Returned masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepless in Ca

Returned masks

Post by Sleepless in Ca » Tue May 20, 2014 8:07 pm

I want to buy a new mask. But while it is appealing to buy one from a vendor that accepts returns, I am so creeped out worrying that I will unknowingly buy one of these returns. What do you think these vendors do with all these returned masks? I would think too expensive to just toss them.

My first mask was given to me by Kaiser. It came in a bag that was generic with no company logo. I wonder if it was a recycled one now. I just have no desire to have a mask used by anyone else even if it is sterilized.

Pugsy

Re: Returned masks

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Cpap.com won't/don't resell returns. Everything you get from them is in new, unopened, sealed packaging provided by mask manufacturer. Now some manufacturers supply the mask in a box without tape...but that's the way the manufacturer supplies the mask.
I don't know what they (cpap.com) does with them...but they don't resell them.
I have never bought a mask from any other online cpap supplier to vouch for anyone other than cpap.com though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Tue May 20, 2014 8:21 pm

The big question is who are you buying from. Buying from my local DME or from CPAP.com, I would not worry at all about that. Buying from some internet operation, idk. I guess the biggest circumstantial evidence I would look for is if they required a copy of your prescription. If so, they probably are playing by the rules.

My DME told me that they do not keep returned masks. They go back to the manufacturer (if within the 30 day window) and the distributor sends them a fresh replacement for their stock.
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:41 pm

I don't know for sure, but I think DME's are supposed to send them back to the company for credit. I do imagine that some unscrupulous DME's sterilize & resell. Our hosts, cpap.com only sell new, sealed masks. If Kaiser gave you a mask that was not packaged, I would question them, since you feel as you do.

Many forum members sell or pass on a mask we have tried & couldn't return for whatever reason. There is even a fairly new thread for people who want to swap masks to try another. When we do that here we clean before we send and probably we all clean them when get a mask from another forum member. Also when forum members do this we know the mask is gently used & we each will take care that cleaning is done (probably on both ends).

I personally don't mind a swapped mask as long as I know it. I would be quite upset to get a used mask that I paid full price for. Most of the major companies are now selling their masks in closed packaging, some in sealed bags, some in boxes with seals. You are the purchaser whether you pay cash or use your insurance to pay & certainly deserve a new sealed mask.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 pm

I don't think re-using a mask that someone else has used is any worse than kissing strangers. Growing up in a "European" style family we regularly greeted everyone with kisses and hugs.

On the other hand sharing underwear with brothers and sisters is where I draw the line. That would be gross. Sorry, not so fond memories of a particular camping trip where I had extra underwear and sister ran out...

As everyone else has mentioned I think you need to know your supplier. Ask questions and check the package out when you get it to make sure.

Sleepless in Ca

Post by Sleepless in Ca » Wed May 21, 2014 12:22 pm

So many diseases are transferred through breathing in some else's germs, like TB. Just washing a mask is not going to kill them. You need to sterilize the mask. I wish there was some way to know for sure.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Do you not breathe in others' bacteria etc. when you're on the street, in a store, anywhere else? Do you think only actual contact gives you problems? I personally wouldn't want to use a 'used' mask, sterilized or not, but that's an aesthetic choice, not a 'medical' one. And most people, European or otherwise don't kiss on the mouth, but elsewhere.

flyingwithoutwings

Post by flyingwithoutwings » Wed May 21, 2014 1:24 pm

My DME told me I didn't have to return the mask. He said he just fills out paperwork and they send him a new one. I had only used it 3 nights, so I traded with another forum member who had a new mask I wanted.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails!

library lady

Post by library lady » Wed May 21, 2014 2:57 pm

My DME is part of Mayo Clinic Rochester. They keep some sterilized used headgear and masks on hand for trial, and also make them available for out-of-town patients who discover they left the mask behind, etc. They only do it once for each mask, after that the masks are discarded. New masks can also be tried out on the 30-days allowed by manufacturers.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.