Do You Eat Gluten-Free?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: Gluten-Free Nonsense

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:03 am

CowFish wrote: One of my dearest friends has celiac disease and gluten will make her extremely ill. She is the only one I know in this condition.

It is an insult to her that so many others act like gluten bothers them!
Bull Shit!
Both my sister and I have issues with gluten, and no we are not about to be in pain for 6 weeks in order to get a definitive diagnosis. I do not consider it an insult that other chose to avoid gluten, anymore then an alcoholic would be insulted if you chose not to drink alcohol.

Oh an by the way celiacs can present in many ways, not just as a form of IBS. It can also present as brain fog, or skin rash only and cause things like lactose intolerance. So people with no distinct symptoms can feel better by being GF and never know they have Celiacs.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:52 am

I just wasted my time reading this entire thread. It seems like it is not about gluten at all. Instead, it is about some people with time on their hands who like to get "one up" on each other.

It seems the OP may be sitting back enjoying what he dropped here because after his initial posting he entirely "faded away".

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:12 am

For the official facts, check professional medical sites, or support groups.
This topic is OT, and as such may include opinions, not all of which are useful.
To compound the problem, self-diagnosis is cheaper and less invasive than the medically sanctioned methods;
and is quite often accurate. (Which frosts the pros beyond measure!)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:25 am

Midnight Strangler wrote:I just wasted my time reading this entire thread. It seems like it is not about gluten at all. Instead, it is about some people with time on their hands who like to get "one up" on each other.

It seems the OP may be sitting back enjoying what he dropped here because after his initial posting he entirely "faded away".

"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:41 am

Food fight! Food fight!
Gotta love it. Seems like we're all still in elementary school

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:38 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Food fight! Food fight!
+1
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Food fight! Food fight!
Yes and the bullying of anyone who is slightly different, has an opinion, or is not a member of the "Cool crowd" is just as fierce.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:57 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:...To compound the problem, self-diagnosis is cheaper and less invasive than the medically sanctioned methods;
and is quite often accurate...
I completely disagree with this. Self-diagnosis is often inaccurate. There is a reason diagnostic tests exist. The average person is not particularly good at determining cause and effect, as well as differentiating actual physical syndromes from psychiatric manifestations.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:58 pm

So are you contending that doctors are always right?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Paralel wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:...To compound the problem, self-diagnosis is cheaper and less invasive than the medically sanctioned methods;
I completely disagree with this. Self-diagnosis is often inaccurate. There is a reason diagnostic tests exist. The average person is not particularly good at determining cause and effect, as well as differentiating actual physical syndromes from psychiatric manifestations.
Hmmm when we removed gluten as instructed to try by the doctor, my sisters issues disappeared within one week. To do a proper celiacs diagnoses she would have to get back on gluten for at least 6 weeks. That would be 6 weeks of agony attached to the toilet on one end and a bucket on the other end. We know this from accidental exposures.
For most food allergy diagnosis it is sufficient to see that the removal of the food reduces the reaction and the reintroduction causes a reaction.

Why don't you down some exlax and emetic to make you puke, daily for 6 weeks and come back and talk about it.

Also it can take on average 9 YEARS to be diagnosed with celiacs.

cathyf

Re: Do You Eat Gluten-Free?

Post by cathyf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:26 pm

One surefire sign that you are talking to someone who is MSA (making stuff up) is if they tell you that you should eat sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup because fructose is bad for you.

(Some chemistry: sugar (sucrose) is one glucose molecule and one fructose molecule which link together by losing two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom -- which bind together to form a water molecule. When an animal consumes sucrose, the enzyme sucrase comes in with water and breaks apart all of the glucose-fructose bonds as part of digestion, and then the animal has glucose and fructose in their gut for further digestion. Sucrose is exactly 50% fructose. Corn syrup -- the stuff that you buy in the baking aisle -- is 100% glucose, so it doesn't taste sweet. When they say that HFCS is "high" in fructose, that is only in comparison to regular corn syrup which doesn't have ANY fructose in it at all. HFCS is the result of a complicated chemical process where some percentage of the glucose in the corn syrup is chemically converted to fructose, but it is NOT chemically bound to the glucose -- it doesn't combine to make sucrose -- but the two are merely mixed up in the syrup. HFCS comes with the fructose at 2 levels -- 55% fructose (HFCS55) is used in soft drinks, while the 42% fructose (HFCS42) is used most everywhere else. So sugar has MORE fructose in it than HFCS42! Now HFCS may indeed be bad for you, but if it is the fructose that's the problem then sugar would be just as bad, and eating fruit would be worse. Anyone who thinks that the apple is the unhealthy part of a caramel apple is an idiot. They are obviously focusing on the one word that they didn't understand and just making up a story around it.)

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:45 am

Paralel wrote:
Parelel,

I am surprised at your post because didn't you experience having a serious medical condition be misdiagnosed as psychiatric in nature? Or am I misremembering?

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:09 am

I find it funny that the OP renamed the thread from "Gluten Free Nonsense" and deleted his first post.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:03 am

archangle wrote:I find it funny that the OP renamed the thread from "Gluten Free Nonsense" and deleted his first post.
He probably saw what a mess he started and no longer wanted to be associated with it.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:50 pm

cathyf wrote:One surefire sign that you are talking to someone who is MSA (making stuff up) is if they tell you that you should eat sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup because fructose is bad for you.

(Some chemistry: sugar (sucrose) is one glucose molecule and one fructose molecule which link together by losing two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom -- which bind together to form a water molecule. When an animal consumes sucrose, the enzyme sucrase comes in with water and breaks apart all of the glucose-fructose bonds as part of digestion, and then the animal has glucose and fructose in their gut for further digestion. Sucrose is exactly 50% fructose. Corn syrup -- the stuff that you buy in the baking aisle -- is 100% glucose, so it doesn't taste sweet. When they say that HFCS is "high" in fructose, that is only in comparison to regular corn syrup which doesn't have ANY fructose in it at all. HFCS is the result of a complicated chemical process where some percentage of the glucose in the corn syrup is chemically converted to fructose, but it is NOT chemically bound to the glucose -- it doesn't combine to make sucrose -- but the two are merely mixed up in the syrup. HFCS comes with the fructose at 2 levels -- 55% fructose (HFCS55) is used in soft drinks, while the 42% fructose (HFCS42) is used most everywhere else. So sugar has MORE fructose in it than HFCS42! Now HFCS may indeed be bad for you, but if it is the fructose that's the problem then sugar would be just as bad, and eating fruit would be worse. Anyone who thinks that the apple is the unhealthy part of a caramel apple is an idiot. They are obviously focusing on the one word that they didn't understand and just making up a story around it.)
Cathy, Thanks for explaining that so concisely and in such detail. Not that it will change anybody's mind

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.