AHI Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roadkingrick

AHI Question

Post by roadkingrick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm

What exactly, Does 0.3 AHI mean? I understand the whole numbers representing the 10 second pauses, but whats the .3 mean 3/10ths ? I have an S9

Pugsy

Re: AHI Question

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:42 pm

AHI is a per hour average of all the events over the entire night.
So yes, three tenths per hour average. You probably had only 1 or 2 events over the entire night and diving that 1 or 2 by the number of hours when the machine was on will give you the per hour average.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

roadkingrick

Post by roadkingrick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:58 pm

well that was easy, thanks so 5hrs with a ahi of 5.0 is one an hour. Hence 1 in 5 hours would be 0.2 ?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:06 pm

I think the machines just do tenths (one decimal point) on the LCD screen. Sleepyhead software goes to hundredths or 2 decimal points.

Less than 1.0 AHI usually means next to nothing in terms of number of events if there were any hours of use at all.
Pretty darn good and hard to beat.

AHI is an average per hour over the entire sleep session. The apnea events may have all happened in one hour or spread out over entire sleep session.
AHI of 5.0 means an average of 5 per hour so over 5 hours the total number of events would be 25.
AHI of 1.0 means an average of 1 per hour over 5 hours and the total number of events would be 5.

Last edited by Pugsy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:17 pm

roadkingrick wrote:well that was easy, thanks so 5hrs with a ahi of 5.0 is one an hour. Hence 1 in 5 hours would be 0.2 ?
no an ahi of 5 is 5 per hour, on average, so for 5 hours, 25 incidents.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Agree with PR.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:16 pm

palerider wrote:
roadkingrick wrote:well that was easy, thanks so 5hrs with a ahi of 5.0 is one an hour. Hence 1 in 5 hours would be 0.2 ?
I thought my brain had shorted out again. Thanks for clearing the fog.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:
palerider wrote:
I thought my brain had shorted out again. Thanks for clearing the fog.
confusing a custodian of such dangerous machinery as you operate is not something I'd like to see happen!

you might be musing over that puzzling bit of misinformation while driving and... well, let's just not.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Gparr

Post by Gparr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:56 am

Not to hijack this thread...but Ido have an AHI question.

I am just passing the 1.5 years of therapy. My AHI has been sitting on .3 to .8 for quite awhile. Should I (or are there any ways to) try and get it to 0?

If it doesn't fit, force it...if it breaks, it was meant too!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:07 am

Gparr wrote: My AHI has been sitting on .3 to .8 for quite awhile. Should I (or are there any ways to) try and get it to 0?
I wouldn't try if it were me. Less than 1.0 AHI means maybe one or two or three events during the night and depending on what they are there might not be anything that can be done anyway. Like if the flagged event was a central..it's normal to have an occasional central anyway and we can't fix them with cpap machine anyway.
Plus it's possible that the machine has maybe flagged awake breathing SWJ irregularities as some sort of event and it really isn't worthy of a flag.

AHI 0.0 doesn't guarantee anything except seeing a nice math score. Doesn't guarantee the "miracle" or really much of any change in how a person might feel.

I remember a long time ago a newbie who was lucky enough to get an AHI of 1.4 right from the start but was so intent on getting the 0.0 thing that he/she kept raising the pressure in an effort to kill all events and all that happened was a really bad case of aerophagia. The AHI never really changed but the belly pain got to be really bad.
AHI 0.0 is nice to see when it happens but it is an unrealistic goal to strive for.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:33 am

Gparr wrote:Not to hijack this thread...but Ido have an AHI question.

I am just passing the 1.5 years of therapy. My AHI has been sitting on .3 to .8 for quite awhile. Should I (or are there any ways to) try and get it to 0?
the relentless quest for 'perfection' will quite possibly result in worse sleep.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 am

One thing to remember about AHI is that it's an average, and so it could possibly be hiding something serious. If you have short events that don't wake you up, scattered throughout the night, then you are getting plenty of good sleep. But if the events are long or clustered in such a way that your oxygen levels are getting compromised, then that IS serious. Remember that AHI is a count of events, and if you stop breathing long enough to cause brain damage or death it only takes one!

That would be pretty unusual -- usually if events are big they are also going to be frequent. But this is why you shouldn't just focus on one number, you need to put your numbers in context. And this is what is scary about using a brick -- your first sign that your (low) AHI isn't the whole story could be waking up dead...

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:57 am

roadkingrick wrote:What exactly, Does 0.3 AHI mean? I understand the whole numbers representing the 10 second pauses, but whats the .3 mean 3/10ths ? I have an S9
3/10 is right, but not 3/10ths.... 3 per 10 hours, is the way to interpret it (it's an average rate per hour so .3 in 1 hour becomes 3 in 10 hours). You probably didn't sleep for 10 hours, so it's likely that you had 2 in roughly 6 hrs 40 min (give or take 10 min or so) or 1 in 3 hrs 20 min (give or take 5 min or so).