Any ideas to get used to FFM? (Quattro Air)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: Any ideas to get used to FFM? (Quattro Air)

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:42 pm

reader2580 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
reader2580 wrote:I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to change the pressures on my machine, or what would be a better number. I think for now I'm going to go back to the Sleepweaver Elan as I can't afford to waste an hour or two in bed trying to get to sleep with the Quattro Air. The RT did offer to set up a machine to test the masks with, but I didn't think a minute or two sitting in a chair with a machine was going to help determine if the mask was the right one.
Now you do. According to what you posted, a minimum pressure of about 10 cm. would be a place to start.
Do any of the 11 steps you provided allow me to change the prescribed minimum pressure? Do I need the Encore software to do that?
2. Turn the control wheel until the portion of the screen marked "Setup" is highlighted. Push the wheel to bring up the
Setup menu.

Setup.....then Change device (pressure) settings.

Den

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Wulfman... wrote: 2. Turn the control wheel until the portion of the screen marked "Setup" is highlighted. Push the wheel to bring up the
Setup menu.

I don't see that option under setup. I can only assume it is locked out by the DME?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:05 pm

reader2580 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote: 2. Turn the control wheel until the portion of the screen marked "Setup" is highlighted. Push the wheel to bring up the
Setup menu.

I don't see that option under setup. I can only assume it is locked out by the DME?
They can't lock you out. They use the same method of changing settings.

Accessing the Provider Mode Screens
Accessing provider mode unlocks settings that cannot be modified by the user. To access provider mode:
1. Supply power to the device. First, plug the socket end of the AC power cord into the power supply. Then plug the pronged end of the AC power cord into an electrical outlet that is not controlled by a wall switch. Finally, plug the power supply cord’s connector into the power inlet on the back of the device.
2. Once the device is powered, the Home screen appears, shown below. Turn the control wheel to toggle between the four options and highlight “Setup”.
TherapyInfoFlexSetup
Home Screen
Note: “Flex” shown above will display as the current Flex mode.
3. Once “Setup” is highlighted, press and hold both the control wheel and the Ramp button on the device for at least 5 seconds.
4. You will hear a quick double beep and the Provider mode screen will appear, shown below. You are now in provider mode.

Den

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:05 pm

reader2580 wrote:I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to change the pressures on my machine, or what would be a better number..
To quote one of our members SleepingUgly, "Never put your health entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do". To be successful with this therapy you have to become educated in this new way of living. It's an ongoing process but knowledge is power and we've all been there. If your 90% pressure needs to be at least 10cms to prevent apneas and your pressure is sitting at 5cms, your machine can't increase pressure quickly enough to do it's job, so you'd need a pressure close enough to your 90% pressure. If you're using Auto you might want to try a setting of 8-12 but Den is more knowledgeable than I am. You should d/l software like SleepyHead to track your data. I know this is a lot to digest but we're here to help. If you don't feel secure enough right now, I'd suggest you contact your Dr or DME. Good luck and keep us posted.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:22 pm

My original sleep doctor put me on an APAP because he said it would figure out the best pressure for me rather than him prescribing a pressure on a CPAP. My original doctor has left the practice and now I have a new doctor that I saw two weeks ago. I'm surprised the new doctor didn't look at the data from the machine and raise the minimum pressure to reduce my AHI instead of prescribing a FFM. I'm going to increase the minimum pressure tonight and use my nasal mask and see if things are any better after a night or two.

I did download Sleepyhead the other night and that is where I got the pressure and AHI readings from.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:29 pm

reader2580 wrote:My original sleep doctor put me on an APAP because he said it would figure out the best pressure for me rather than him prescribing a pressure on a CPAP. My original doctor has left the practice and now I have a new doctor that I saw two weeks ago. I'm surprised the new doctor didn't look at the data from the machine and raise the minimum pressure to reduce my AHI instead of prescribing a FFM. I'm going to increase the minimum pressure tonight and use my nasal mask and see if things are any better after a night or two.

I did download Sleepyhead the other night and that is where I got the pressure and AHI readings from.
When you get into the setup menus, I would strongly suggest getting a pad and pencil/pen and write down all the settings you see and pass through......BEFORE you change anything. That way, you'll have a "reference point" for any future possibilities that may come up.

Then, as you progress, I'd note the changes that have been made.......for the same reasons.

Den

dinycat

Post by dinycat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:23 pm

My pressure range is set fro 8 - 20. Is that too high, too? I THINK my normal is 11, but there are entries from 7 to 13. (Notice I don't know what to even call these numbers yet. Wish there was a course in understanding CPAP stats.)

Pugsy helped me get Encore but I'm having difficulty understanding it. At one point there is the number 20 in the OA box. Isn't that really high? Yet I have a 1.7 AHI.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I seem to have been dumped by my DME and Sleep Central and Rotech and my clinic. They each tell me that the other will provide me with information. So far, everything I've learned, I've learned from this site.

Thank you, all.

dinycat

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:35 am

dinycat wrote:My pressure range is set fro 8 - 20. Is that too high, too? I THINK my normal is 11, but there are entries from 7 to 13. (Notice I don't know what to even call these numbers yet. Wish there was a course in understanding CPAP stats.)

Pugsy helped me get Encore but I'm having difficulty understanding it. At one point there is the number 20 in the OA box. Isn't that really high? Yet I have a 1.7 AHI.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I seem to have been dumped by my DME and Sleep Central and Rotech and my clinic. They each tell me that the other will provide me with information. So far, everything I've learned, I've learned from this site.

Thank you, all.

dinycat
That's a pretty good AHI. Depending on how you feel about your quality of sleep, you might want to try to increase your minimum pressure a couple of centimeters. For some people, restricting the maximum pressure is also a good idea. If a person finds themselves being awakened often, it might be caused by pressure changes and they might be better off trying straight pressure. I've come to believe that a straight pressure somewhere between the "Average" and the "90%" (or 95%)......determined by an Auto CPAP in a restricted range.......usually works pretty good. When the range is too wide, the 90% and 95% are "moving targets" and they can change frequently.

Den

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:16 am

Hi,

Another thought to consider.

Have you checked your data to see exactly when the leaks occur with your Sleepweaver Elan? Your overall leak level may still be totally acceptable.

And your high AHI is most likely due to a wide open range and as a result, the minimum pressure should be adjusted upwards as advised by previous posters. Personally, I think not having the right pressure dialed in has alot more to do with your AHI than leak issues although I am definitely not minimizing them. Just want to make sure you're not being forced to switch from a mask you have had success with for no reason at all since having the right one is so key to this therapy.

49er

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:20 am

Wulfman... wrote:
reader2580 wrote:According to Sleepyhead my average pressure is 5.08 and my 95% pressure is 10.30 over the past six months. If I am reading Sleepyhead right my prescription is minimum of 5 and max of 20. I have never seen an actual written prescription from the doctor.
I see those as a large/huge portion of your problems. Your minimum is too low, you're suffering through too many pressure changes and that's what's disturbing your sleep and the reason your AHI is still way too high. Your machine can't respond to events with the pressure that it needs and in the process, too many events occur and when the machine is trying to respond, and the pressure changes are messing with your sleep.

Time to take control of your own therapy. Also, get a copy of your prescription......you'll need it.

Den

I second this. You may do just fine with your old mask if your settings are better designed for you. Can you post a typical night of graphs? With a more narrow range of pressures, you ahi will probably come down.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:47 am

Couple of ideas.
I wouldn't go changing minimum pressure until I understood that leaks themselves weren't the cause of the elevated AHI.
The leaks may or may not be really bad and I think that needs to be figured out first before increasing the pressure.
Secondly...if leaks are acceptable and more minimum pressure is needed I wouldn't go jumping from 5 cm to 10 cm minimum in one big jump. It's likely to be a difficult adjustment so I suggest going up slowly...like 1 cm for a couple of nights then another 1 cm for a couple nights...watch the AHI data ...might get lucky and not need 10 cm.. Plus I have seen reports where once the minimum is set optimally the 90/95% pressures stabilize much lower than initially seen or thought was needed. Go up slowly if you are going to go up with that minimum. It will be easier to adjust to and you might get lucky and only need 8 cm minimum.

AND most importantly...evaluate the AHI categories...make sure that if you are going to increase the pressure trying to reduce the AHI that the AHI is composed of events that increasing the pressure will fix.
AHI of 6.5....how much of it is central index and how much of it is obstructive apneas and hyponea index?
If it is mainly central...increasing the pressure isn't going to help and might make things worse.

So
1...before worrying about the full face mask thing...make sure that the leaks are really bad and need fixing because of mouth breathing with the over the nose mask. Even if there are a few big leaks it might be better to have 30 minutes in big leak than not being able to sleep for more than 2 hours with a full face mask.
2...before changing the minimum pressure...make sure that we aren't dealing with something that more pressure might make worse. So understand the AHI and it's event categories...don't go on just the AHI alone.

So can you post an image of the detailed nightly report for a typical night?
We talk about it here with some examples.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81072&p=737779#p737779
Need to see the AHI bar graphs on the left side (when using SleepyHead) and the graphs on the right (Events, flow rate, pressure and leak) turn off AHI graph as it isn't needed by going to Preferences and graph tab...remove check mark.
If using Encore...just a screen shot of the detailed single night report. Don't do the summary graphs.

Even if you aren't comfortable with changing anything yourself...and until you are...don't go doing it..
it would help if we could see what is going on so we can give you some ideas as to what to discuss with your medical care providers.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:12 pm

I haven't posted any graphs from Sleepyhead yet because I don't have an account with Photobucket or any other photo sharing site. I might be able to do this with Google Drive.

I did adjust the minimum pressure up a little bit and I notice the machine doesn't seem to cycle up and down so much with each breath.