I am new this and have a bunch of questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cnl390

I am new this and have a bunch of questions

Post by cnl390 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:09 pm

I got my ResMed S9 Autoset about a month ago and I honestly haven't been able to wear it for more than 3 hours a night.
At first I had a real problem with waking up to a super dry mouth, tongue, lips, everything. This was cured by the addition of a chin strap.
Now I wake up sometimes to my mask squealing because of the hurricane like air. I also wake up with what feels like a bad ear infection, but as soon as I take the mask off it goes away in about 15-30 minutes. Am I ever going to get used to this thing?
FYI my machine is set at 6 low, 16 high.

ResMed AirMini

Julie

Re: I am new this and have a bunch of questions

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi, are you using software? SleepyHead (free to download from the forum)?

Rastaman

Post by Rastaman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Julie wrote:Hi, are you using software? SleepyHead (free to download from the forum)?
Hi Julie. I have a question for you about SleepyHead. It doesn't appear to work with Mac. That's fine. I have a PC laptop and a PC in the house. But how does the data get into the system? I haven't seen the interface for the new S9 Autoset yet so it's possible everything you need to plug into the software is right there but how does the software on a PC interface with the S9?

I used to have the Puritan Bennett software and although I was never overly impressed with the graphics it worked for awhile on my back-up APAP (Goodknight 420E) and the APAP itself would connect directly to my computer to get the data off of it. But I suspect that Sleep Head doesn't do this or if it does it requires certain connection/devices/etc. How does Sleepy Head get the data that you need?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:57 pm

Rastaman wrote:
Julie wrote:Hi, are you using software? SleepyHead (free to download from the forum)?
Hi Julie. I have a question for you about SleepyHead. It doesn't appear to work with Mac.
please tell me why you think that sleepyhead doesn't work on a mac.

that's a problem that needs to be addressed.

sleepyhead is *developed* on a mac, so it most certainly does work on a mac.

there's an sd card (or should be) above the filter on the back of your s9

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:20 pm

I have SH on my iMac... haven't used it because I get all the info I personally need through my IP codes on Cpap.com (please check out my machine there... I don't use the module and software that I could if I'd also paid for them, but the online code system is fine for me and unique among all machines... really interesting!

cnl390

Post by cnl390 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:35 pm

I just downloaded and installed. Looks like a lot of awesome info, but I don;t know what any of it means or what I should be looking for.

ResMed AirMini

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:38 pm

cnl390 wrote:
I just downloaded and installed. Looks like a lot of awesome info, but I don;t know what any of it means or what I should be looking for.
read through the first post thread in the annoucements section

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

PlinkerCraig

Post by PlinkerCraig » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Ok. Stop.

Re-read the original post and provide help. Quit the distraction about excellent SleepyHead.

Does this board have moderators?

Plenty of people here like to help others. Stop the nonsense of Mac software installation nonsense and help the original poster with real trouble.

Duffy08

Post by Duffy08 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Can somebody point me towards the SH glossary? I've followed the link from the post on the announcement page, but still cannot find it. I spent quite a bit of time looking for it today, but the link that is supposed to go the glossary takes me to the download for SH, which is not what I am looking for.

Thanks

PlinkerCraig

Post by PlinkerCraig » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Clearly this board has no moderators.
Will anyone provide advice to the original poster that has zero to do with the excellent software.

Questions about installing and using the software need a new thread.

Duffy08

Post by Duffy08 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:41 pm

PlinkerCraig wrote:Clearly this board has no moderators. Image
Will anyone provide advice to the original poster that has zero to do with the excellent software.

Sorry about that--I have started a new thread.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:57 pm

PlinkerCraig wrote:Clearly this board has no moderators. Image

you're on the wrong forum, if you want self important moderators swaggering around smacking users with their riding crops and splitting topics and stuff, you should log into apneaboard.com... they LOVE that kinda stuff over there.

you won't get as much useful info, but it's ORDERLY

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:03 pm

cnl390 wrote:I got my ResMed S9 Autoset about a month ago and I honestly haven't been able to wear it for more than 3 hours a night.
At first I had a real problem with waking up to a super dry mouth, tongue, lips, everything. This was cured by the addition of a chin strap.
Now I wake up sometimes to my mask squealing because of the hurricane like air. I also wake up with what feels like a bad ear infection, but as soon as I take the mask off it goes away in about 15-30 minutes. Am I ever going to get used to this thing?
FYI my machine is set at 6 low, 16 high.
Welcome. Please enter your equipment in your equipment list. There's a link in my signature line on how to do this.

A wide pressure range like that makes it hard to stop leaks. If you fit your mask at 6 cm, it tends to leak when the pressure goes up to 16.

Do you have actual ear pain, or just a feeling of pressure like when you pinch your nostrils and blow until your ears pop?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

PlinkerCraig

Post by PlinkerCraig » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks palerider. I'll quit being a forum policeman.
I took my wife to a private lake park Monday and I remember how nice it was to NOT have signs explaining common sense rules to park visitors. We'll assume everyone here has common sense and learn to ignore folks who... (Edited for brevity)

BTW, speaking of off-topic, the rocket science beginning with H2O2 from last night is a fun read and thanks for posting that. I'm not kidding I'm on page 81. Great stuff!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:31 pm

PlinkerCraig wrote:Thanks palerider. I'll quit being a forum policeman. Image
I took my wife to a private lake park Monday and I remember how nice it was to NOT have signs explaining common sense rules to park visitors. We'll assume everyone here has common sense and learn to ignore folks who... (Edited for brevity)

BTW, speaking of off-topic, the rocket science beginning with H2O2 from last night is a fun read and thanks for posting that. I'm not kidding Image I'm on page 81. Great stuff!
thanks! somewhere, (maybe hackaday) I heard about this blog by a chemist, more specifically this series and while reading through that, I came upon this entry... and was intrigued... it took much searching and finally I located a copy online. (it was a lot easier the second time... lol) and devoured it.

I mean, how can you not like writing that has things like:
but, as usual, there's a catch. If your propellants flow into the chamber and ignite immediately, you'r ein business. But, if they flow in, collect in a puddle, and then ignite, you have an explosion which generally demolishes the engine, and it's immediate surroundings. The accepted euphemism for this sequence of events is a "hard start."
*giggle*

oh, and this one's a goodie. there was a lot of rabbit holing caused by that blog.