King of the Newbies here!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ducky73

Post by Ducky73 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Hello everyone.
So tonight is my first night with my cpap, which I just picked up today. I was diagnosed with severe OSA about 2 weeks ago, so here I am.

I have been lurking on here for the last day or so, trying to pick up on all of the acronyms, technical lingo and meanings......
I basically have no idea what I'm doing, just looking forward to not falling asleep anytime I sit on the couch, not waking up with splitting headaches, and giving my wife her sleep back!

So here's to my first good nights sleep in a long while (hopefully)......fingers crossed. Looking forward to becoming a member in good standing in this community and learning from you guys!

Cheers.

sleep_quest

Re: King of the Newbies here!

Post by sleep_quest » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Welcome! A good attitude will take you far along on your CPAP journey. It would be helpful if you would fill out your equipment profile so that if you have questions tomorrow the experts will know what kind of answer to give you based on what you are using.

Good luck tonight and post tomorrow and let us know how it went

Ogeo

Post by Ogeo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Welcome!
I remember what it was like 5 months ago when all this was thrown at me. It is a lot to absorb but it does get better. There are a lots of post at the top of the main page for help and a good search that will let you put in any topic that might come up and read whats been talked about before.

Please fill out your equipment under the User Control Panel and use the text method. It will help everyone to give you more specific advice.

Hubby's equipment: PR System One REMstar Auto A-Flex model 560P. Doctor's orders left it open 5-20. We changed it to 8-20 after a couple nights. Start Date was 1/30/15. Oh, mask is the new nasal pico.

Discovering the world one geocache at a time!

Ducky73

Post by Ducky73 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
I guess I need to look at my equipment to fill out the equipment information, haha. I will definitely do that!
I'm excited to get started..........

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Good luck, ducky! Let us know how it goes.

Ducky73

Post by Ducky73 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:02 pm

So I think everything went well for my first night. I only remember waking up once to use the restroom. My wife was amazed that I didn't snore one peep. She has been wearing earplugs for the last year!!
One question about the humidifier. It still has almost the same amount of water as last night, just a MM or so lower. Is this normal? I felt fine this morning, no dry mouth like normal.

icipher

Post by icipher » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Ducky73 wrote:So I think everything went well for my first night. I only remember waking up once to use the restroom. My wife was amazed that I didn't snore one peep. She has been wearing earplugs for the last year!!
One question about the humidifier. It still has almost the same amount of water as last night, just a MM or so lower. Is this normal? I felt fine this morning, no dry mouth like normal.
Is your climate dry or more humid? I find that during our cold winters I use more water than in the wetter parts of year.

It will also depend on what level your humidifier is set to.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Water consumption will depend on several possible factors.
Heated hose or not...machine with humidity sensors or not....ambient humidity in the bedroom...pressures used...leaks if any...humidifier setting.
Not unusual to have minimal water used though...if your nose is happy then nothing to worry about and trust me...if you needed more water used your nose wouldn't be shy about telling you it wanted more water.

Example...my nose like lots of moisture so I have my humidifier setting maxed out and normally use a lot of water but if it is raining outside and my windows are open so that the humidity in the house is pretty much like it is outside (machine is pretty much next to the window I might not see a drop in my water consumption at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.