that I just need my settings adjusted and the sleep study people will be the ones to talk to me about that. He said that sometimes it can take quite some time to get used to using CPAP machines, but he said to just keep at it and hopefully it will get better.

I asked him if maybe it had irritated my asthma. He said that if I thought that, I could try turning up the humidity on my machine a little and see if that helps. I haven't touched the settings since I got the machine, but my parents did turn on the furnace over the past 3 or 4 days.

So last night, I turned the humidity from 4 up to 5 and this morning, I'm feeling much better. So far, I don't have that sensation that I can't take a deep breath.

It's still possible that I had awoken slightly hyper-ventilating and then panicked about that and anxiety set in. I forgot to ask the doctor about that one.

The good news is that I'm feeling much better today, so far. I've only been awake for about 40 minutes, but at the moment, I'm feeling normal, which is good.
That's such good news! Taking a deep breath is pretty terrific, doncha think? I hope you wake with similar feelings in the morning!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Greyfort

Post by Greyfort » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:28 pm

I definitely felt much better today. I was not as tired and I didn't feel so easily out-of-breath and I had a busy day. I still had a problem trying to get in a full yawn sometimes, which is a very annoying feeling. But it was much better.

I hope the improvement will continue too. If it's about moisture, I will definitely suspect that it was irritating my asthma.