No CPAP for 3 weeks - doc won't help - what to do?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
james2

No CPAP for 3 weeks - doc won't help - what to do?

Post by james2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 pm

I ripped the latex on my ResMed Mirage Quattro face mask, it leaks too badly to be used and I cannot repair it.

In order to get another one (California) I have to see a doctor and get a prescription. This cannot be done over the phone, it has to be done in person.

Problem: I cannot get an appointment for 3 weeks and the doctors office won't budge, won't do anything to help even though the doctor only needs to see me long enough to ink a prescription.
I explained my condition, in detail, and was told "then go check into a hospital." Is that even legal to tell me that and be so callus? I doubt my insurance company would be too happy to know my doctor is giving that kind of advice, as hospital stays are quite expensive here in the United States.

I have severe complex sleep apnea. I've been using CPAP since 2004.
I am being told that there is nothing anyone can do, I just have to suffer without a machine for 3 weeks. I will be insane or dead by then. So what are my options here?

Is there some 'thing'..some phrase I can use to get the insurance company or the doctors office to sign this off and get me my equipment? Maybe threatening legal action?

I'm quite nervous here for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated.

HoseCrusher

Re: No CPAP for 3 weeks - doc won't help - what to do?

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:10 pm

eBay or Craigs list may be your friend...

TeamPCBeach

Post by TeamPCBeach » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:12 pm

How about a walk-in clinic. I would think they would write a script for a mask. Task your sleep study with you if you have it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Replacement parts don't require a RX.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage-replac ... dgear.html
If it is just the cushion that is torn you can just buy the cushion if you wish.
You might check out EBay to see if someone is selling your size cushion and save a little money. Just search EBay for "Mirage Quattro" to see what all is available.

Alternately any doctor or dentist or PA or NP can write a RX if they just would do it and it would be valid...even your primary care doctor (if you have one) because it doesn't have to be from an official sleep doctor.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Everybody should have back up supplies, because bad stuff happens way too often.
I just ordered diabetes supplies, and my doctor's office messed up the order.
Luckily, I did not wait until I was completely out, but I don't have to tell them that.
I will, however, lay on a good thick guilt trip at my next appointment.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:37 pm

james2 wrote:I ripped the latex on my ResMed Mirage Quattro face mask, it leaks too badly to be used and I cannot repair it.

In order to get another one (California) I have to see a doctor and get a prescription. This cannot be done over the phone, it has to be done in person.

Problem: I cannot get an appointment for 3 weeks and the doctors office won't budge, won't do anything to help even though the doctor only needs to see me long enough to ink a prescription.
I explained my condition, in detail, and was told "then go check into a hospital." Is that even legal to tell me that and be so callus? I doubt my insurance company would be too happy to know my doctor is giving that kind of advice, as hospital stays are quite expensive here in the United States.

I have severe complex sleep apnea. I've been using CPAP since 2004.
I am being told that there is nothing anyone can do, I just have to suffer without a machine for 3 weeks. I will be insane or dead by then. So what are my options here?

Is there some 'thing'..some phrase I can use to get the insurance company or the doctors office to sign this off and get me my equipment? Maybe threatening legal action?

I'm quite nervous here for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated.
This sounds like a whole lotta "male bovine excrement" to me.
You've been on this therapy for that long and you don't have any backup or spare masks or cushions???
You don't know that the seals are NOT Latex? They're actually silicone (actually, "Silicone Elastomer" in your mask) .
You don't know that you don't have to have a prescription to buy mask parts? Actually, you can buy the complete masks as "kits" to put together yourself.......without a prescription from CPAP.COM.

You need to get more knowledgeable about this therapy and the equipment you're using.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:38 pm

After using XPAP for 11 years, we're you sleeping the whole 11 years? While your doctor's office seems unreasonable, if you ranted to them as in your post, I can see that interfering with them wanting to help.

The answers you have gotten here make sense, not that you should have needed them, being prepared is part if life. It shouldn't take 11 years to find that out. I'd also check the expiration date on my chill pills, it may be time for a refill. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:45 pm

TeamPCBeach wrote:How about a walk-in clinic. I would think they would write a script for a mask. Task your sleep study with you if you have it.
mask parts don't need a script, you can get them anywhere, ebay, amazon, cpap.com, lotsofothercpapsuppliers.com
heck, I've heard some walgreens have cpap stuff.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Wulfman... wrote: This sounds like a whole lotta "male bovine excrement" to me.
You've been on this therapy for that long and you don't have any backup or spare masks or cushions???
You don't know that the seals are NOT Latex? They're actually silicone (actually, "Silicone Elastomer" in your mask) .
You don't know that you don't have to have a prescription to buy mask parts? Actually, you can buy the complete masks as "kits" to put together yourself.......without a prescription from CPAP.COM.
hrmph, and I thought *I* was harsh. you're making me look like a wuss.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Seems like a rough situation. A lot of people aren't aware that your dentist can write scripts for your CPAP equipment as well as your sleep doc or family physician. If you have a good relationship with your community dentist, perhaps he or she would be willing to help you in a jam.

Good luck,
TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Thewino wrote:Seems like a rough situation. A lot of people aren't aware
that you don't need a script for a new mask cushion.

ftfy.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:19 pm

James2 where do you live in California? I may have a lightly used Mirage Quatro or some other mask in my stash that you could use. Depending on the size you like I might even have some thing with a new cushion.

james2

Post by james2 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:39 am

Thanks for the constructive replies. For those that thought it was a load of cow pies: right back atcha.

As for the facts, I'm on a fixed and poverty-level income and can't really afford to buy "spare parts" and never actually thought too. I'm not a cpap geek, I actually hate the thing and hate that I'm forced to use it and am always looking for a cure..but that's not germane to this discussion.

Bwexler: I live in Los Angeles and my mask is size is large.
Whatever the cushion material is made of (latex, silicon, moon dust) yeah..that part. That's what I need.

I'll hound the insurance company in the morning, right now I'm looking at my bed and feeling sick that I cannot use it...and I'm hella tired.

This just can't be legal.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:00 am

Just how long has it been since you last replaced the cushion in your mask??? If it's been years then your doctor is right not to just write an RX for you. The cushion probably became ineffective a long time ago. If you have Medicare or Medi-Cal or both its covered, but reasonable follow up is required. So it sounds like either you're going to have to pony up the out of pocket money or wait the three weeks.

Check Craigslist and Free-cycle. You might find masks. People who give up on their CPAP early sell their machines on Craigslist with masks and hose but a serious buyer doesn't really want someone's used mask. So perhaps you can persuade a seller to sell you the mask separately.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:15 am

james2 : call this person and see if he will help you out

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bfs/4868855073.html

Or sign up on this board and PM me ...I have some masks and can help you out

no one can contact you untill you register on this site so people can contact you.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual