Need help interpreting sleepyhead data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jak3099

Need help interpreting sleepyhead data

Post by Jak3099 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:47 pm

About 2 weeks ago, I posted how I was thinking of switching to a dental appliance for OSA. Several members suggested I change my pressure from 4-16 to 6-16. I've been doing that for a while now, and thought I would post some of my sleepyhead data to see what further changes can be made.

One thing I have noticed is that when my 90% pressures were closer to 6 cm H2O, I had more CA events.

LSAT

Re: Need help interpreting sleepyhead data

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 pm

NO CHANGES ARE NEEDED....Leave the settings alone. You are doing great (If you are sleeping well and feeling rested). CAs are not an issue for you!!!!!

Jak3099

Post by Jak3099 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks! I'm sleeping better than when I had the lower pressure, but am not feeling as rested as I would hope. I still need to hook up my cozy hose boss.... for the past 2 weeks I've been laying the tubing on my bed instead of using a hanger.

edit: oh and I definitely need to go to bed/wake up at consistent times!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm

What does your flow limitation graph look like? I can't see it on this image.

Is 1:30 AM your usual bedtime? Do you always get 7 to 8 hours of sleep? Are those hours of sleep fragmented for any reason?
Mask leaks or fiddling with the mask or something else causing wake ups?
Do you take any meds even OTC stuff.

Sometimes we look really good on paper but there can be other things going on to impact our sleep quality and thus how we might feel the next day.
It might also simply be that everything is optimal and you just need more time to see the benefits but unless your flow limitation graph is wildly crazy (and the statistics on the left don't lean towards that being the case) you look good on paper.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jak3099

Post by Jak3099 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Pugsy, here's my flow limitation graph that goes along with the ones in my first post:

By the way, how is the flow limitation graph interpreted?

My bedtime varies between 12-1 am, and wake-up between 8-9:30 am. My sleep gets fragmented from leaks/exhaust, tossing and turning from side to side, and from hose-tangling.

I take lexapro, ativan, and mens' vitamins every morning. I don't smoke, and drink at most once per week.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Flow limitation evaluation is difficult to quantify but if you check the last 2 or 3 days worth of threads you will see some discussion.
Your flow limitation graph isn't particularly exciting though. I have seen much worse.

Anything that causes fragmented sleep is going to affect how you feel the next day because it messes with the quality of sleep and the needed sleep stage progression. So the mask issues, while not uncommon, are likely playing a part in how you feel.

Also look closely at the side effects that are possible from the medications you take.
Ativan...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorazepam http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6685-Ativan+Oral.aspx
This one in particular....Drowsiness

Lexapro
http://www.rxlist.com/lexapro-side-effe ... center.htm
SSRIs are known culprits for not feeling so great during the day.
Not only do they cause drowsiness they can cause insomnia..trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep.

So you are taking 2 meds that have the potential to affect how you feel during the day and very likely are impacting things so some extent..how much we don't know.

Work on the mask problems for sure and talk with your doctor about your meds and their potential impact on your daytime symptoms whatever they may be. Perhaps a change in dosage or time of dose might lessen any impact they might be having.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.