CPAP producing flow when turned off?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TheComrade

CPAP producing flow when turned off?

Post by TheComrade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:51 am

I am trying to determine if this is normal operation- today I noticed that my CPAP is producing a small airflow even when it's turned off. I have discovered that the machine will power up automatically if I block the intake with my finger but I never noticed this flow just being on all the time. My concern is that the machine is broken somehow and not reacting correctly even when it's on, if a sensor or motor is out of whack.

Any insight appreciated. It's the cheap ResMed S9 and it is around five years old.

LSAT

Re: CPAP producing flow when turned off?

Post by LSAT » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:13 am

The S9 will continue to run for a few minutes to cool down..it always does that...also one of the features available in the S9 is auto start/stop. Check your machine to see if it is turned on. (I don't know what you mean by a "cheap S9...it's a great machine...what model do you have?)

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:12 am

I had the same question when I started out, and I got some good answers in this forum at the following thread (just click on it): viewtopic/t105991/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... 273p285273

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:49 am

The cool-down feature is often mistaken for a defect.
I thought auto-start was not available on the Escapes.
"Cheap" may mean used . . . ?
A used Autoset or Elite would still be a very nice machine especially with low run hours.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:00 am

TheComrade wrote:I am trying to determine if this is normal operation- today I noticed that my CPAP is producing a small airflow even when it's turned off. I have discovered that the machine will power up automatically if I block the intake with my finger but I never noticed this flow just being on all the time. My concern is that the machine is broken somehow and not reacting correctly even when it's on, if a sensor or motor is out of whack.

Any insight appreciated. It's the cheap ResMed S9 and it is around five years old.
the cooldown only happens when you've had the humidifier turned on, if you don't have it attached, or if you've got it turned off, the cooldown feature isn't used. it is documented in the manual, but you probably have to dig a bit for it.

you've got warmed water in the tank, and it's creating more moisture, if you just turn off the machine, then moisture from the tank could make it into the blower.... so leaving the blower running on very low while the tank cools off will prevent any moisture from creeping back into the blower.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.