question re: rain out while using a new mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
beautifuldreamer

question re: rain out while using a new mask?

Post by beautifuldreamer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:27 am

Two weeks ago, I started trying out the Nuance Pro mask (prior to that I had been using the Wisp). I like the feel of the Nuance- much more comfortable than the Wisp-
but last night I noticed I started experiencing rain out?

I am wondering what could be causing this, I did not experience this while using the Wisp- I do have a heated hose with heated humidifier, using the respironics auto bipap.

Thanks for any thoughts and or suggestions
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

Wulfman...

Re: question re: rain out while using a new mask?

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:01 am

beautifuldreamer wrote:Two weeks ago, I started trying out the Nuance Pro mask (prior to that I had been using the Wisp). I like the feel of the Nuance- much more comfortable than the Wisp-

I am wondering what could be causing this, I did not experience this while using the Wisp- I do have a heated hose with heated humidifier, using the respironics auto bipap.

Thanks for any thoughts and or suggestions
"Rain out" is simply condensation. Warm air can carry only so much moisture. If that warm, moist air is cooled it condenses into water droplets........and, the air pressure pushes as much of it as it can up the hose to the mask. Any where along that way it can condense into water droplets. It may be in the hose or in the mask, or both. If your bedroom temperature became cooler than it had been previously, then that would account for it. It could be that there is a difference in the masks and one is more susceptible to cooling that warm air more than the previous one.

Den

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:42 am

beautifuldreamer wrote:Two weeks ago, I started trying out the Nuance Pro mask (prior to that I had been using the Wisp). I like the feel of the Nuance- much more comfortable than the Wisp-

The moisture in your hose is coming from your humidification tank to keep your mouth and or nostrils from drying out. It occurs more often in the winter months when the ambient temperature becomes colder and when it gets below the temperature of the hose surface, condensation of the water vapor coming from your cpap unit condenses inside of the hose. There are a couple of solutions, one of which is to purchase a hose with a heater element in the hose. These are not usually covered by insurance and they are not exactly inexpensive. "CPAP.com" has a hose cover which is much more affordable and works quite well. I purchased one about two years ago and it has worked well for me.

Hope that helps.

Merry Christmas
Roger

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 am

See my post in this thread..2nd from the top about rain out in the mask. Saves my fingers from having to type all that stuff again.
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

I suspect your bedroom temperature last night was a bit cooler than it has been in the past since this is first time you have had rain out at the mask level. I get it too even with my heated hose sometimes.

The barrel cozy has been my best friend and helps a lot.
Give me a little bit to go dig out my Nuance pillows to see if Padacheek barrel cozy for the Swift FX will work on it. Will report back shortly.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:14 am

She already has the system one 60 series heated hose.
beautifuldreamer wrote:I do have a heated hose with heated humidifier,

Okay...report on the Padacheek Swift FX barrel cozy being applied to the Nuance nasal pillows..it will work. Probably would have to enlarge the holes for the cones though. It will need to get past the first big rim of the gel pillow that rests on your nostril ..down to the nasal pillow "neck" just below the gel.
I already had the holes on mine enlarged because I was using it on my Tap Pap plastic barrel.
Karen at Padacheek says that the Swift LT barrel cozy would work well on my Tap Pap but since I had the Swift FX cozy..I made it work.
I don't know if the Swift LT barrel cozy would work better on the Nuance or not. The Swift FX cozy would work fine. Covers the important stuff and leaves the vents uncovered with no chance of it moving and covering them by accident.
My suggestion is to contact Karen at Padacheek.com and ask her if she had a Nuance to try the Swift LT and Swift FX barrel cozy on...to see which one might work the best.
If she doesn't have one...I know the Swift FX cozy does work..just have to enlarge the holes a little. Someone could try it with just covering the cones and not enlarging the holes but I don't know how well it would seal...I can't try it as I already had larger holes needed for the Tap Pap pillows.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Some rainout can be prevented by locating the machine lower than the mattress. In that way most moisture in the hose will be directed back towards the humidifier rather that to the mask.