Cpap not working

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sclark08

Cpap not working

Post by Sclark08 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:24 am

I switched to Bi-Pap 3 months ago and all of a sudden it's like I am not using anything. Wake up with headaches and nausea. Why.

49er

Re: Cpap not working

Post by 49er » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:40 am

Sclark08 wrote:I switched to Bi-Pap 3 months ago and all of a sudden it's like I am not using anything. Wake up with headaches and nausea. Why.
Hi Schlark08,

Welcome to the forum although I hate for it to be under these circumstances. But hopefully, we can get you back on track.

If you could start by filing out your equipment profile, that would be very helpful because then members can better tailor their responses to your situation. Follow these instructions:

""Go to User Control Panel (upper left on screen) > then Profile tab > then "Edit Equipment" (left side). Select your equipment from the dropdown lists. If you can't find your machine or mask in the dropdown lists just put the info into your next post.""

There could be a "million" reasons why your therapy isn't working ranging from wearing the wrong mask to not having the correct pressure. And hopefully, you have a data capable machine that will let you access data that can help everyone analyze problem areas that may be interfering with your success.

Hang in there.

49er

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:43 am

Welcome Sclark -- 49er covered the first order of business, listing your machine, mask, etc.

Next, do you know how to access the clinical menu for your machine? Can you see if the pressures were set correctly, i.e., according to the prescription your doc wrote? Do you use software to see what's going on with your therapy -- AHI, leaks, etc.? All this info will be helpful as we try to figure out what might be going on now with your therapy.

Did you start feeling poorly immediately after switching to bilevel three months ago? What was the reason for the switch to bilevel? Anything else new or different in these last three months that could be relevant to how you're feeling?

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:54 am

I will list my equipment. Thanks so much!
I can't get mt
Y machine pic to show It is a resp BIPAP Auto Biflex

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Sclark08 wrote:I will list my equipment. Thanks so much!
I can't get mt
Y machine pic to show It is a resp BIPAP Auto Biflex
Can you verify which of the Respironics BiPAPs you are using?

If you don't now anything else, please read through my Newbie Guide to Respironics Machines. While my post is primarily about CPAP/APAPs, the BiPAPs of the same generation look exactly like the CPAPs and APAPs. So if your machine looks like the picture of a System One Series 60 CPAP/APAP then that's what you have, for example. (The links to the Series 60 machines are under "PR" not "Respironics" by the way.)

Also note: For some time the links to the older Respironics machines have NOT been working in the equipment profiles. So if your machine is a like mine (a System One Series 50 BiPAP Auto), selecting the right link will NOT make your equipment show up in your signature. You'll need to add the equipment to the "Other comments" field in the equipment part of your profile.

Now to your original problem: You say you were switched to BiPAP about three months ago, and the BiPAP isn't doing anything for you. Some questions:

1) Were you on CPAP or APAP before the switch? If so, which? And what were the pressure settings? And how long did you use CPAP/APAP before being switched to BiPAP? And how did you feel when you were on CPAP/APAP?

2) Why were you switched to BiPAP? Did you have a formal BiPAP titration? Or did the doc just pick the BiPAP pressures based on your CPAP/APAP pressures?

3) What are your settings on the BiPAP? Are you using it in fixed pressure mode or auto mode? Are you using Bi-Flex? If so, what is it set to?

4) Have you been able to get any data off the machine? Depending on how old your BiPAP is and how it was set up, you should be able to get some data off the machine's LCD. In particular, can you find out what your machine says your treated AHI is?

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:22 pm

I was put on bipap due to copd. I was fighting the exhale with other machine