Leaks During Sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JQLewis

Leaks During Sleep

Post by JQLewis » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:43 pm

When I switched to a nasal mask from a FFM, my main concern was mouth breathing. Fortunately my leak data was pretty consistently low. My AHI was well managed and I thought everything was fine. Lately though, it's all been going downhill, fast. My leak data is out of control. Once again I thought mouth breathing was the problem. I decided to try taping my mouth shut. I shaved off my beard so I could make it work. The result? The leaks are even worse.

I'm sure the taping worked. No way I could have opened my mouth with the tape in place and it was in place when I woke up. As always, the leaks never show up when I start to sleep. Also, after I wake up for the final time (always too soon) and I lie there, trying to get back to sleep, the leaks are manageable. It's when I'm asleep that things go wrong. What could I be doing while I sleep? Tap dancing? Aerobics? How can I control what happens when I'm in deep sleep? How can I know what's going on?

My sleep study showed severe frequency of PLMDs, but the report regarded the PLMD arousal index as "within normal limits". Could that be it? Am I simply thrashing around when I sleep? If so, how can I stop it, or keep the mask in place despite it?

Sleep Study-Titration Study
Help find the undiagnosed. Send me a PM if you'd like to help (http://osaaction.org)

OkyDoky

Re: Leaks During Sleep

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:46 pm

If you are not already using one, with my N10 it was a liner that tamed the leaks.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:48 pm

JQLewis wrote:When I switched to a nasal mask from a FFM, my main concern was mouth breathing. Fortunately my leak data was pretty consistently low. My AHI was well managed and I thought everything was fine. Lately though, it's all been going downhill, fast. My leak data is out of control. Once again I thought mouth breathing was the problem. I decided to try taping my mouth shut. I shaved off my beard so I could make it work. The result? The leaks are even worse.

I'm sure the taping worked. No way I could have opened my mouth with the tape in place and it was in place when I woke up. As always, the leaks never show up when I start to sleep. Also, after I wake up for the final time (always too soon) and I lie there, trying to get back to sleep, the leaks are manageable. It's when I'm asleep that things go wrong. What could I be doing while I sleep? Tap dancing? Aerobics? How can I control what happens when I'm in deep sleep? How can I know what's going on?

My sleep study showed severe frequency of PLMDs, but the report regarded the PLMD arousal index as "within normal limits". Could that be it? Am I simply thrashing around when I sleep? If so, how can I stop it, or keep the mask in place despite it?
I guess my questions relate to WHY you switched masks and what mask were you using previously?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JQLewis

Post by JQLewis » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
JQLewis wrote:When I switched to a nasal mask from a FFM, my main concern was mouth breathing. Fortunately my leak data was pretty consistently low. My AHI was well managed and I thought everything was fine. Lately though, it's all been going downhill, fast. My leak data is out of control. Once again I thought mouth breathing was the problem. I decided to try taping my mouth shut. I shaved off my beard so I could make it work. The result? The leaks are even worse.

I guess my questions relate to WHY you switched masks and what mask were you using previously?

Den

My first mask was a Quattro FX and I had it for four months before I got a non-brick and could find out how much it was leaking. I tried to tame the leaks for a bit, without success. I'd already been trying to train myself to nose-breathe, so in October I ordered a n N-10 and until two weeks ago it was fine. Leaks were maybe 2% or less. I recently ordered a Philips Respironics TrueBlue gel nasal mask, but I haven't gotten it yet.

Sleep Study-Titration Study
Help find the undiagnosed. Send me a PM if you'd like to help (http://osaaction.org)

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:16 pm

If you're not aware of leaks through the mask, and you can't leak through the mouth, that leaves the possibility of an equipment leak. Carefully check the hose all fittings and humidifier with the machine running and hose blocked. Ya never know...

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:24 pm

If the leaks are from locations other than the cpap end, it would be better to wake up than to keep sleeping.