nose itches causes me to remove mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
blueeyes

nose itches causes me to remove mask

Post by blueeyes » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 am

I am having trouble with my nose itching every single night. I remove the mask scratch my nose and go back to sleep but this happens 3 or 4 times every night. I cannot figure out what is causing the itching. I know this is affecting my sleep I have tired a nose spray for dry noses but did not seem to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: nose itches causes me to remove mask

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:03 am

Use a warm wet washcloth (no soap) before masking up.
If you rub like it already itches, it may forget to itch later,
--due to mild sensory overload.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:44 pm

blueeyes wrote:I am having trouble with my nose itching every single night. I remove the mask scratch my nose and go back to sleep but this happens 3 or 4 times every night. I cannot figure out what is causing the itching. I know this is affecting my sleep I have tired a nose spray for dry noses but did not seem to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
It's a common problem.
Vigorously rub your nose area where your will sit before you mask up to try to desensitize it.
I also blow into my mask before I put it on in case there's any dust or other particles in the mask which WILL find their way to my nose if I don't. If you're using any kind of face creams or other stuff on your face, you might rethink that.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:00 pm

as Wulfman said ........it's a common problem. I am considering cutting my nose off, but I know if I do that it will still itch

I just stick a finger behind mask, itch like crazy for a second and go back to sleep, but I like the suggestions of the wash cloth before mask and blowing in the mask too before putting it on.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:05 pm

thanks for the suggestions I am going to try the washcloth idea tonight.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:38 pm

blueeyes wrote:I am having trouble with my nose itching every single night.
quite by accident I found out that the air coming in the mask was blowing my nose hair around, and that caused itching feelings at various spots on or near my nose... it never felt like it was *IN* my nose, just on...

trim things up, and the next night, and for some time after, no itching, all night long... then after a while I'd start itching, and remember "ah, time to trim again!".

this was with the same mask you're using.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:00 pm

+1 same here when I itch I know I need to trim my nasal hairs thanks to a post I read by palerider awhile back.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

JimP

Post by JimP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm also getting the nose itch right after putting the mask on but it happens before turning the machine on.

Wonder if it might something to do with static electricity?

Day_Dreamer

Post by Day_Dreamer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:25 pm

If you are using breath rite strips, it could be the glue building up or your skin being sensitive

Otherwise trim your nose hairs and see if that helps

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:05 pm

I usually find it is random cat hairs that have snuck under the mask somehow. Annoying.