CA s

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sclark08

CA s

Post by Sclark08 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:36 am

last night 16 Ca s no major leaks 1 hypopnea no Obstructives?? what does that mean

archangle

Re: CA s

Post by archangle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:45 am

You're cured. Thanks for playing.

As far as the numbers go, it sounds pretty good. Look at how long the CA's are. Unless they're really long, it sounds pretty good. Do you feel OK or have other problems.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:02 am

I feel good. Most of the ca s were in clusters beginning of night end of night
I probably wasnt even sleeping at those times. Thanks so much!

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:22 am

Sclark08 wrote:I feel good. Most of the ca s were in clusters beginning of night end of night
I probably wasnt even sleeping at those times. Thanks so much!
If you weren't sleeping at the time, the CAs probably didn't even exist. When you are awake, you'll sometimes go more than 10 seconds between breaths - since the machine doesn't know you are awake, it inaccurately counts those as apneas (usually central apneas, because your airway isn't obstructed - you are just paying attention to something else and holding your breath for some reason - for example, turning over or trying to identify a sound).

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks Nick and Archangle. I took a whole pain pull last night (hydrocodone) for my arthritis and that probably had some bearing also. I usually take 1/2 pill but we unloaded a bunch of firewood and I was hurtin! Thanks again for your insight!

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Also, a burst of short centrals is fairly common when you are transitioning from awake to asleep. It is your brain trying to figure out which part of it has breathing duty. It is not though to be harmful.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Apneas (both central and obstructive) are known side-effects of pain pills. Opioids depress respiration (increasing the likelihood of CA's) and they also reduce muscle tone (increasing the likelihood of OA's).