New to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyMon

New to CPAP

Post by SleepyMon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:29 pm

Hello all,

I've been lurking in your midst for a couple weeks and soaking up the vast knowledge you have here. I had my titration study 5/31 and finally got an appointment at my DME for today.

The DME is big on ResMed, so I came home with the S8 Elite CPAP (with EPR), H3i Heated Humidifier, and Mirage Activa mask.

I am so very thankful that I found cpaptalk and did a bit of research. The first machine they brought out was the Escape, but I asked about pressure relief for exhaling and they gave me the Elite. The machine I used for the titration study did not have Cflex or EPR, and I really felt like I was blowing upwind. The EPR system in the ResMed felt really nice - so much more natural.

My paperwork told the DME that I was on a Fisher & Paykel during the study, but it didn't tell him that I'd had to sleep with my hand pressing down on the mask to keep the seal. I dodged the guy's F&P pitch and ended up with the Mirage Activa. I'm puzzled that he didn't try different cushion sizes with me; he just started with the standard and fiddled with the headgear. He fixed a leak that was blowing air into my eye, so I have fingers crossed that it will seal well at home tonight when I'm on my side and tummy.

I ordered the Autoscan 5.7 software this afternoon. I already own a standard smartcard reader that I'm going to do my darnedest to make work with the skinny ResMed card. I'm an engineer and I just *love* data to graph.

I've been tired/fatigued during the day for so long, I am dying to try the setup tonight. I really hope CPAP is the "silver bullet" cure for my daytime tiredness. My goal is weight loss and I can use all the energy I can get for my daily treadmill sessions.

Thanks again for all the great info you've amassed here-
Monica

brasshopper

Welcome to the club

Post by brasshopper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:21 pm

Welcome to the club no one wants to be a member of. Good luck with your graphing.

Babbie

Post by Babbie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:19 pm

It sounds like you're off to a good start and have been doing your homework. The people on this board are great - they'll do their best to answer any questions you have. Just remember to keep the Activa straps loose - hope you like it (I've used it for several months now). Anyway - welcome and hope things go well for you.

Kathy

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:07 pm

Welcome, and good luck with your treatment...hope you get lots of rest soon!

SleepyMon

First night's data

Post by SleepyMon » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:45 am

I made it through the first night with my mask on. Yippee! The mask did slip down during the night, though. When I woke up this a.m., the lower part of the seal was on my lips. Still, I'm very happy for a first-night try.

The data this morning showed
Leak 0.14 L/s
AHI 3.1
AI 0.3
HI 2.8

Is the leak rate ok or do I have some mask tweaking to do?

Also, do the indices look "healthy"? I'm still not sure what numbers are good or ok or bad.

Thanks,
Monica

RedThunder94

Post by RedThunder94 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:49 am

i am by no means an expert but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say those numbers look great, not bad for a first night's try, if i'm not mistaken any ahi below 5 is considered normal, geez i hope i got that right. good job!

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:09 am

Yes, you are right....and AHI of 5 or below is considered "normal", i.e. healthy. Ain't if grand to know you're normal?

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:40 pm

Bookbear wrote:Yes, you are right....and AHI of 5 or below is considered "normal", i.e. healthy. Ain't if grand to know you're normal?:lol:
Well I guess there is a first time for everything. I've never been normal before!

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:04 pm

I remember something about that.....'Abby' something. Abby Normal....yes, I'm almost certain that was the name.

birdiebaby

Post by birdiebaby » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Welcome & congrats on a great night! Let us know how it goes trying to read your smartcard.

Even non-engineers like data