Got my vitamin D3 test results. Any comments appreciated.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thewino

Re: Got my vitamin D3 test results. Any comments appreciated.

Post by Thewino » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:08 am

The fat soluble vitamins are: A, D, E, and K. So, if you eat a meal while taking the Vitamin D supplement, your body will increase the level more quickly.

I have an auto-immune disorder that seems to thrive on Vitamins B12 and D. I take 50,000IU of Vitamin D once weekly (this is an Rx) and 1,000IU once daily.

With Vitamin D, the timing doesn't matter as much as taking it with a meal.

Be well,
TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Thewino wrote: I have an auto-immune disorder that seems to thrive on Vitamins B12 and D. I take 50,000IU of Vitamin D once weekly (this is an Rx) and 1,000IU once daily. Be well,
TheWino
Well, you learn something new and amazing everyday... or else that's a typo.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

sawinglogz

Post by sawinglogz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:07 pm

During the depths of my pre-treatment insomnia I started taking D3 (4000 IU/day) and when the doc finally tested me a few months later, I was only at 30. My sleep doc (neurologist) said she likes to see it around 60-70, so recommended I increase the dosage.

Nearly a year of 10,000 IU/day later, I measured 125! So I dropped the supplements and we'll see where I am in 6 months or so. Interestingly, my reflux seemed to improve a bit when I stopped taking the D3. (But it definitely hasn't gone away.)

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
Thewino wrote: I have an auto-immune disorder that seems to thrive on Vitamins B12 and D. I take 50,000IU of Vitamin D once weekly (this is an Rx) and 1,000IU once daily. Be well,
TheWino
Well, you learn something new and amazing everyday... or else that's a typo.
No Sir, Sir NoddinOff, this is not a typo. I've struggled for the past 6-7 years trying to get both my Vitamins B12 and D to acceptable levels.

My last lab draw proved that, finally, I have my Vitamin B12 in normal levels but after trying for years, my Vitamin D just will not reach the normal level. Therefore, at my last Rheumatologist appointment he started me on a prescription D2 50,000IU once weekly and Vitamin D3 1,000IU's daily.

It's quite a dose and I'm pretty interested in seeing my next lab results.

Be well Sir,
TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

Jim-Bob

Post by Jim-Bob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:05 am

I had a 29 and then started taking 15000 per day (3 gelcaps of 5000 each) for about 7 weeks and then retested and was at 84. My doctor raised his eyebrow pretty high when I told him how much I was taking and what range I was shooting for and why. His eyebrow went running up to the top of his forehead. But I told him to relax; I was just running an experiment. He wrote the script for the retest.

purple

Post by purple » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:28 am

Another possibility for low Vitamin D3 levels. Starting several months ago my sister (who is over sixty) went through a period of really strange health problems, that cost a lot of time, while she was suffering, an incredible amount of money. A bunch of doctors scratching their head. Finally one doc noticed she had low Vitamin D3, has high calcium levels, while taking Vitamin D3. Decided it was likely a Parathyroid tumor. I bet you never heard of a Parathyroid gland. She had the tumors removed by the one guy who does this surgery without slitting the patients throat from one ear to the other in Tampa Florida. She has had some improvement in energy. Not as much as one would hope.

Notice this is not a, if you have low Vitamin D3, that you have Parathyroid tumors, as D3 levels can fluctuate over age and other factors. If that might be a concern for you, then google the diagnosis.

The surgeon in Tampa said most doctors miss the diagnosis of Parathyroid tumors. He saw a lot of folks who developed Parathyroid tumors who had their thyroids Oblated. Hers was typical in that her Thyroid had been Oblated the usual ten years before.

He gave her some nice pictures of the tumors after they were removed.

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:43 am

Hey Purple,

Certain Auto-immune disorders are well known to cause a decreased Vitamin D level. Auto-immune problems aren't usually associated with Calcium levels; either high nor low.

Since the Parathyroid regulates the Calcium level in your body, a simple lab draw BMP (basic metabolic panel) would usually pick this up. The lab BMP checks your electrolytes like potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, etc... Any time your BMP shows a Calcium level of ten, this deserves a follow-up. If the level is above ten, then there is a problem.

Certainly if you have a tumor, ablation or removal is necessary.

I, personally, don't have any parathyroid issues but in addition to everything else mentioned, I have hypothyroidism and take medication that increases my TSH and my Free T3. Just this past month, I finally got my TSH, T3, and T4 within normal ranges. Yeah!!

Happy Holidays!!
TheWino