claustrophobia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
whoodeedoo

claustrophobia

Post by whoodeedoo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:45 pm

I feel I need a full face mask, but I have terrible claustrophobia. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Mask suggestions?

Pugsy

Re: claustrophobia

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:49 pm

To save time and fingers typing....what mask models have you tried and failed with?
That way we won't waste time suggesting something you have already tried.
Also...what pressure are you starting the night out with? Using the ramp?
and what part about the claustrophobia gets you going? Is it just the bulk of the mask or breathing difficulties or what?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:58 pm

whoodeedoo wrote:I feel I need a full face mask, but I have terrible claustrophobia. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Mask suggestions?
Low pressures and warm humid air can contribute to that, too.

Please fill in your profile with all the equipment and settings you're using.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm

whoodeedoo wrote:I feel I need a full face mask, but I have terrible claustrophobia. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Mask suggestions?
My claustrophobia was so severe that I avoided getting a CPAP for many years. During that time my apnea progressed from mild to severe.

Please look at my post regarding the Oracle mask. Link in my signature block. It turned out to be a lifesaver for me.
It is not the easiest mask to use but the claustrophobia issues with it are significantly less.

I assume you are trying to use some kind of nasal mask and are having issues with fit and leaks.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:13 pm

bach flower remedies, mimulus... it worked to alleviate the claustrophobia of a friend of mine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

whoodeedoo

Post by whoodeedoo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:23 pm

I use a respironics remstar auto, ds 550. My pressure is 8-12. I am using a nasal mask, a respironics nuance nasal pillows. I just picked up a respironics Amara full face mask. I hope I can handle it. It was a lot more comfortable breathing through it vs nasal pillows.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Resmed F10 is one of the least confining, but try to P10 nasal pillows too. They are much easier to use than the Nuance, which I also own.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 pm

I've never had this problem myself, but I've been told the best way to get used to it is use your mask without the hose while sitting up watching TV or reading a book at first so that you get used to it. That way there is no air flow issues as you get used to the mask on your face. Then hook it up and use it sitting up so that you get used to it with the air flow.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:47 pm

I get it bad but better with special cut out pillow and no heat/humidity.

Ramp does not help either.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:37 am

cpaptotalcare wrote:I found an answer in our FAQ that might help.

The original source is here.
Sounding like a broken record.

Why don't you answer CURRENT questions and actually answer them personally? Everybody is different. Your are following specific replies with a generic response. The whole point in coming to this forum is to get solutions for specific problems. Anybody can go read a FAQ, but it is so much better to have answers that deal directly with the person's problems, what machine and mask they are using, their pressure settings, etc.

Do you read any of the posts? Or are we just a marketing campaign for you? If all you do is post commercials, you will find that people dislike you fairly quickly, and people might start hitting the spam button to delete your posts.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

cherylann

Post by cherylann » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:40 am

".... to get used to the mask and the feeling of air flowing...."

I have a question about this comment. I don't feel any air flowing. Maybe this is why I haven't been able to adapt to CPAP in the 4 years I have been trying. Is something malfunctioning? I feel a little bit of air if I put my hand at the top of my mask which is what the DME told me is what tells me it's working. And then, every time my mask shifts, I feel air coming out around the edges. But, if I am lying perfectly still, I don't feel air flowing.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:12 am

Maybe they were taking poetic license?

You wouldn't feel the air 'flow' normally, but I imagine if your settings were very high you'd be aware of that.