OT: Tapatalk users take note!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
idamtnboy

OT: Tapatalk users take note!

Post by idamtnboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Tapatalk has just been updated to version 4.10.1. It's horrible, to say the least. Reviewers on Google Play Store and Tapatalk User forum are decrying the latest changes. If you don't like it join me in sending an email to the only email addresses I find for Tapatalk. If you haven't checked it out yet you need to.

Here is the text of the email I sent. These are the only email addresses I find for Tapatalk.com. Feel free to copy whatever portion of it you wish to use.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: admin@tapatalk.com
android@tapatalk.com

Subject: Please listen to your users

Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet was just updated to version 4.10.1. I hate it.

Where is the "Participated" button? That feature is 90% of the reason I have enjoyed using Tapatalk. It seems to no longer be available. I must tell you I am seriously considering uninstalling Tapatalk altogether unless I can find the apk for the version before 4.10.

Why are you not paying attention to your users' opinions? There are zero, as in none, nada, less than one, 4 and 5 star ratings for version 4.10 on the Google Play Store. There is complaint after complaint on your own Tapatalk Users forum.

Please, please, roll back the changes to a previously more user friendly and usable version.

Thank you,

chunkyfrog

Re: OT: Tapatalk users take note!

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Having never used Tapatalk, I had been considering trying it out.
Not any more!

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:31 pm

I tried it once about a year ago I didn't like it then. Now I have good reason to continue to ignore it.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Use it a lot for a number of forums including here. There are limitations due to the small foot print (can't see signatures for example, can't see polls) but its been okay. Don't use it on a tablet though. Still have version 4.6.2 so far (Tapatalk Pro), have not seen the a new update.

Using Samsung Note 3 but on PC right now.

Hmmm.. seems the "Pro" version was retired though that is what I have loaded at the moment. Will have to check out the new "free" version which replaces it.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:18 am

I can see many complaint reviews for 4.10.1, but can't find that version. What i got when I downloaded it was 4.9.5. Perhaps they yanked the newer version already or you are seeing a different version since you are using a tablet.

The new version (for me), has a lot of crap in it I won't use but I found out how to get close to what I had with the pro version before I loaded this one. BTW, I have both loaded right now on my phone.

BTW I've never used the participated button before.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
Kevin... alias Krelvin

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:43 am

Also tried it some time ago, and gave it up after playing with it for a while. I don't remember all the problems that it had, but I do remember how hard it was to get to the forums that I wanted to use it on initially. I sent them a little note telling them that they were missing a whole bunch of stuff that would have made it more usable, and they apologized and said that they were working on it. I didn't stay around to suffer through their development period...sounds like I haven't missed much since.

7michael3

Post by 7michael3 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:49 am

Tried it yesterday for the first time and it was awfully laid out. I couldn't even figure out how to post on their or start a new thread. Aweful!
“I’m not a very good sleeper. But you know what? I’m willing to put in a few extra hours every day to get better. That’s just the kind of hard worker I am.” -Jarod Kintz

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:48 am

I think I got their attention, at least to some degree. The message I posted on the Tapatalk users forum raising this issue, and the poll I had in the thread, were deleted as was my user account! That is a first for me, being booted off a forum. Somebody inside Tapatalk had to have gotten the message that many, many, users are truly unhappy. Don't have any idea if it'll prompt any changes, but at least someone now knows.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:35 am

Got an email today from Tapatalk, speak of the devil:

Dear Tapatalk Forum Community,

Today we discovered that someone had used an exploit in a third party plugin on the Tapatalk support forums, leading to the disclosure of email addresses and encrypted passwords, and possibly passwords in cleartext if you attempted to login since December 9th.

Due to this incident, please log into http://www.tapatalk.com/v2 and change your password.

Okay, well, so it goes. Pays to heed these warnings, though. I should mention that this might be a phishing scam, so if you want to be sure, go to where you normally go for your tapatalk account and change your password there.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:13 am

RogerSC wrote:Got an email today from Tapatalk, speak of the devil:

Dear Tapatalk Forum Community,

Today we discovered that someone had used an exploit in a third party plugin on the Tapatalk support forums, leading to the disclosure of email addresses and encrypted passwords, and possibly passwords in cleartext if you attempted to login since December 9th.

Due to this incident, please log into http://www.tapatalk.com/v2 and change your password.

Okay, well, so it goes. Pays to heed these warnings, though. I should mention that this might be a phishing scam, so if you want to be sure, go to where you normally go for your tapatalk account and change your password there.
Got the same. Created new password, no big deal. I don't share passwords between forums and other websites anyway, each has their own secure password.
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:19 am

RogerSC wrote:Also tried it some time ago, and gave it up after playing with it for a while. I don't remember all the problems that it had, but I do remember how hard it was to get to the forums that I wanted to use it on initially. I sent them a little note telling them that they were missing a whole bunch of stuff that would have made it more usable, and they apologized and said that they were working on it. I didn't stay around to suffer through their development period...sounds like I haven't missed much since.
many times the issues are with the forum, not the software itself. The forum software needs to be updated to have the current versions and some forums don't enable all of the functions.

It doesn't help that they have made some radical changes to the interface over time, but I can understand where most of them were heading. There was a big shift a couple years ago which shifted info about the forums you used it on just in the device to being managed via an online account. If you use a lot of devices, this is actually handy. If not, it may seem like overkill.

The difference between the version I was using up to the other day to the new version is not that big and after I played with it a bit, I am back to being able to easily use it with the 12 or so forums that I use it for. I don't use it often for most, but do use it for here and XDA on a regular basis as well as a few forums I manage.
Kevin... alias Krelvin

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Some people need this, or something similar, due to physical limitations.
For this reason, I hope those folks get their act together, although I hope to never need it myself.
{{{{{knock on wood}}}}}

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:26 am

Apparently it was the security breach, not the negative tone, that got my ID and posting deleted. I guess they deleted everything from the past few days. I'm back on the TT forum.

I found a solution to the issue of the botched up user interface. I deleted version 4.10.1, found and downloaded the apk for version 4.9.5, and installed it. The best part is that Play Store seems to not know I now have 4.9.5 installed so it won't automatically update.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:51 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Some people need this, or something similar, due to physical limitations.
For this reason, I hope those folks get their act together, although I hope to never need it myself.
{{{{{knock on wood}}}}} :(
These days, the only mobile device that I read forums on is my iPad. I just use the full forum format for that, enough real estate on the iPad that I don't need a limited mobile reader.

Glad to hear that tapatalk is better now, though. Back when I tried to use it, there was no excuse for how bad it was. The forums should have been fine on it, but the user interface for navigating in the forums that it was meant to be used for reading was just terrible. That was one of the original reasons that I got an iPad about 3 years ago. Really enjoyed having the iPad in Europe this summer, too. Maps and guidebooks were great on it.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:17 am

Roger, like you, I refuse to put those silly apps on my ipad or on my Android phone.
I want it all, dammit!