So much to learn!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
blades

So much to learn!

Post by blades » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi all.

Brand new to the OSA/CPAP world. I was googling around trying to figure out the easiest and best way to clean my CPAP machine and came upon this forum. I had no idea how much there is to this whole lifestyle. I started with my CPAP about two weeks ago, and I think it's going well. I did a split night study in the beginning of the month and had an AHI of 28.8. My doctor prescribed a pressure of 11. I started out with a Mirage FX nasal mask, but after 3 days had to stop using it because of the red marks it was leaving on my nose. I have been using an Airfit P10 since then and seem to be doing much better, especially once I discovered lanolin. It is super comfortable and doesn't seem to move around too much, even as I roll around in my sleep.

So questions: Are there wipes that are acceptable for every day cleaning of my nasal pillow? I am a busy mom with a 2.5 year old toddler, so if there is something quicker than actually washing with soap and water, that would be ideal. My DME recommended cleaning my tubing weekly using Ivory liquid, but didn't really specify HOW to go about cleaning it. So looking for tips there. And is there cleanser that is specifically made for cleaning CPAP tubing? I have asthma and allergies, so I want to make sure I am not exacerbating that at all.

My machine does track data--it has a transmitter that sends it to the DME. I had no idea that I could somehow access that data on my own. Can anyone walk me through figuring out how go about doing that, and then I am sure I will need assistance in interpreting it. Like I said, I had no idea how involved this all could be. I just figured I would put my mask on at bedtime and call things good. So I'm glad I have found you! I would love help in optimizing my therapy. Like I said, I have a busy little guy to run after, so I need all the energy I can get!

Thanks in advance for any help!

kaiasgram

Re: So much to learn!

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Welcome. First we need to know the exact make and model of your machine.

blades

Post by blades » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks, I just updated my profile.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Is there an SD card in the machine now? If so, you can download SleepyHead software to look at the data. Check out Pugsy's tips on getting started with the software. See her post at the top of the page.

If there's no SD card in the machine you can get one at Officemax, Best Buy, and any number of other places. Just a generic SD card will work.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:56 pm

There are many discussions about cleaning, and a whole spectrum of approaches from very minimal to very fastidious! Search for "cleaning" in the search box and check it out. See what you feel comfortable with.

blades

Post by blades » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:12 pm

I do have an SD card in the machine. And a wireless transmitter that is set to transmit data to the DME. Am I able to use that to transmit to my own computer, or do I have to manually insert the SD card into my computer daily?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:19 pm

blades wrote:I do have an SD card in the machine. And a wireless transmitter that is set to transmit data to the DME. Am I able to use that to transmit to my own computer, or do I have to manually insert the SD card into my computer daily?
You insert the SD card in your computer so SleepyHead can grab the data. If you use a Mac it's a good idea to slide the write-protect tab over before you put it into the computer.

NameGoesHere

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:13 am

kaiasgram wrote: If you use a Mac it's a good idea to slide the write-protect tab over before you put it into the computer.
I keep seeing people say this but on my Retina MacBook Pro running Mavericks I have never write protected and it has never been a problem. What have other people been running into?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:32 am

I think it's mainly a precaution because Macs write invisible files to the card. I don't think too many folks have actually run into problems with this. At one point I thought it might have been the reason that Kaiser's computer could not read my SD card when I brought it to an appointment, but that turned out not to be the issue.