Bi-Flex vs. C-Flex - Complex Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shortcake

Bi-Flex vs. C-Flex - Complex Apnea

Post by shortcake » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:36 am

Long story short - Current on BiPap ASV. Several months ago, my doc suggested going back to using straight CPAP with C-Flex (based on sleep study results which titrated using both CPAP and ASV). Instead of buying a new CPAP w/ C-Flex, I programmed my BiPap ASV to straight CPAP pressures - and tried this for several weeks using the Bi-Flex (and other times w/ no Flex). Anyway, the centrals returned, so I went back to using ASV mode. (Yes, I tried other CPAP pressures, no change.)

I know the difference between C-Flex and Bi-Flex. What I'm wondering is if using one versus the other can affect therapy that much, or should they have approximately the same impact? I'm tempted to rent a CPAP to see if the C-Flex itself really made a difference or not, but can't imagine it would dramatically change my breathing/sleep. Any thoughts on if C-Flex may actually help, or if I should consider my "CPAP w/ Bi-Flex" trial a good enough indicator?

Pugsy

Re: Bi-Flex vs. C-Flex - Complex Apnea

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:21 pm

There's not really any difference between CFlex and BiFlex except the name. Both exhale relief terms.
CFlex is what it's called on a CPAP machine
AFlex is what it's called on an APAP machine
BiFlex is what it is called on a BiPap machine.

http://biflex.respironics.com/
and in the upper right are links to the other Flexes

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

stage0

Post by stage0 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Your assessment that the CPAP with C-flex will not make much difference in your treatment is correct.

The ASV part of your machine is supposed to eliminate the centrals. Usually, when I titrate a patient and I see centrals happen in either CPAP or Bi-PAP- I back the pressure off abit.

I do not know your health so I will also mention that if a person has COPD and hypoxic drive reversal .... this will also cause centrals.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Pugsy wrote:There's not really any difference between CFlex and BiFlex except the name. Both exhale relief terms.
they sure are flexible with the names they tack onto their stuff, aren't they?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 pm

palerider wrote: they sure are flexible with the names they tack onto their stuff, aren't they?
They are indeed. Wonder if the same dufus who came up with Remstar that gets used on everything and means nothing came up with the Flex nomenclature? That person has to be getting awfully old by now I would think unless it was the kid in the mail room who is now VP in charge of feature names.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Pugsy wrote:
palerider wrote: they sure are flexible with the names they tack onto their stuff, aren't they?
They are indeed. Wonder if the same dufus who came up with Remstar that gets used on everything and means nothing came up with the Flex nomenclature? That person has to be getting awfully old by now I would think unless it was the kid in the mail room who is now VP in charge of feature names.
apparently, they're getting paid by the word and think that

Philips Respironics System One 60 Series REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex
sounds way more impressive than
Resmed S9 Autoset

LOOK! OURS HAS MORE BIG WORDS IN IT!! IT ARE BEDDER!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

4betterO2

Post by 4betterO2 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:13 pm

shortcake wrote: Instead of buying a new CPAP w/ C-Flex, I programmed my BiPap ASV to straight CPAP pressures -
You indicate that you made the IPAP and EPAP pressures the same (i.e., "straight CPAP pressures"), but you do not mention what you did with the specific ASV component of the RX, the backup rate?
PR Dreamstation BiPap ASV, WISP nasal mask with magnets

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:There's not really any difference between CFlex and BiFlex except the name. Both exhale relief terms.

http://biflex.respironics.com/
and in the upper right are links to the other Flexes
I think C-Flex is different from C-Flex+. C-Flex+, A-Flex, and Bi-Flex look pretty much the same.

C-Flex:

C-Flex+

I don't have the ASV manual, so I don't know if it offers C-Flex, C-Flex+, or a choice in CPAP mode.

If it only offers C-Flex in CPAP mode, you might be able to set the parameters in ASV mode to be close to CPAP mode. As I said, I don't have the ASV manual, but maybe you can set the pressure range to be lower, or even zero.

That also might be an interesting intermediate step, if the ASV lets you. Turn down the "strength" of the ASV function to get it closer and closer to CPAP and see what happens.

Just be extra sure to document your settings before you change anything. I know the ASV machines have a LOT of settings, and there's often one that's the "magic" setting that makes it right for you.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:13 am

archangle wrote: I think C-Flex is different from C-Flex+. C-Flex+, A-Flex, and Bi-Flex look pretty much the same.
CFlex was the very first "Flex" exhale relief. I don't think any of the new PR System One CPAP machines even use it anymore. I think it's all CFlex +....the Plus was supposed to be an improvement and that's why the rounding is a little different...they made CFlex smoother and then called it something different (by adding the + to things) depending on which mode of operation is used.

I have the manual for the 960...I don't see a setting to change the mode of operation to cpap mode. It can of course be done by manipulating the settings...it still won't offer cpap mode so no official CFlex + and instead just offers BiFlex but I don't see there being any real difference other than what it's called.