Sleepyhead vs. Encore Basic?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jonquiljo

Sleepyhead vs. Encore Basic?

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Can anyone help me? Which one of these programs is better - in your opinion? Also, which one will work (and install easily) on a PC Windows 8.1? Finally, when can I get these? Thanks much!

Jon

palerider

Re: Sleepyhead vs. Encore Basic?

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:39 pm

sleepyhead is my favorite, I think it presents it's data in a much easier, compact format, and I believe it's easier to use.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:50 pm

I prefer Sleepyhead, but use both.
I think I have heard about some issues wit Windows 8.1, but I have refused to use it even though I have a copy.

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks. Anyone know where I can get the latest version? Is it installable in Windows 8.1?

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Send a PM to Pugsy. She can help you.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 pm

bwexler wrote:I prefer Sleepyhead, but use both.
I think I have heard about some issues wit Windows 8.1, but I have refused to use it even though I have a copy.
The biggest problem with WIndows 8.1 for CPAP is that when you put the SD card in your PC, it may write some data to the card. This is done by Windows 8, itself, not SleepyHead. If you have an S9 machine, the machine will refuse to use the SD card after that, and will insist on reformatting the card.

I'm pretty sure SleepyHead will install on Win 8 or 8.1 machines. I'm not sure about Encore Basic.

Encore Basic is the official manufacturer's supported machine. SleepyHead is still in beta test, but works really well. In my opinion, it's SleepyHead, no contest vs. Encore, unless you hit one of the SleepyHead bugs, or have to get "official" results for insurance or other reasons.

SleepHead links can be found in my signature line, but it's at sleepfiles.com/SH

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks, I downloaded a copy of Sleepyhead. I think I'll put it on one of my Windows 7 laptops (actually my only windows 7 laptop). I'm not thrilled with the Windows 8.1 machines, but it just isn't worth downgrading to Windows 7.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm fairly sure SleepyHead runs fine on Win8.1?? At least does ok on my test Win8.1 Virtual Machine... or am I missing something?

Edit: Doh.. Missed arch's comment about the SD card issue.. :-} Always remember to lock the SDcard no matter the OS to protect compliance data..

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:37 am

jedimark wrote:I'm fairly sure SleepyHead runs fine on Win8.1?? At least does ok on my test Win8.1 Virtual Machine... or am I missing something?

Edit: Doh.. Missed arch's comment about the SD card issue.. :-} Always remember to lock the SDcard no matter the OS to protect compliance data..

Do I need to lock card if using Respironics machine? Thanks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:27 am

Respironics machines don't seem to care if Windows adds a little extra file to the SD card but the ResMed S9 machines sure care.
Preventing that little extra file from being written to the SD card is why we suggest locking the card into read only mode.

EncoreBasic will install and run easily on Windows 8.1. Just send me a private message if you want it. It's the same data as SleepyHead presents but just visually the reports look at little different.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.