How often are you woken up by xPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
justinjustin

How often are you woken up by xPAP?

Post by justinjustin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:39 pm

What are people's sense of the average # of full awakenings they experience during the night.

Are they typically caused by xPAP? I'm on ASV. Before ASV/xPAP I slept 8 hours straight. Now, I find I'm waking up after a few hours and remove the mask and go back to sleep.

Is it normal to wake up without xPAP? Does it change or increase with xPAP?

Wulfman...

Re: How often are you woken up by xPAP?

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:48 pm

justinjustin wrote:What are people's sense of the average # of full awakenings they experience during the night.

Are they typically caused by xPAP? I'm on ASV. Before ASV/xPAP I slept 8 hours straight. Now, I find I'm waking up after a few hours and remove the mask and go back to sleep.

Is it normal to wake up without xPAP? Does it change or increase with xPAP?
You need to break yourself of that bad habit as soon as possible. Many/most of us went through that stage early on in our therapy, but managed to "nip it, nip it, nip it in the bud" (as Barney Fife used to say). You're using this therapy for a reason and any time you're sleeping without it is sliding backwards.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:52 pm

I only awaken when the cat decides to walk over me.

Check your data as to what is happening when you are waking up. Maybe your minimum pressure is not enough to stop all the apneas. It takes a while for the pressure to rise to meet your needs. The less it has to rise the better you will sleep.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:08 pm

When I had my sleep test they asked me how I slept in the first two hours (before they masked me up). I said, "Fine! Same as always!"

My AHI for that two hours was, if I recall correctly, 71.

I wake up much less frequently on CPAP.

If you are waking up more frequently, that bears investigation. Keep in mind, though, that pre XPAP/ASV, perhaps you only thought you were sleeping straight through.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:24 pm

Before cpap, my apnea woke me up plenty.
At first, mask leaks were a frequent disturbance.
for the last 4.5 years, I sleep like a princess waiting for a prince.
--or a frog princess, waiting for my frog-prince.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:25 pm

I never wake up because of the machine....now I might wake up because I am laying in a position that causes pain and the pain wakes me up so I have to change position but the machine or pressure or leaks never wake me up.
Been having some right wrist issues lately and it causes pain which will wake me up if I lay on that wrist and it goes numb.

With the S9 Adapt I have been using since January..I sleep through all those pressure changes...leaks don't wake me up...mask fit issues don't wake me up. On a rare occasion if the dogs permit...I never wake up. 99.9% of the time it's pain somewhere that wakes me up. The other 0.1 % would be external forces I have no control over...noises out side or noises from the dogs or thunderstorm which scares the dogs or the weird sounding sirens 3 days ago that was driving up and down my road blaring.

But never from the machine itself.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:45 pm

justinjustin wrote:Are they typically caused by xPAP? I'm on ASV. Before ASV/xPAP I slept 8 hours straight. Now, I find I'm waking up after a few hours and remove the mask and go back to sleep.
editorial comment:

I always love people poling down that river in egypt, talking about how great they slept "before cpap", discounting the fact that they were choking to death and not resting, but were so exausted, their brain was checking out in desperation to try and get a little something.

then when they actually get rest with cpap, they wonder why they aren't sleeping like the (soon to be) dead anymore.

not saying that's necessarily an aspect of your problem, jj... but...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

justinjustin

Post by justinjustin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:14 pm

palerider wrote:
justinjustin wrote:Are they typically caused by xPAP? I'm on ASV. Before ASV/xPAP I slept 8 hours straight. Now, I find I'm waking up after a few hours and remove the mask and go back to sleep.
editorial comment:

I always love people poling down that river in egypt, talking about how great they slept "before cpap", discounting the fact that they were choking to death and not resting, but were so exausted, their brain was checking out in desperation to try and get a little something.

then when they actually get rest with cpap, they wonder why they aren't sleeping like the (soon to be) dead anymore.

not saying that's necessarily an aspect of your problem, jj... but...

Well i didn't' write I "slept great" before CPAP, just that I slept 8 continuous hours without waking up. Now on ASV, I wake up multiple times a night. ASV or No ASV, I'm still fatigued.

I just want to know if waking up 2-3 times a night is common for people.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:01 am

It's quite possible that the changing pressures are disturbing your sleep. But, with that machine, I don't have any idea how that can be avoided.
Maybe some of the other ASV users on the forum have some ideas.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:39 am

JustinJustin,

Dr. Stephen Park has talked about susceptible patients with UARS having arousals while wearing a cpap mask. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to his statement but I do wonder if that is applicable in my case as I feel I have an UARS component in addition to sleep apnea. What to do about it is another issue.

I know Dr. Avram Gold feels the pressure should be low for UARS patients which is contradictory to what Dr. Krakow believes, whom I know you saw. He feels that the most effective masks for therapy are nasal masks and if the patient can't breathe through their nose, they need get it corrected through an ENT. Who knows who is right?

I do believe though that there is a subset of patients like us who have difficulty with pap therapy no matter what we do or try and it has nothing to do with having a rotten attitude. Unfortunately, working with folks like us isn't a high priority of most sleep doctors since it affects their bottom line. So we are on our own to figure out what works best and how to proceed.

But I guess that is true with many medical conditions as most doctors (not all) simply in general don't like dealing with patients that they can't provide answers for. And in a way, I do understand it even though it makes things obviously tough.

49er

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:53 am

justinjustin wrote:I just want to know if waking up 2-3 times a night is common for people.
From what I have read in general it is fairly common to wake briefly after a sleep cycle. If extremely brief we probably have no memory of the awakening. Has nothing to do with cpap or whatever. Maybe not what we want because I figure if we remember some awakenings we probably also had some more that we don't remember and it's the total of awakenings and how long we take to get back to sleep that creates the problem.

When I wake up I don't really notice that the mask is on or the machine is running. I am fairly certain that any wake ups I experience (and it's very rare for me not to have a few) are from either the normal sleep cycle awakening or external forces that don't related to cpap or sleep apnea...like pain, or dogs or whatever.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ubnoxus

Post by ubnoxus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 pm

My machines have never caused me to awaken, early on I used to wake up wondering if it was working as everything I heard and read said it would be horrible to adjust to, air blasting in the face, pressure going up, etc. I took to it great and never had any issue. Had a few mask issues that caused me to wake up but once I learned the styles that worked and didn't work for me I had no more mask issues.
Using Tapatalk