CPAP Class Action for causing eye/sinus infections

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
InfectionsCPAP

CPAP Class Action for causing eye/sinus infections

Post by InfectionsCPAP » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:27 pm

I have been on CPAP for over 10 years. Over the years I have had numerous sinus and eye infections caused by using CPAP machines and masks. I wash my hose and mask every day yet I still get infections from the machine and mask on a regular basis. The Resmed S9 is the latest machine I have and it still does not provide any method of sterilization of the equipment or masks from the manufacturer other than old fashion wash & rinse. My sister who also uses the S9 has also gotten serious eye infections and Pink eye from using CPAP. The manufacturer is aware of the problem but insists washing your mask and hose daily will prevent these problems. I also replace my CPAP mask with a new one frequently and at great expense. Insurance and Medicare will tell you that you can only have one new CPAP mask every 3 months which is a bunch of bull. "Reasonable and Medically neccessary" is usually the deciding factor on how often to replace your durable medical equipment (cpap mask) so don't let a provider tell you otherwise. I have also been made aware that there is a sterilization machine for CPAP machine and masks on the market now called SoClean2 around $300.00. Ironically Insurance and Medicare will deny any claim for this device because it is considered a "convenience or cleaning item".

Since change only seems to occur after the threat of a lawsuit, I wanted to see if any other CPAP users are experiencing the same problems? Just the mention of the potential lawsuit and a placing a bullseye on a target sometimes gets results.

palerider

Re: CPAP Class Action for causing eye/sinus infections

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 pm

seems to me that cpap isn't the problem, you and your sister are the problem.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:01 pm

You might find this page interesting:

http://doctorstevenpark.com/cpap-and-sinus-infections

Regarding lawsuits, I seriously doubt you will be successful because if pap therapy manufacturers are anything like drug companies, they have probably taken every step to protect themselves. Also, establishing causation and correlation to the point where you were severely harmed would be quite difficult in my opinion.

If you want to get in touch with people who have suffered similar fates, you might want to register for this forum to make it easier for people to contact you.

Finally, you might want to look for the commentator who mentioned that using hydrogen peroxide in the humidifier got rid of his sinus infections. You might want to make sure it won't cause damage before using.

Best of luck.

49er

InfectionsCPAP wrote:I have been on CPAP for over 10 years. Over the years I have had numerous sinus and eye infections caused by using CPAP machines and masks. I wash my hose and mask every day yet I still get infections from the machine and mask on a regular basis. The Resmed S9 is the latest machine I have and it still does not provide any method of sterilization of the equipment or masks from the manufacturer other than old fashion wash & rinse. My sister who also uses the S9 has also gotten serious eye infections and Pink eye from using CPAP. The manufacturer is aware of the problem but insists washing your mask and hose daily will prevent these problems. I also replace my CPAP mask with a new one frequently and at great expense. Insurance and Medicare will tell you that you can only have one new CPAP mask every 3 months which is a bunch of bull. "Reasonable and Medically neccessary" is usually the deciding factor on how often to replace your durable medical equipment (cpap mask) so don't let a provider tell you otherwise. I have also been made aware that there is a sterilization machine for CPAP machine and masks on the market now called SoClean2 around $300.00. Ironically Insurance and Medicare will deny any claim for this device because it is considered a "convenience or cleaning item".

Since change only seems to occur after the threat of a lawsuit, I wanted to see if any other CPAP users are experiencing the same problems? Just the mention of the potential lawsuit and a placing a bullseye on a target sometimes gets results.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:11 pm

good luck with the lawsuit... You apparently have not talked to a lawyer yet.

Note that the use of SoClean2 has been found to cause contamination of the tank. You might want to look into that.

8yr XPap user. Never had any eye or sinus infections problem using the mfg's recommended cleaning procedures.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Considering that the vast majority of people do not have these problems, you will have a hard time proving that it was the cpap machine or supplies that caused the problem. More likely that you and your sister are more sensitive than the normal person. Or perhaps washing TOO much. Maybe you are sensitive to the cleaners that you are using.

I used my first hose for over 2 years and only washed it once. I am still using the same water chamber in the humidifier. I ma using the same two masks that i got the first day and one the next year. I use my mask cushions for 5-7 months each, and I usually use a wipe each day and wash it 3-4 times a month. I have allergies and asthma, yet I have never had a sinus infection since using the machine. Occasionally, a puffy eye, but that clears within an hour. No real eye issues.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:31 pm

InfectionsCPAP wrote:I have been on CPAP for over 10 years. Over the years I have had numerous sinus and eye infections caused by using CPAP machines and masks. I wash my hose and mask every day yet I still get infections from the machine and mask on a regular basis. The Resmed S9 is the latest machine I have and it still does not provide any method of sterilization of the equipment or masks from the manufacturer other than old fashion wash & rinse. My sister who also uses the S9 has also gotten serious eye infections and Pink eye from using CPAP. The manufacturer is aware of the problem but insists washing your mask and hose daily will prevent these problems. I also replace my CPAP mask with a new one frequently and at great expense. Insurance and Medicare will tell you that you can only have one new CPAP mask every 3 months which is a bunch of bull. "Reasonable and Medically neccessary" is usually the deciding factor on how often to replace your durable medical equipment (cpap mask) so don't let a provider tell you otherwise. I have also been made aware that there is a sterilization machine for CPAP machine and masks on the market now called SoClean2 around $300.00. Ironically Insurance and Medicare will deny any claim for this device because it is considered a "convenience or cleaning item".

You sound like a complete idiot to me.
Your biggest problem is that there's NO WAY you could prove that YOU "infected" YOURSELF using the machine.....and that it didn't happen during the other hours you weren't wearing it.

Have you even looked up things like "eye infections" and "pink eye" to see what causes them?

I wish I had a dollar for every numbskull who came on the forum to claim that their CPAP machine caused some problem they were having.
I believe I'll add you to that list of morons.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Do you wear eye makeup? Lotion, etc? Have scientists examined your Cpap masks, etc. and deemed them to be infectious?

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Maybe you have aproblem with one of these?

Pinkeye has a number of different causes, including:

Viruses
Bacteria (such as gonorrhea or chlamydia)
Irritants such as shampoos, dirt, smoke, and pool chlorine
Allergies, like dust, pollen, or a special type of allergy that affects some contact lens wearers

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:05 pm

probably another drive by turding to rile the critters.

myself, I only wipe off the mask to keep it from being greasy, and change filters when they look dirty... washing the hose... nope, not since 2009 when I decided "why the hell am I doing this?"

mind you, i've only been at this since 2009, so I'm no old hand at it, but I've gotten *less* sinus infections since being on cpap.

ymmv, batteries not included, void where prohibited, only one coupon per customer per visit, not valid on any day ending in y, and other generic disclaimers.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Isn't a cause of pinkeye actually feces getting in the eye? I know there's a joke in there, but it seems I heard that's why little kids get it relatively easily.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:46 pm

I have not had any of the problems described since being on CPAP. I would opt out of any class-action of the nature described.

Plus, I think SoClean is a waste of money.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:52 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:Isn't a cause of pinkeye actually feces getting in the eye? I know there's a joke in there, but it seems I heard that's why little kids get it relatively easily.
"pinkeye" is just a generic term for any number of eye infections

I've never heard anything about a poopyeye connection, but then, I've never spent too much time studying the varietys of conjuntivitis.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:58 pm

I've also been on CPAP/APAP for ten years, several different machines, several different masks, both nasal and full face.....never once have I ever had any hint of infection of any kind and I am pretty lax when it comes to cleaning or replacing my equipment. I have been using my current mask and cushion for a year and maybe washed the mask four times and hose maybe twice over the last year. I never dump unused water from my humidifier, I always leave it in the machine and just add to it before going to sleep.....I only clean the humidifier tub about once every two months, and because I use "real distilled water" I have never seen anything in the humidifier tub, no scale, no nothing....still confounds me that people say they use distilled water but somehow still get scale in the chamber -- I'd say to them your distilled water is not properly distilled....maybe do a test on that so called distilled water!

If anything I have fewer colds and far less sinus issues being on CPAP than before being on CPAP, and my dentist can't believe how clean my teeth and gums are as a direct result of my CPAP keeping me from mouth breathing and keeping me well humidified as I breath at night.

In all I am far healthier in many respects due to my CPAP use than I was before CPAP!!

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

angeltink

Post by angeltink » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:54 pm

There is no way your mask or machine could cause pink eye unless you shared the mask with someone who had pink eye and you didn't disinfect it afterward which would be the users fault.

I am someone who suffers from allergies and in the past had the most awful continuous sinus infections. I just started Cpap therapy almost 3 months ago and the biggest difference for me and the thing I noticed most after just the first night is that my sinus drainage was no longer a problem every morning. My sinuses feel better than they ever have in my life. I might not be feeling a huge difference in energy or sleepiness but I do feel a huge difference in my sinuses and have not had an infection in the three months I have used my machine.

I wanted to add that I disinfect my hose, mask, and water tank every 3 weeks or so using a quarter vinegar to 3 quarters water. I also change use both the black sponge filter with a white fine filter. I change my white filter every 2 weeks to a month when it looks dirty and rinse out my black sponge weekly. I also make sure to use the wipe I use on my mask daily to clean any dust from the area anywhere near my machine to prevent it from getting sucked in with the room air. HTH

Good luck to you and I hope you figure out what is causing your sister and your low immune system that you would be prone to so many infections.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:Isn't a cause of pinkeye actually feces getting in the eye? I know there's a joke in there, but it seems I heard that's why little kids get it relatively easily.
That sounds like what my father used to say, "Pissing in the road will give you a sty in the eye."
Even he was kidding.
It is more likely the infections are caused by one's lifestyle, cleaning habits, or lack thereof.
The only exception might be compromised immunity.
In either case, completely unrelated to cpap use. Sorry, no payday for you and your lawyer.