Extreme bloating and stomach pain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bogeybum

Extreme bloating and stomach pain

Post by bogeybum » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:55 am

Hi all, I'm new to all this!

Bit of background - I'm a very recent user of CPAP after trying unsuccessfully a number of years ago (I found that CPAP use and the lifestyle of a single twentysomething didn't mix!). Having a problem though.

I wake each morning having effectively been inflated overnight by my machine. This give me really bad stomach pains and the potential for acute embarrassment at work until it finally dissipates by the afternoon. I have reported this to my doctor who has given me a new mask to try - I was initially on a full face mask, but am now using a nasal mask. I also wake up feeling no benefit from the machine as I still feel as lousy and tired as I always did.

The new mask has made no difference to the bloating.

I use the S9 Escape machine so I do not have any data to report on which is a shame because I suspect that I am still obstructing overnight which results in the air being pushed into my stomach rather than my lungs. During my sleep study I obstructed on average 52.6 times an hour which I understand is quite a lot, and for all I know it's still going on.

Is this type of bloating common? Should I put it down to teething problems or is it symptomatic of something else? I am concerned that being pumped full of air all night is going to give me digestive problems to go on top of everything else!

Thanks guys. Newbie-type support needed here, I think!

bogeybum

Re: Extreme bloating and stomach pain

Post by bogeybum » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:56 am

I ought to add that I've read plenty from the site and couldn't find any direct reference to this, but if it exists I'm happy to be pointed!

Cheers.

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:30 am

There have been many references to this; it is called "aerophagia". If you search on that term, you'll find many threads discussing it. On nights when I have it that badly, the pain wakes me up and I burp multiple times throughout the night, along with curling up colonoscopy-style and fart out as much as possible.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:18 am

What pressure are you using?
Are you using the EPR feature on your machine? If so at what setting?

Aerophagia can be a real bear for some people. Depending on your answers to the above questions there might be a couple of things to try to relieve the symptoms.

You may need a different machine that offers even more relief...kinda hope you do...those models all have full data.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bogeybum

Post by bogeybum » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 am

Pugsy wrote:What pressure are you using?
Are you using the EPR feature on your machine? If so at what setting?

Aerophagia can be a real bear for some people. Depending on your answers to the above questions there might be a couple of things to try to relieve the symptoms.

You may need a different machine that offers even more relief...kinda hope you do...those models all have full data.
I am on 11.6 - not sure what EPR is though so not sure if I am or not!

I have another appointment with my consultant in a fee weeks so maybe I can talk them into giving me another machine

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:56 am

EPR is ResMed's Exhale Pressure Relief. A drop in pressure (settings available 1 through 3 cm drop during exhale).
Typically considered a comfort feature.
See this manual for explanation and how to get to the setting in the clinical menu to turn it on or increase it.
3 setting is a 3 cm drop during exhale. Sometimes EPR at some level is enough to reduce or eliminate the aerophagia symptoms you are having.
Worth a try if you aren't using it...or increasing it if you are using a lower setting.
If you are already using a setting of 3 EPR then you may need to talk to your doctor about a different type of machine.
You do have options though.

http://www.apneuvereniging.nl/forum/pdf ... manual.pdf
For a different machine than the Escape but the basics of how to get to menu and settings is the same.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:11 pm

bogeybum wrote:Hi all, I'm new to all this!

Is this type of bloating common?
I do read about it often here and have experienced it myself.
bogeybum wrote: Should I put it down to teething problems or is it symptomatic of something else?
From my experience I would say that it may be something that will lessen or go away. The only times I have experienced it were when there was excessive stress in my life. The times I have read about it here I also see other signs of high respiratory control system gain (unstable breathing) and I do believe it is related to that state.

So stress and respiratory control system gain are somehow related to this problem from what I can see. I think stress is also directly related to acid reflux which may also play a part in this by affecting the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) as well as the upper airway.
bogeybum wrote: I am concerned that being pumped full of air all night is going to give me digestive problems to go on top of everything else!

Thanks guys. Newbie-type support needed here, I think!
I often wonder if digestive problems also play a part in the development of this bloating problem. If the stomach is already upset and say closes off the pyloric sphincter (lower stomach valve) and then spasms I suppose the contents might well push past the LES and compromise that valve. Then add CPAP pressure which pushes past the LES going into the stomach and you have your bloating.

To aid digestion I eat a lot of varied veggies (lots of salad and other raw veggies included), some sources of soluble fiber, a balance of other stuff, and pretty much stay away from added sugar (less than 100g/d). I also try to include a good variety of fermented foods such as yogurt (plain, no growth hormone) and Kimchi. No GMOs.

Exercise seems to help the entire digestive tract. I love my four or so miles a day walking!

I think you would do well to reduce life stress if you can.

I think if I were you I would be spending some quality time with the machine during the day. Part of it would be on the bed learning to breath quietly as you should at rest and in bed. Part of it would be with some distraction such as radio, reading, or light TV.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:39 pm

I had the same problem as you, and tried changing my pressures, sleeping position, and mask. The doctor switched me to a bi-level machine and it has been a huge improvement. I still have air problems on occasion, but it is mild and I basically get rid of it within a minute or two.

Emsy80

Post by Emsy80 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:55 pm

I have the same problem and use 'degas' it's a tablet form from the chemist. You still may still need to expel a bit of wind in the mornings bit it goes quit quickly. I also don't have the bad pains In my stomach anymore either. I do need to take 2 tablets as one isn't enough.