Neck Collar AKA Soft Cervical Collar

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Peaceful sleeper

Neck Collar AKA Soft Cervical Collar

Post by Peaceful sleeper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:13 am

On and off I have seen mention of using a neck collar to help with mouth breathing. I use a FFM already and pretty much have the large leaks under control but have been waking myself up numerous times a night from my jaw dropping open and out from under the mask. I am much better at keeping my mouth closed behind the mask than I was when I started treatment about 6 weeks ago, but not 100 percent. Mostly I am a side sleeper but can't help rolling on my back sometimes to change positions. I can't sleep in one spot all night. Uncomfortable for me.

So I got a neck collar and used it last night for the first time. For the first time I did not have any "large leaks." My AHI was about the same as usual but I had never seen a leak graph in sleepyhead that was below the red line. Lol! Until today. Another benefit. I was able to loosen all of my straps because of the new position of my head, which made the mask more comfortable.

Perhaps this will work for some of you dealing with the same issues. Best wishes!

Edit: Title clarification.

Last edited by Peaceful sleeper on Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdz

Re: Neck Collar

Post by bdz » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:26 am

I have to agree. Chin straps often pull my jaw back, but the cervical collar will not do this. I splurged on a collar I found at Walgreens that is soft, yet supportive and the front area being adjustable by strings that you pull.

It took me forever to stop clenching my jaw and this collar lets my lower jaw relax...stopped from going too far, by the collar.

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:30 am

Glad to hear it... now that the hot weather in my area has abated, I'm going to try a cervical collar this coming week. I think they come in 2.5" and 3" heights, which did you buy

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

bdz

Post by bdz » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Glad to hear it... now that the hot weather in my area has abated, I'm going to try a cervical collar this coming week. I think they come in 2.5" and 3" heights, which did you buy
When I bought the simple one I got the 3". Ended up having to remove (cut with scissors) some from the top curved area. I slit the covering in order to do this. You can try to judge the best size by lying down and seeing how many fingers fit under your chin...then measure.

My adjustable one cost twice as much...but I can change height via strings. Another way to possibly adjust height is by wrapping a small piece of Ace bandage in chin area to make it smaller.

At one store, they let me take one out and 'put it on' to check if comfortable.

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

Peaceful sleeper

Post by Peaceful sleeper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:41 pm

My collar came from Amazon. I ordered the large Caldera Releaf model. It's a bit stiff and a little tall but I imagine it will loosen up a bit and develop some give. The area under the chin is made of a softer foam but not mushy, though. It works well. Best of all it works!
Best wishes.

Dorian

Post by Dorian » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:00 pm

I did a quick PubMed search on neck collars and what worried me was mention of possible increased intracranial pressure while wearing. I did not read the full article but it's something worth doing more research on. I thought better not to solve one problem and create a new one. Otherwise, I like the idea. I was going to run out and buy one until I thought higher ICP's might be a risk.

Peaceful sleeper

Post by Peaceful sleeper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Dorian wrote:I did a quick PubMed search on neck collars and what worried me was mention of possible increased intracranial pressure while wearing. I did not read the full article but it's something worth doing more research on. I thought better not to solve one problem and create a new one. Otherwise, I like the idea. I was going to run out and buy one until I thought higher ICP's might be a risk.
Thanks for bringing that up. My collar is in no way tight. As a matter of fact I leave it quite loose. Just enough to keep my chin from flopping open.

tan

Post by tan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:59 pm

sigh... all my advice on this forum is reduce to one thing lately: if a collar and chin-strap don't work like they didn't for me, try vertical mouth 1' taping from chin to upper lip. This has helped me big time to keep my mouth up and thus prevent leaking

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Don't confuse the big stiff whiplash collars with the small soft (frameless!) ones you'd wear with Cpap! Whole different animal.

ChicagoGranny

Soft Cervical Collar

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:08 am

Gramps has use cervical collars for years, and I used one about as soon as I started CPAP. Neither of us see any reason to buy anything but the cheapest soft cervical collars. Simple is best in this case. Any of the first half dozen or so here work well - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... cal+collar

BTW, the correct search term is "soft cervical collar".
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

Peaceful sleeper

Re: Soft Cervical Collar

Post by Peaceful sleeper » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Gramps has use cervical collars for years, and I used one about as soon as I started CPAP. Neither of us see any reason to buy anything but the cheapest soft cervical collars. Simple is best in this case. Any of the first half dozen or so here work well - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... cal+collar

BTW, the correct search term is "soft cervical collar".
Thank you for the clarification on the name of the item. I still had my box and gave it a look. The one I got says "neck rest." Perhaps a bit different from yours. Glad it is working for you.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Neck Collar AKA Soft Cervical Collar

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:12 pm

I tend to get hot at night (hey, you in the back row, stop snickering!). Is there a collar that has the foam perforated with 1/8" to 1/4" holes all the way around it I have some leg pads for downhill mt biking like that and they are very comfortable even in the hottest months of the year. The holes in those pads go all the way thru the foam padding BTW.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:37 pm

I also get hot and I live in a hot, humid subtropical climate. The collar is comfortable to me, but I do have the A/C on a cool setting.

I still mouth breathe at times during the night, but the collar allows a lower CPAP pressure.

As far as a collar with holes, you might have to drill your own. They are cheap enough you can experiment.
Sheffey

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Sheffey wrote:I also get hot and I live in a hot, humid subtropical climate. The collar is comfortable to me, but I do have the A/C on a cool setting.

I still mouth breathe at times during the night, but the collar allows a lower CPAP pressure.

As far as a collar with holes, you might have to drill your own
. They are cheap enough you can experiment.
Hmmm...not a bad idea. I'll experiment and report back.