Getting set up with my CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: Getting set up with my CPAP machine

Post by 49er » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:39 am

Enchanter wrote:
Julie wrote:If air leaks around the edges of the mask, that's not good. If air blows from the tiny 'intentional' patch of holes, that's CO2 coming out, it's necessary and never cover that patch with bedding - you don't want to rebreathe the CO2.

And I already talked to you about oxygen (O2).

H20 is water! Not relevant.

Oh yea it's water. I meant oxygen. You can't assume I don't need it. What's the criteria?

As far as leakage, it's leaking near the top, nostril height. There's no way to avoid that it seems
You're getting off track Enchanter as I told you via PM. Stay focused on the task of setting up your mask and machine.

49er

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:51 am

49er I just want to know. Is air supposed to come out? When I did the CPAP at the lab, it was like the mask made the air very pressured. With this mask, I feel like it's just a hose blowing air into me, but it's not hard to wear at all because there is no air pressure. It's like feeling wind. Is that how it's supposed to be?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:56 am

You're talking junk now... stop it. If your mask is set up the right way and your machine is set up (all of it was done by Postit before she even sent it to you so we can't figure out what your problem is anyhow - did you take it all apart for some reason?), then just start using it and stop asking random questions.

The next thing we want to hear from you is that you actually used the machine for one whole night all by yourself. Just do it, and then if you have new questions, ask them, but not until you've actually tried it properly. We're all in the same boat and have managed to make it work without any of the fuss you're making. It's time for you to fly - do it!

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:59 am

Julie wrote:You're talking junk now... stop it. If your mask is set up the right way and your machine is set up (all of it was done by Postit before she even sent it to you so we can't figure out what your problem is anyhow - did you take it all apart for some reason?), then just start using it and stop asking random questions.

The next thing we want to hear from you is that you actually used the machine for one whole night all by yourself. Just do it, and then if you have new questions, ask them, but not until you've actually tried it properly. We're all in the same boat and have managed to make it work without any of the fuss you're making. It's time for you to fly - do it!

Julie, I can barely keep the thing in tact. It's not sturdy. Lots of air comes out. So are you saying that it's supposed to just feel like wind or a fan? Not air pressure? When I fill in the gap with my hands, it does start to feel like air pressure.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:02 am

The amount of air you think you feel is immaterial.
"Pressure" is just airflow--why is that so confusing?
If air is coming out, then it is WORKING.
---just put the mask on and turn on the switch.
If you feel air rushing out next to your face, it is a LEAK.
Wiggle the mask or adjust the straps until that stops.
You have a good machine. Get some good sleep and maybe your brain will work better.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:14 am

Enchanter..... do you not have a friend or acquaintance who uses CPAP who would come and take a look at the way you are attempting to use this machine? I suspect even a relatively new user could help you with some of your problems. I am pretty sure most DMEs would help you as they see you as a potential customer.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:33 am

chunkyfrog wrote:The amount of air you think you feel is immaterial.
"Pressure" is just airflow--why is that so confusing?
If air is coming out, then it is WORKING.
---just put the mask on and turn on the switch.
If you feel air rushing out next to your face, it is a LEAK.
Wiggle the mask or adjust the straps until that stops.
You have a good machine. Get some good sleep and maybe your brain will work better.

Yes there is a leak and nothing I can do, no wiggling will help. But I absolutely cannot use the nostrils. It just doesn't fit, I can't. I'll just try to use it then, and hope the air is strong enough to keep my airways open. Scared to go to sleep though cuz I don't want to wake up with a nasty crushing headache from not using it right.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:40 am

But is the leak next to your face or somewhere else?
All cpap masks have vents on the front to permit exhaled air to exit.
That is how they work!

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:52 am

chunkyfrog wrote:But is the leak next to your face or somewhere else?
All cpap masks have vents on the front to permit exhaled air to exit.
That is how they work!
About 60 percent of the air seems to be coming out. My face is getting cut up too with the sharp edges and that's with the silicone. My nostrils cannot reach where they are supposed to. I am thinking this mask doesn't fit me.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:02 am

49er wrote:
mgaggie wrote:My three year old nephew could put the innomed together using the manual. He might put the nasal pillows in upside down, but he could do it. I don't understand why Echanter appears to be having so much trouble.

Its a very easy mask to put together.
Actually, when I tried the hybrid mask, I couldn't manipulate the pillows into the correct position in spite of reading the manual, watching the video, and calling the company. Avi might be right about Enchanter needing an alternative mask.

Enchanter, I think the best option in my stash of old masks might be the Quattro Air, large size. If you feel that might work, PM me your address and I will be happy to send it to you.

49er
Sounds like me 49er. I cannot manipulate the pillows no matter what, period. You are in the same boat as me. There's nothing I can do, no position.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:22 am

How can it be "cutting" your face? I have NEVER had that happen!
How can this happen? It's just impossible. Silicone is soft.
Do you have some skin condition that has not been mentioned?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:33 am

chunkyfrog wrote:How can it be "cutting" your face? I have NEVER had that happen!
How can this happen? It's just impossible. Silicone is soft.
Do you have some skin condition that has not been mentioned?
The silicone is soft, but not the plastic
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:45 am

You have the straps way too tight - the silicone is supposed to inflate when the mask is on - that's why it's called a cushion. IF the leaks (NOT the CO2 vent patch) are bad when the mask is on but not so tight, then the mask does not fit you at all and you need another mask. The one you have was just a random donation (nice but not useful) so you need to find the right one and I suspect you'll only do that when you see the DME to get your machine once you have a prescription. You may just have to wait.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 am

This mask is not going to work for you. It's all I had to send so I am sorry. You can't use it without using the nasal part. You may have to wait till you get a prescription unless someone here can send you a different mask.
Morbius, are you bored?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:58 am

postitnote wrote:This mask is not going to work for you. It's all I had to send so I am sorry. You can't use it without using the nasal part. You may have to wait till you get a prescription unless someone here can send you a different mask.

Perhaps a new photo would be helpful. The last photo posted was showing it NOT put together correctly. If it is still wrong, it won't fit.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?