weight gain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
facetime

weight gain

Post by facetime » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:43 pm

I have had my cpap machine for two years. I use it every night. I have gained eight pounds in these two years. Has anyone else gained weight? My brother lost 15 lbs. Just wondering

Wulfman...

Re: weight gain

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Not everything regarding weight (gain or loss) is due to CPAP usage.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:20 am

Do yourself a favor and don't google it. Some studies say it causes weight gain. Some say weight loss. One study I found about weight gain only looked at first 3 months. There was something said about increased water retention because of hormone changes caused by cpap (i don't know it would be more or less anti diuretic hormone). One said ppl should become more active with cpap use and they don't.

I don't know what to tell you. I am right at 3 month point and I have most definitely gained weight. My sleep apnea is officially treated but I don't feel a whole lot better. So they are right that I am not more active at the moment. I am, though, making small gains in activity. So maybe this will change as time goes on.

My nutritionist and one doctor felt I had or nearly had metabolic syndrome; the nutritionist said I was leptin resistant and that is one of the things cpap is supposed to fix.

HTH
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:17 am

I did see one study that said men tend to lose a few pounds where as
women tend to gain a little bit. I am a man and it didn't seem to make
any difference to my weight at all.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 am

Most weight gain comes from too much food and too little exercise

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:35 am

If that were true, 90% of people would be thin.

I think it is way more complicated for most people than calories in, calories out.

ETA: calories in, calories out is probably good for new dieters or people who rarely diet. Most obese people are professional dieters, which proves diets don't work. Diets do something to people that messes up hormones, etc. It's probably related to the starvation/binge cycle diets promote.
45 year old female

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:41 am

Punchyandtired wrote:If that were true, 90% of people would be thin.

I think it is way more complicated for most people than calories in, calories out.

Actually, if all you do is deal with calories in and out you will control your weight.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:43 am

Krelvin wrote:

Actually, if all you do is deal with calories in and out you will control your weight.
science disagrees with you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am

My Dh is a doctor and one of his partners is a bariatric doctor, so I have talked and talked about this with him (whether surgery leads to long term problems, etc)...

You would think that bariatric surgery works because it reduces calories, and it does.

But one of the most immediate (within days) change they notice is diabetes and any other hormonally related issues disappear completely.

For people who are or once were chronic dieters, there is a hormonal element that gets evoked at some point in the dieting process that actually changes weight set point and the ability to lose weight and maintain weight loss. Also at some point, dieting (perhaps the restriction part of the diet, not the exercise part) screws up endocrine pathways.
Last edited by Punchyandtired on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
45 year old female

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:51 am

This may not be the best link, but it is an example.

http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-an ... ic-surgery

I forgot to mention the diabetes is cured before weight loss is seen after surgery: "Improve or eliminate type 2 diabetes. RYGB can improve diabetes within days, even without weight loss."

We all want to believe weight gain and loss is a matter of willpower but it isnt. Obese people demonstrate willpower every time they diet.

The diet industry wants you to believe that if you just tried one more diet plan, your problems will be solved.

But, I'm not really interested in discussing this point, aside to say that if diets (calorie restriction) worked, there would be no need for a diet industry.

One more from a better source:

" Recently our understanding of neuroendocrine regulation of food intake and weight gain, especially regarding the role of gut hormones, has significantly increased. The changes in these hormones following bariatric surgery can partly explain the mechanism behind weight loss achieved through these procedures..."

" In this paper, we review the effect bariatric procedures have on different gut hormone levels and how they in turn can alter the complex neuroendocrine regulation of energy homeostasis."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/578906

So while gastric bypass restricts calories, one of the most important component that CAUSES weight loss, is a restructuring/realignment of hormones.

Something is damaged along the way during dieting, and surgery fixes it aside from making the stomach smaller.

And perhaps we are speaking about apples and oranges as OP talked about 8 pounds and I'm making the point that for a lot of people, calories in and out doesn't fix actual problems overwieght people have.
Last edited by Punchyandtired on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
45 year old female

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:57 am

palerider wrote:
Krelvin wrote:

As someone who has lost 90 lbs since June simply by diet and next to no exercise due to medical condition I would have to disagree.

It is much harder to do without the exercise but caloric intake is the key.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:59 am

Krelvin wrote:
palerider wrote:
Krelvin wrote:

As someone who has lost 90 lbs since June simply by diet and next to no exercise due to medical condition I would have to disagree.

Congratulations on your success!

Consider whether there is only a one size fits all approach to body size and that what worked for you may not work for others. Keep an open mind about it.

In the last few years I have really changed my thinking about why people are overweight based on new medical research, but of course having a weight loss surgeon in your social circle probably influences talk and thought about it too.

You found out what worked for you. That is the important point.

It's a slippery slope to then say if everyone did what you did they would lose weight.
45 year old female

Elle

Post by Elle » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Calories in/out is outdated thinking. We all metabolise differently and different foods are processed differently.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks to Nuvigil I can bring my point back around to CPAP.

Research is hard to find about CPAP causing weight loss by itself or even "treated sleep apnea results in weight loss" because all the links direct to losing weight will help sleep apnea. So it is really hard to get the search terms right.

Certainly for many people with untreated sleep apnea, there is a hormonal misdirect going on every night. Adrenaline, cortisol etc... There are stress hormones that are activated during an apnea. So many with untreated apnea have an overactive amount of hormones that also keep fat on a body.

Theoretically, these hormones should dissipate with treatment (get back into line of how they should work) and with some people this happens and there are reports of people losing 15-30-50 pounds just by successfully treating OSA.

But there are may who anecdotally report no weight change and some who report weight gain. (Which one study said weight gain with CPAP is a water retention-vascular incident).

So I think it is a crap shoot to see who loses weight, stays the same or gains weight with CPAP.

Also given that 20% of the population have OSA and up to 90% don't know it, I wonder how many people who find it hard to lose weight also have untreated sleep apnea and whether or not treating the sleep apnea will result in easier to lose weight.

I plan to pick the partner's brain about this soon. I find it fascinating.
Last edited by Punchyandtired on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
45 year old female

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Krelvin wrote:
palerider wrote: science disagrees with you.

you can stick your fingers in your ears and say 'lalalalalalala" all you want to, but that won't change the facts.

there's too much experimental data out there, too many studies, that prove that it's a whole hell of a lot more complicated than "calories".

what's a calorie? it's how much energy is given off by something when you burn it in a test tube. now, I don't know if you've ever looked inside a mammal, but there aren't many little fires and test tubes.

but, hey, believe what you want to.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.