New Battery and Amp-Hour Data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thanantos

Re: New Battery and Amp-Hour Data

Post by Thanantos » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:16 am
You might try using it at home, without charging to see what the real usage time is for a fully charged pack first. Jim

Giving you a Best Case Idea.
Good idea, and that's my plan. My camping trip isn't until August so I'll have some time to mess with it at home.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:18 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:12 pm
But you are running through an inverter - this has little relevance to running on DC power.
I am running on mains power but OP is proposing to use a https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Generat ... YVG4G?th=1 which has an inverter which he may or may not use.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:18 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
But you are running through an inverter - this has little relevance to running on DC power.
I am running on mains power but OP is proposing to use a https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Generat ... YVG4G?th=1 which has an inverter which he may or may not use.
Running with the inverter would be completely counterproductive. This is especially true with the Dreamstation which will run on 12V with a cheap cord (which the poster said he ordered). This particular powerpack doesn't have a 12V "cigarette lighter" socket, so it will need a 5.5 mm socket adapter (included?), which has become somewhat standard with these devices.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:49 pm
Running with the inverter would be completely counterproductive. This is especially true with the Dreamstation which will run on 12V with a cheap cord (which the poster said he ordered). This particular powerpack doesn't have a 12V "cigarette lighter" socket, so it will need a 5.5 mm socket adapter (included?), which has become somewhat standard with these devices.
If it meets his needs then its fine.
It does mean though that my calculations include the inverter overhead and the switching power supply overhead.
I would try it through the inverter at home first.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:25 am

Jack Burton wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
It does mean though that my calculations include the inverter overhead and the switching power supply overhead.
When talking cpap, "inverter BAD, direct 12v connection, GOOD".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 am

palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:25 am
Jack Burton wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
Unless you buy a non standard like Resmed. K.I.S.S., if you want to play away from your house power. :roll: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:29 am

Goofproof wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 am
palerider wrote:
Unless you buy a non standard like Resmed. K.I.S.S., if you want to play away from your house power. :roll: Jim
You'd be wrong about that. The same principle applies. The ResMed converter is very efficient at boosting the voltage. :roll:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:29 am
Goofproof wrote:
palerider wrote:
You'd be wrong about that. The same principle applies. The ResMed converter is very efficient at boosting the voltage. :roll:
It's hard to get more efficient than not having to use one, also it doesn't pack and carry it's self. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:29 am
Goofproof wrote:
palerider wrote:
It's hard to get more efficient than not having to use one, also it doesn't pack and carry it's self. :lol: Jim
Which has absolutely nothing to do with your first erroneous allegation that "inverter bad, 12v connection good" doesn't apply some how with Resmeds.

Thanantos

Post by Thanantos » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 am

Welp, I bit the bullet and bought the battery. It came yesterday, and I used it overnight with great success. I pulled off the humidifier and ran just the CPAP on 12 volts. Dreammapper says I had 90% pressure at 8.5.

The battery has 5 lights to indicate it's charge, and when I woke up after 7.5 hours 4 of them were still lit.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:10 am

Thanantos wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 am
Welp, I bit the bullet and bought the battery. It came yesterday, and I used it overnight with great success. I pulled off the humidifier and ran just the CPAP on 12 volts. Dreammapper says I had 90% pressure at 8.5.

The battery has 5 lights to indicate it's charge, and when I woke up after 7.5 hours 4 of them were still lit.
Sounds good. Which battery did you get?

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

bcemail

Post by bcemail » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:26 am

CapnLoki wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:18 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
Can you explain this a little more? Going camping and trying to figure out what power pack to get. For now, 1 night at a time, but might be 2 nights down the line. I have the DreamStation, running at 13 pressure. I prefer the humidifier but if it uses too much juice I would be willing to go without. I don't think I use any other preheating or heated tubes.

The electricity stuff is over my head, so not sure about wH, amps, etc. Most are listed in watt hours but then I see figure about amp hours as well. I assumed I would just plug my machine with the regular cord, but sounds like a cigarette lighter connection is better? And want to make sure I have enough power. If it was 2 nights, would it be feasible to stick in the car and run the car to recharge the pack? Or would that take forever?

The only other device I need to charge is a medical device for my daughter. I'm trying to get more info on the needs for that, from the brochure it lists it as a "Rechargeable lithium ion battery, 3.7V, 1000 mAh". Again, didn't know if the 3.7V was total, or per hour or something?

Also saw mention you recommend Thanantos to get a lithium pack for charging in the car/motorcycle but not familiar with this.

Thanks so much for all the info on this site, would be way more confused without it!

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am

So...if I want to adapt this setup, not for the road, but for home use when we frequently lose power in the middle of the night (solar system, we didn't buy enough storage batteries, rookie mistake), will the "battery tender" keep me from aging the battery prematurely if I keep it plugged in to wall power at all times? I'm looking for a UPS-like solution to run a PR 560P with humidifier and heated hose seamlessly during power failures.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 am

Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am
So...if I want to adapt this setup, not for the road, but for home use when we frequently lose power in the middle of the night (solar system, we didn't buy enough storage batteries, rookie mistake), will the "battery tender" keep me from aging the battery prematurely if I keep it plugged in to wall power at all times? I'm looking for a UPS-like solution to run a PR 560P with humidifier and heated hose seamlessly during power failures.
His main battery thread his here: viewtopic/t114012/Choosing-a-Battery.html

It's long, but well worth the time to read it.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 am
Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am
His main battery thread his here: viewtopic/t114012/Choosing-a-Battery.html

It's long, but well worth the time to read it.
Thanks. After another night of interrupted sleep figuring this out is my priority project for today. Headed to the city tomorrow so may be able to buy a pretty box for my ultimate setup. :wink:

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke