Nose bleed this morning. Should I change pressure or temp?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jak3099

Nose bleed this morning. Should I change pressure or temp?

Post by Jak3099 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 pm

This is the 2nd time this has happened. First was a few weeks ago. As soon as I got up and took my mask off, I felt blood coming out of my right nostril! Here's some info for context:
- Had septum realignment surgery last year
- Feels like septum reverted back (constricted right nostril)
- Climateline tubing set to auto at 74 degF
- I use the Bro-Gho hose hanger
- I toss and turn a lot

I feel like hanging the hose squishes my nose up (like in the old phantom of the opera movie) and maybe that's related to the nose bleeds, or maybe the climateline temp is too high/low?? Actually my nose just started bleeding right now as I type!

Last night I did not sleep well. I had the night sweats again. I attached a pic of my sleepyhead data and would greatly appreciate any suggestions/feedback!

Pugsy

Re: Nose bleed this morning. Should I change pressure or temp?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:39 pm

ClimateLine set to Automatic means it should be delivering 80% humidity no matter what the temperature is set at.
So increasing the temperature shouldn't affect the amount of humidity that gets delivered if that is what you were thinking but it might be more comfortable in general and warmer might affect the blood vessels and tissues so that maybe not so likely to burst...worth a try if it is comfortable for you.
You know the nose bleed could have just been a coincidence since apparently it doesn't happen every morning.

Your last night's report doesn't look real exciting? Nothing that I can see that might explain night sweats or poor sleep because of something on the reports.

Your pressures seem to range from 6 to maybe a tiny bit over 9 which isn't much of a range.
Now some people find that any ranging in pressures is disruptive to sleep but they will most usually just say they never sleep well...not mention a problem from a single night. It wouldn't explain night sweats anyway.

Now if you routinely don't sleep well...maybe a change to a smaller range or to cpap mode might be indicated.

Finally....sometimes we just have crap nights and there's no logical reason for them. A few nights ago I had one...AHI was 5.65 I think...but I thought I slept just fine....and then night before last slept fitfully and full expected to see ugly report and AHI was 0.48...go figure.

I don't see anything on the report that screams out "fix me" though. It's a pretty boring report from what I can see. Leaks are well within acceptable limits, snores essentially non existent and eve flow limitation graph is boring.

The period of time around 6 AM with the leaks..maybe you were more restless because of the sweats and whatever caused them but I doubt that the leaks caused the sweats.
If you were female I would be asking age.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jak3099

Post by Jak3099 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks for the insight Pugsy

It looks like my 90% pressure is usually >/= to 7. Do you think it would be worth changing the minimum to that? I know at a pressure of 10 I swallow too much air.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 pm

On paper looking at this report there doesn't seem to be any need to increase the minimum to 7 and for sure don't need more max as it goes no where near that now.
I wouldn't change anything unless I was having some problem of some sort that you think might need a little more pressure.
Some people say that they feel better and sleep better if they use a little more pressure past where their reports look good.
So if you think that maybe the pressure changes themselves, even though they don't vary by much, are disturbing your sleep quality then changing the minimum to 7 might help with that aspect. I don't see it hurting anything unless it triggers the aerophagia..then of course back down.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 am

I agree with Pugsy that there's nothing in this report to get excited about. I'd not changer the pressure range if I were you.

As for the nosebleeds. It could be a coincidence or it could be the nose is not too happy with the temp or the humidity level or both.

The leaking between 6:00 and 6:40ish is still well below the RedLine of 24 L/min that defines a Large Leak for a Resmed machine, so your therapy and data are not likely to be compromised by them. But it could be that your nose was unhappy with the fact that the machine was blowing more air through your nasal pillows during that time in order to maintain the desired pressure. If you see leaks like this only now and then and you don't have nose bleeds on a regular basis, then this kind of leak can safely be ignored. But if you are often seeing this kind of leaking AND it seems to be clearly associated with significant nose bleeds, then something probably needs to be done.

What would I recommend if you're dealing with nose bleeds a lot? I think I'd start by changing from the Auto setting for ClimateControl where all you do is pick the air temp to the manual settings for ClimateControl where you can independently control the temp and humidity levels. It's possible that 80% relative humidity is not enough to keep your nose happy. And if that's the case, changing the temp on the hose while using the Auto settings for ClimateControl won't help anything since it won't increase the relative humidity.