s9 fell

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
possum

s9 fell

Post by possum » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:34 am

Hi folks, I pulled my cpap machine off of the nightstand this morning the hose got tangled up in the blanket. This has happens twice before in the past few years with no damage but today it chipped the corner of my s9 and knocked the lid off the humidifier. I snapped the lid back on dried it off and it is working fine so far. My question is how can I stop it from being pulled off the nightstand.

Pugsy

Re: s9 fell

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:36 am

Strap it down to the table???
Perhaps use some sort of hose management to route the hose overhead to lessen the chance of getting all wrapped up in it again??

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:37 am

I put mine in the drawer of my nightstand with the cords running out the back. I can close the drawer during the day when the CPAP is not in use.

possum

Post by possum » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks,
I will buy a Velcro strap today and try wrapping it around it.

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 am

Hey Possum,

CPAP.com sells velcro straps with clips for your hose. You put the velcro strap on the hose and then you can clip the hose to your bed. Then, when you pull on the hose, your are pulling on the clips on the side of your bed instead of your machine.

The straps are not expensive. I use three at once as I don't want to pull on my machine in my sleep. So far, they've worked wonderful.

TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:36 am

Thewino wrote:Hey Possum,
I use three(clips) at once as I don't want to pull on my machine in my sleep.
I can just envision forgetting the clips when taking the sheets off to wash. . .(Insert flying CPAP here)

CPAP By Proxy

Post by CPAP By Proxy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 am

My solution was to buy 2 C-clamps from a hardware store and clamp them onto the shelf in front of the machine. Before I did this, it hit the ground at least twice. Now, it can't move. (Keep in mind, I didn't clamp down the machine, just created an obstacle in front so that the machine couldn't be pulled off the shelf)

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:04 am

One thing to keep in mind for future falls. If it falls on the floor, pick the machine up lifting the blower unit first so that water is likely to drain away from the blower unit. It would be bad to have it fall on the floor, not get water into the unit. but then get water into the blower because you picked it up the wrong way.

If you can figure out a way to route the hose through a hole or gap somewhere, you may be able to arrange things such that you can't pull the machine over. For instance, if you bolted a board to the back of the nightstand, and ran the hose through a hole in that board, the hose would pull the machine back against the board before it fell over.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:13 am

how about a rubber bungie cord around the unit and the night stand .
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 am

I use one of these and it works great - only cost $11.50 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/North-American-He ... B0034CHMRU It has an elastic cord inside that stretches and retracts again. It just slides between the mattress and box spring.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 am

I have a sleigh bed with spindles on the head/footboard. I use the velcro clip cpap.com sells and strap it to the closest spindle. I'm a restless sleeper and tug my hose all over the bed but this has worked great so far. Haven't pulled it off the nightstand since I secured it. If you want to save on shipping, I've seen this type of velcro strap for sale at Office Depot and Home depot.

I'm also a fan of the overhead solution. There's no need to buy a hose management system if there is already something you can suspend it from. In my old house, I routed the hose through the support bracket of a shelf on the wall over the head of the bed.

Another solution might be to attach a hose strap to the back of your nightstand to hold your hose in place. Like the one at the top of this page: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipeclamps.html And if you didn't want your hose semi-permanently strapped down, you could tie it with some string to something attached to your nightstand.

I'm sure there are many other creative solutions out there.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:04 pm

I do the same as LSAT. I have a 2-drawer nightstand and keep the unit in a drawer with the hose coming out the back. No possibility that it can fall. It is quieter and no light is emitted into the room.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:08 pm

I use the hose buddy to keep that end of the hose steady.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:21 pm

I have a swivel plant hanger screwed to the wall. A length of fishing pole is duck taped to that,
and chains of sili-bands hang from the line guides, from which hang ponytail holders, through which my hose runs,
about a foot or so above my head.
OK, it does look weird, but the hose is safe from whatever happens when two old frogs make happy.

onthefreeway

Post by onthefreeway » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:56 am

I use a "hose buddy" too, but I also have my machine on a low footstool about 8 inches off the ground, nestled between the bed and the night table. Works great, and this arrangement kind of hides the machine too. I try not to have the boudoir resemble a medical ward if at all possible.