Why do I take off the mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
booboo1001

Why do I take off the mask?

Post by booboo1001 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 pm

I use a ResMed AirFit P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear. However, when I wake up during the night or the next morning I have removed it at some point during my sleep. Why do I do this and what can I do so I stop? Thanks!

palerider

Re: Why do I take off the mask?

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:07 pm

booboo1001 wrote:I use a ResMed AirFit P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear. However, when I wake up during the night or the next morning I have removed it at some point during my sleep. Why do I do this and what can I do so I stop? Thanks!
I've had it slip off my head.

however if you feel that you're taking it off... I've heard of people using surgical tape on the side straps so it pulls on your face if you try to take it off in your sleep.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Usually, we take the mask off due to a comfort issue. It could be that we are just not used to it yet. We could feel that we are starving for air (can't get enough) or we are getting too much (can't exhale). In my case, it is usually due to leaks or drooling. Sometimes, my face gets sweaty, which will cause the mask to slide around and eventually leak. Or I will drool, and that will cause a leak. I can handle changes in air pressure, but leaks drive me crazy.

Sometimes, I remember taking the mask off. I will often think I will take it off, readjust it, and fall asleep before completing the task. Other times, I have no memory of it at all.

Putting tape on your mask and skin will help to wake you up and see what is going on. But in the long term, you will need to solve the various problems that are causing you to want to take it off.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Or you could wear mittens, like Mike Birbiglia.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:28 am

booboo1001 wrote:I use a ResMed AirFit P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear. However, when I wake up during the night or the next morning I have removed it at some point during my sleep. Why do I do this and what can I do so I stop? Thanks!
Taking the mask off is very common when starting therapy and you have received some good suggestions for keeping it on.

However, I do agree with zoocrew about investigating the reasons why you are taking it off. In my case, when I have done it, it has been due to extreme discomfort such as severe nasal congestion.

Best of luck to you.

49er

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:08 pm

It can also be that you are not getting enuff air, that would be a reason to remove any mask. With nasal pillows you will have to sort out whether the pillows are too small and not allowing enuff air or if the flow/pressure is not sufficient.

Are you getting large leaks?

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:17 pm

I have had the mask slip up to the point of almost coming off. Depends on how restless I am that night. Could this be what you are experiencing?

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:35 pm

You might be surprised how larger P10 pillows can work better. I know I was.