Please Help with System One

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jrjmpls

Please Help with System One

Post by jrjmpls » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:36 am

The heated tubing on my System One has never worked. It comes on for a while but then shuts off in 15-30 minutes. If I stop the machine and restart it, the tubing will heat for 15-30 minutes and then shut off again. I have replaced the entire machine and the tubing, but the problem still continues.
We keep our bedroom cold at night in winter and I need the tubing to heat to avoid rainout.
Can anyone help-how do I get the heat in the tubing to stay on?
Thanx
Using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Re: Please Help with System One

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 am

What humidity setting are you using?
What temperature setting are you using?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jrjmpls

Post by jrjmpls » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 am

Tube temp-3, hum usually @ 3 or 4.
Using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 am

jrjmpls wrote:Tube temp-3, hum usually @ 3 or 4.
Humidity setting when using the heated tube....only 3 choices...1, 2 or 3 which are 70, 80 & 90 percent.

Hose air temperature choices are based 1 through 5...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-sys ... atures-tab
with a setting of one warming only to 4 degrees above bedroom temp...and increasing with each selection up to 16 degrees above bedroom temp.
"" heated tube has five levels of temperature available, ranging from 4 to 16 degrees above the room temperature.""

How do you know it shuts off after 15 to 30 minutes? What are you using to gauge the on/off function?
The little light on the machine that denotes that the humidifier is working...that's the little blue/orange wavy thing??? Is that what you using and when it goes off you think that the hose has shut off too...??

What makes you think it is shutting off?

What is the relative humidity (approx) in your home in general?

I don't mean to sound flip but what you are saying is happening is not very common and the questions are needed to help isolate possible causes.

Last edited by Pugsy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jrjmpls

Post by jrjmpls » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am

Pugsy wrote:
jrjmpls wrote:Tube temp-3, hum usually @ 3 or 4.
Humidity setting when using the heated tube....only 3 choices...1, 2 or 3 which are 70, 80 & 90 percent.

Hose air temperature choices are based 1 through 5...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-sys ... atures-tab
with a setting of one warming only to 4 degrees above bedroom temp...and increasing with each selection up to 16 degrees above bedroom temp.
"" heated tube has five levels of temperature available, ranging from 4 to 16 degrees above the room temperature.""

How do you know it shuts off after 15 to 30 minutes? What are you using to gauge the on/off function?
The little light on the machine that denotes that the humidifier is working...that's the little blue wavy thing??? Is that what you using and when it goes off you think that the hose has shut off too...??

What makes you think it is shutting off?

What is the relative humidity (approx) in your home in general?

I don't mean to sound flip but what you are saying is happening is not very common and the questions are needed to help isolate possible causes.
I know it shuts off because I can feel it cooling off after a while. It eventually gets very cold (we keep the room cold).
I don't have a blue wavy light. There is an orange wavy light that's always on.
I think it's shutting off because the part of the tube that's not under the blanket is old as ice. And often there is water in the mask which sometimes runs down my face. At least once there was water gurgling in the hose.
Using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 am

Turn the temperature setting up to 5...
Reduce humidity setting to 2. This will help with the rain out to some extent.

I know about cold bedrooms..and ice cube nose.
You may need to add a hose cozy. These are the best I have seen.
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Hosecover.html

You say a cold bedroom...how cold? 50 degrees? It's impossible for the heated hose to increase the temp for a 50 degree bedroom more than 14 degrees and 64 degrees will be really cold air coming to the face.

Since you say you have replaced everything...machine, humidifier and heated hose...I don't know what else to offer.

You are the first to say that the hose shuts off...and I don't know any way to test it.

I do know that during the night the air will seem colder coming to the face than it does initially. Not sure why but I keep a 60 degree (or so) bedroom and I always got ice cube nose in the middle of the night...I know things were still heating but the cold seemed worse.

jrjmpls

Post by jrjmpls » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 am

Pugsy wrote:Turn the temperature setting up to 5...
Reduce humidity setting to 2. This will help with the rain out to some extent.

I know about cold bedrooms..and ice cube nose.
You may need to add a hose cozy. These are the best I have seen.
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Hosecover.html

You say a cold bedroom...how cold? 50 degrees? It's impossible for the heated hose to increase the temp for a 50 degree bedroom more than 14 degrees and 64 degrees will be really cold air coming to the face.

Since you say you have replaced everything...machine, humidifier and heated hose...I don't know what else to offer.

You are the first to say that the hose shuts off...and I don't know any way to test it.

I do know that during the night the air will seem colder coming to the face than it does initially. Not sure why but I keep a 60 degree (or so) bedroom and I always got ice cube nose in the middle of the night...I know things were still heating but the cold seemed worse.
The bedroom is 60.
Using Tapatalk

star444

Post by star444 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Okay, do you have the optional "heated tube", or just a heated humidifier?

The PR System One humidifier has 3 different modes: Classic (c); System One (o); and Heated Tube (h). The Heated Tube (h) option will only display if you are using the heated tubing with the humidifier and the 80W power supply.

The humidifier icon will change color to indicate which mode is being used. White is Classic (c), Blue is System One (o), and Orange is Heated Tube (h).

You said your humidifier icon is BLUE, so either you do not have the optional "heated hose", or, it is not hooked up or setup properly. The heated tube requires more power than a non-heated tube so the power supply used must be the 80W version. (The 60W power supply is not strong enough to power the heated tube.) If you do have the 80W power supply, make sure it is not plugged into a power strip with several other items where it might not be able to get enough power. If you have the 60W power supply, then you either do not have the heated tube, or they gave you the wrong power supply.

If you determine you definitely do have the heated tube and the 80W power supply let us know and we can try additional troubleshooting suggestions. If, on the other hand you find you do not have the heated tube, I still have some hope for you.

When I first got my PR System One REMStar 60 Series SE CPAP Machine with heated humidifier I thought there must be something wrong with the humidifier. I would wake up at night and found no signs of warmth at all. My DME simply said that the machine could "sense" that no humidity was needed. That's it, they had no other suggestions. Anyway, a web search brought me to this forum where I finally found some answers.

I learned that since I did not have the optional heated tube, my humidifier only had two options: 1.) Classic and 2.) System One Humidification. By default it was set to use the System One Humidification which (supposedly) monitors the humidity of the room to determine whether or not added humidity is necessary. Personally, I found the "System One" mode to be worthless.

When you use the patient menu to select the humidifier you can toggle between "O" and "C", where "O" = "System One" mode; and "C" = "Classic" mode. If you change it to the Classic mode the warming plate under the humidifier will turn on and heat the water to provide added humidity... period. It does not try to second-guess whether or not the added humidity is necessary.

If you crank up the heat in Classic mode you will likely experience "rain out", but that can be helped by the use of a tube cover.

Even though the Classic mode is better than the System One mode, it still didn't seem like it was enough for me. Further research helped me figure out that I could buy the "heated tube upgrade kit" for $75 dollars at CPAP.com. That was an excellent choice! (Note: the heated tube upgrade kit only works with the PR System One 60 Series. If you are unsure what model CPAP you have, turn the CPAP over and look for a 3-digit "REF" number.)

One last thing... it would be helpful if you would go to the User Control Panel and add your Equipment information. That makes it easier for others to answer your questions.

Just let us know if you need more help; and good luck in your CPAP journey!

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

jrjmpls

Post by jrjmpls » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 am

I said the indicator is orange. The tube heats when the machine is first turned on and then quits. Then if I stop and start the machine again it heats for a while and then goes off. The humidifier heat stays on-only the tube heat goes on and off. The power supply is 80w. The machine was replaced due to this problem and the new one doesn't work either. I think it's probably an issue with all System Ones and have advised my Doc to recommend something else to his patients.
Using Tapatalk

jrjmpls

Post by jrjmpls » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:42 am

I said the indicator is orange. The tube heats when the machine is first turned on and then quits. Then if I stop and start the machine again it heats for a while and then goes off. The humidifier heat stays on-only the tube heat goes on and off. The power supply is 80w. The machine was replaced due to this problem and the new one doesn't work either. I think it's probably an issue with all System Ones and have advised my Doc to recommend something else to his patients. I don't know what the user control panel is.
Using Tapatalk