Traded One Problem For Another

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Laurora

Traded One Problem For Another

Post by Laurora » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:59 am

Another newbie here! I've gotten a ton of helpful tips from the forums, and really appreciate it. My first few nights using my machine I woke up about every 45 minutes, and only lasted about 5 hours using the mask. My pressure ranges from 10-15, and the best I can figure is that the increased pressure would move my mask and startle me awake. Last night I did away with the ramp and adjusted my mask with the pressure at 10. My mask was looser than it had been, since I had read that the mask should "float" on your face. I also used an old t-shirt to make a mask liner. It felt much better and I only woke up about 3 times, and I lasted 6.5 hours with the mask on, and best of all, didn't feel as miserably exhausted as I had the first few nights I used it.

The only problem is that now I have a huge red mark on the bridge of my nose. How on earth is that possible if the mask is looser than it has been, AND I used a liner? I thought for sure I had figured out the magic formula, so this is pretty discouraging. In the past if I had a mark, it disappeared pretty quickly, but it's been 4 hours since I removed the mask, and the mark remains. I like my mask, although the thick part of the headgear (at the base of my neck) is uncomfortable. Any tips or general commiseration?

Jay Aitchsee

Re: Traded One Problem For Another

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 am

Welcome Laurora!
Actually, it sounds as if you're off to a good start using the mask longer each night. It does take some time to get used to.
The bridge of the nose is a sensitive spot for many people. The Simplus, though, in my opinion is more forgiving than most. It does not require the forehead strap to be very tight at all, perhaps you could loosen the top a little more. Good job on making a mask liner, but maybe that is causing some irritation?
What I've done in the past is use a small circular bandage, you know, those that are about the size of a nickel or so, placed on the bridge of my nose before donning the mask for a few nights. This tends to prevent further irritation and allows the nose to heal while it toughens up.
I use the ResMed Quattro Air headgear with the Simplus, it's not quite so bulky.
Good sleep to you,
J

Last edited by Jay Aitchsee on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:19 am

Since you are using a full face mask, It sounds as if your mask may be slipping down, or is possibly too small. I know that if my chin drops while using mine, it sometimes causes the mask to slip. you could try a chin strap and see if that helps.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:57 am

I had just the same thing happen to me the other day when trying new masks. I got a little freaked when the spot was still red in the evening. I read the posts here, and this is what I did.

I put a little lansinoh on the spot and cut a small square of 3M micropre medical paper tape to cover the irritated area. In the morning, I let the steam of the shower work the paper tape off. Then, I put a little more lansinoh on the spot for the day. I've had no more issues. Funny, in my case the ffm never irritated at all. This was trying nasal maks. I would agree that the Simplus is pretty forgiving; however, there's always the case of mask compatibility with all of us. Continued problems after trying to address might require trying a few other models.

Keep in mind that not all spots may be irritation that can addressed by covering. I've read on the site, that some might be made worse by adding more layers on top of the spot. If you use bandages, tape, etc., to cover and things get worse. You might be in this category. As always with xpap, it's either one way or the exact opposite. We never know until trying to see what works for us.

You're at the right place for help. The people on the site are fantastic! Wish you continued progress with your therapy.

Best,

Mike

Laurora

Post by Laurora » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:01 am

You guys are awesome! Thanks for not only the support, but the suggestions. I think I'll do a few experiments over the next few nights. Cover the spot then perhaps no cover/liner. It's interesting that I didn't have redness until I used my improvised liner, so maybe that caused the irritation. Also intrigued by the suggestion of different headgear with the same mask. Didn't even think of that!

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:06 am

Quick question - are you wed to a FFM or have you/would you try other types? I found nasal pillows to touch and rub least but took a while to get my nasal passages clear.

Laurora

Post by Laurora » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 am

I wish I could but I am a full on mouth breather at night. Laying down just doesn't allow me to get enough air when I (attempt to!) breathe through my nose. I worry that a nose mask/chin strap would make me too panicky, but I'm willing to give it a shot down the line once I adjust a little more to this new lifestyle!

fdw

Post by fdw » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 am

When I first starting using a FFM I had the same redness that within a few days turned into a sore.

What worked for me:
At night about an hour before I went to bed I used Liquid Bandaid on the sore, I would apply a very thin layer then let it dry for about 5 minutes and then apply another layer. It does burn when first applied but not that bad.....It really works and actually toughens the skin. Keep applying until the soreness is completely gone. After my sore healed I haven't had any problems at all.

TIP: in the morning use a warm to hot wash cloth on the Liquid Bandaid to remove it....the key to removal is to keep the area moist until you can peel it off without causing trauma to the sore. You'll need air during the day for healing.

BTW, if the mask is causing redness it will most likely cause a sore at some point in time.
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 am

Laurora wrote:I wish I could but I am a full on mouth breather at night. Laying down just doesn't allow me to get enough air when I (attempt to!) breathe through my nose. I worry that a nose mask/chin strap would make me too panicky, but I'm willing to give it a shot down the line once I adjust a little more to this new lifestyle!
I think this is a good strategy! There's a lot to take in at the start. To me, starting and learning to tolerate a ffm can have a benefit. Even if you move to a nasal interface down the road, you will always be able to use the ffm for congestion or medical issues that might preclude a nasal interface. Of course, if a ffm was keeping you from working at therapy, then one should explore other options much sooner. I know that others see it the opposite. They feel that starting wiht the most comfortable interfaces accelerates sleep and therapy success. There's merit in each approach. and the many points between.

Best,

Mike

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:21 am

When using a full face mask, I noticed each new cushion tried to build a blister on my nose for the first three days or so.
The band aid stopped the blister, so I made it a habit for the "break-in" period of new cushions.
Sometimes I would forget to remove the band aid until I was at work.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:41 am

You are off to an incredibly good start! Yes, there are speedbumps along the way. It sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice about how to try to solve them. We're all different, so what works for one may not work for another - but there are enough people on here who have been through what you are going through that you'll get a lot of good help. I'm also a mouth breather, but the FFM makes me feel claustrophobic. I use nasal pillows and a chin strap. I don't use tape - though some people swear by it. With the chinstrap, the leak numbers aren't great, but they rarely exceed the maximum recommended.

Keep up the great work!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:55 am

Some good suggestions have been offered. I only have one thing to add regarding full face masks. I like the AirFit F10 and have good luck with no red spots and very low leaks. I do use a Padacheek liner with the Remzzz on top for comfort etc, however I think I'm the only one that does that here. My method is a bit more time consuming but it's worth it to get great results. Anyway, masks are a very personal item... as is one's face Sounds like you have a great attitude so I'm sure you will find the right combo for you

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:40 pm

I made my own liners out of micro-fleece. You could probably find it at a local fabric store for a good price right now. The micro-fleece is very soft and thick enough to feel cushy against your face without seeping air. I tried using regular fleece and it was too thick/porous to work. I haven't had any nose sores since.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Laurora wrote:I wish I could but I am a full on mouth breather at night. Laying down just doesn't allow me to get enough air when I (attempt to!) breathe through my nose. I worry that a nose mask/chin strap would make me too panicky, but I'm willing to give it a shot down the line once I adjust a little more to this new lifestyle!
Are you doing nasal cleansing before bedtime?
If you're using a higher humidifier setting, try turning it down or off and use cooler or "passover" humidity.

What you've described is my problem, too. And, that's what I've done to improve my nasal breathing and overall therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sleepy Pete

Post by Sleepy Pete » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:05 am

For the nose mark -
The thing I found weird was that when the forehead strap is correctly adjusted the plastic forehead piece doesn't touch your forehead when the air pressure is on. Like you said, the mask floats there and the strap just stops it pulling out too far.

If you haven't already, try adjusting the straps that attach to the plastic piece that sits against your forehead as follows:

1. put mask on and turn machine on so you have air pressure in the mask, i'd suggest not using a liner.
2. loosen the strap until you start getting leaks around your nose.
3. tighten it a little again until the leaks stop.
4. try moving your head around to see if that causes any leaks. If it does, tighten the strap a tiny bit more until those stop.
5. if you get leaks anywhere else than around your nose, try adjusting the bottom straps and/or moving the mask up or down a little.

For me, the above worked pretty well. I still have a red mark in the morning but it goes away pretty fast.

I also had the same problem with the strap at my neck. For that, pulling it up a little (so that it sits more on the bump at the back of my head and not so much on my neck) helped.

Good Luck!