How to Replace Lost CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LundGuy

How to Replace Lost CPAP?

Post by LundGuy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:15 am

Have been using my CPAP (ResMed S9 Autoset and H5I Humidifier with Mirage Swift FX nasal pillow mask) for nearly 1.5 years with good success. Have been monitoring the forum for some time but have just registered. So, am not new to CPAP although I am a new user in the forum.

Recently I was on a vacation fishing trip to upstate NY. When packing up to leave the cottage we had rented, we were a bit rushed. Wife was helping and placed case with my CPAP and all accessories on the tongue of the boat trailer thinking I would pack it into our vehicle. Since it was not on the ground with the rest of our stuff, I didn't see it on the trailer and did not pack it into the vehicle. As a result, somewhere in Tupper Lake, NY my CPAP decided to abandon the boat trailer. So I lost the case, CPAP machine, and all accessories. Now I'm trying to get a replacement but am getting very little cooperation from my supplier (Lincare).

I have two questions:
1) What exactly do I have to do to get Medicare to pay for a replacement for my lost equipment? (I can't be the first person ever to have lost his CPAP, can I?) Please be as specific as possible. Whom do I contact? What information do I have to supply? Where do I send required information in order to get Medicare to pay for the replacement? Etc.
2) Since Lincare has been reluctant to help me, what other supplier (perhaps online?) would you folks recommend that might provide better service both in the immediate future helping me get replacement equipment and in the extended future regularly supplying me with CPAP supplies?

Thanks to all who make this forum so helpful to those of us who are less knowledgeable.

LSAT

Re: How to Replace Lost CPAP?

Post by LSAT » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:18 am

I don't think Medicare is responsible for your lost CPAP. Either pay out of pocket for a new or used machine or try to make a claim on your Home Owners Policy if you have a very low deductable. Check with secondwindcpapo.com for very good deals on slightly used and open box equipment.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:19 am

LundGuy wrote:1) What exactly do I have to do to get Medicare to pay for a replacement for my lost equipment? (I can't be the first person ever to have lost his CPAP, can I?) Please be as specific as possible. Whom do I contact? What information do I have to supply? Where do I send required information in order to get Medicare to pay for the replacement? Etc.
Sorry to seem insensitive, but, why should health insurance (medicare) pay for your carelessness in losing something?

file on your homeowners insurance and buy another one, either from an online supplier or one of the members here that have machines for sale.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm

Medicare does not pay for lost durable medical equipment. It's your dime now. They will simply tell you to contact your homeowners insurance. That said, I wouldn't contact your homeowner's insurance for a small claim given some people have had their insurance cancelled after one claim. Medicare is not unique. I don't know of any health insurance company who will provide a replacement for lost/stolen equipment.

Your best bet at this point is to get a copy of the script from your doc/sleep center and buy online. Since Medicare is no longer paying, you don't need to care about compliance.

The worst situation is to have your machine lost/stolen while it is still a rental. You are stuck for a lot more because you don't have a machine to provide compliance.

Note: you may have confused MediCAID requirements with Medicare requirements. Medicaid will provide replacement to those enrolled in Medicaid for lost/stolen/damaged durable medical equipment.

For what it's worth, this is why a lot of folks on here and elsewhere buy a backup machine and take the backup when they travel. If it's lost/stolen/broken, your primary machine is still safe at home.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:30 pm

palerider wrote:
LundGuy wrote:1) What exactly do I have to do to get Medicare to pay for a replacement for my lost equipment? (I can't be the first person ever to have lost his CPAP, can I?) Please be as specific as possible. Whom do I contact? What information do I have to supply? Where do I send required information in order to get Medicare to pay for the replacement? Etc.
Sorry to seem insensitive, but, why should health insurance (medicare) pay for your carelessness in losing something?

file on your homeowners insurance and buy another one, either from an online supplier or one of the members here that have machines for sale.
+ 1 (to all of what PR said)

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Sounds like you need to split the cost of replacement, 2/3 for your wife, 1/3 for you, or the other way around, but it would probably cheaper to just forget it and replace it yourself and never bring it up again.

Blame while there, can be very costly in marrage, best to bite the bullet, and pay more attention in the future. As far as Medicare, you've had your bite at the apple, next one comes with the worm. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:47 pm

very sorry for your loss

I have this one for sale : $550. plus shipping

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/hab/5160764933.html

also have some used pr560p machines
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Baja

Post by Baja » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Actually, Medicare does replace lost or stolen patient owned DME. See page 2 for more info:

http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resme ... eet-us.pdf

You will need to submit a formal letter to your supplier explaining the loss and a police report if it was stolen. The easiest way to start the process is to go back to your doctor and have him submit a new equipment request along with a copy of your letter. If needed, he will also include ancillary documentation like new face-to-face notes (required if providers changed) and confirmation of continued use and need.

The supplier will restart the 13 month capped rental period and you'll be responsible for the new deductible and co-pays.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:58 pm

If you're stuck paying out of pocket, cpap.com, our host is a good source and much cheaper than local ripoff CPAP DME suppliers. You have to learn a bit more how to manage your own therapy, though.

Craigslist can also work and save a lot of money. I've bought several CPAP machines that way and only had one problem machine.

Read the Useful Links in my signature line to figure out what new CPAP machines are good and which aren't.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Baja wrote:Actually, Medicare does replace lost or stolen patient owned DME. See page 2 for more info:

http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resme ... eet-us.pdf

You will need to submit a formal letter to your supplier explaining the loss and a police report if it was stolen. The easiest way to start the process is to go back to your doctor and have him submit a new equipment request along with a copy of your letter. If needed, he will also include ancillary documentation like new face-to-face notes (required if providers changed) and confirmation of continued use and need.

The supplier will restart the 13 month capped rental period and you'll be responsible for the new deductible and co-pays.
And I think they SHOULD because it's a lot cheaper to pay for new stuff than to pay for the stroke or heart attack that may follow untreated apnea. On a cost basis it makes sense for Medicare to replace it.

That's not an invitation to be careless with your CPAP, but sh*t happens and as you can see, there's an allowance for it, within reason.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:05 pm

This is good to know. Nobody is immune to a moment of . . . "Duh?"
Making sure it does not ruin your health is cheaper in the long run--for everyone.
Just don't do it again. CMS might get suspicious of repeat offenders.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:46 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:This is good to know. Nobody is immune to a moment of . . . "Duh?"
Making sure it does not ruin your health is cheaper in the long run--for everyone.
Just don't do it again. CMS might get suspicious of repeat offenders.
Or in the very least, let the folks here know where you are going, so we can collect them as they fall off! We can sell them on Craigslist.

Senior Moments, last week the wife had used a kitchen knife in the oven.

She cook a pie two days later, the plastic handled knife was in the over, caught fire, she didn't know what to do, I put it out with a wet dishrag. I think she would still be watching it burn...... Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:51 pm

I bow to your information Baja. My only comment to the OP at this point is that Medicare may consider a 'loss' to be something like burned in a fire rather than left on the trailer. Cross your fingers! I hope you get one!

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

mike1953

Post by mike1953 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:24 pm

Your best bet is your homeowners ins. For Medicare to even think of replacement you have to show the machine cannot be repaired. The replacement schedule is usually 5 years not just over 1 year.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:41 pm

mike1953 wrote:Your best bet is your homeowners ins. For Medicare to even think of replacement you have to show the machine cannot be repaired. The replacement schedule is usually 5 years not just over 1 year.
well, if they could FIND it, they might not need to REPAIR it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.