Taking Mask Off In My Sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MsCJBC

Taking Mask Off In My Sleep

Post by MsCJBC » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:27 pm

After two weeks of successful use, I woke up this morning to find my machine turned off and the mask on the bed next to me. I have no memory of taking it off, much less turning off the machine. Anyone else experience this? What did you do to stop it?

OkyDoky

Re: Taking Mask Off In My Sleep

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:22 pm

It's a common newbie post. You might want to read the answers at this post. viewtopic/t103102/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... ff#p964779
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:22 pm

Hey, better than MY noob mistake, which is that I left the mask ON, but the hose disconnected and the machine turned off after a bathroom break! Woke up after about two hours and hooked back up.

Minky

Post by Minky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm new to CPAP as well, started on 12/9. One night about two weeks ago I woke up with the machine turned off and the mask was under my pillow . I think the reason why is that I was a little bit congested and turned the humidifier way up to compensate. It got way too hot and moist inside the cushion (wearing the Eson nasal mask that night). It also caused some rainout. I've left the humidifier at 3 since then and haven't had any more issues with either rainout or taking my mask off in my sleep.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Pretty much it's something you need to train yourself away from. (My HS English teacher would slap me for that sentence) the mask at night is a new sensation that you need to get used to. Each time you wake like this, remind yourself the mask is needed, re-gear and go back to sleep. Create the new habit.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Fruttipebbles

Post by Fruttipebbles » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm doing the same thing. I've only had my mask about 3 weeks but haven't slept with it longer than 4 hours except once. My average is 2.5 hours each night.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:40 pm

You could always try lightly taping the straps to you, so that if it happens again, it'll wake you enough to stop doing it.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:27 pm

I've removed my mask a few times when I first started. I still do sometimes, usually when I'm particularly stressed/restless.

I found the best thing was to not worry about it, laugh at yourself for managing to remove it and move on. Just don't forget to put your mask back on.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:40 am

For me, getting a comfortable mask finally solved the problem. I used to do this constantly when I wore full face masks because I found them to be torture as I couldn't get any of them to fit properly without massively tightening the straps. A total losing proposition.

Recently, I did take off the mask in my sleep for the first time in months after taking a Temazepam to get back to sleep. I will blame the med since that is an easy scapegoat.

But back on topic - The consistent tips for keeping masks on are normally good advice. However, if your mask is uncomfortable and doesn't fit well, then without addressing the underlying issue, using those tips is like beating your head against the wall.

49er

NewToBiPap

Post by NewToBiPap » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:46 am

I am a new as well to the cpap/bipap world. Its funny to read this topic because it happen to me last night or early this morning. I woke up and my mask was sitting on top of the machine. I put it back on and went back to sleep like nothing happened. Mask Goblins I tell u