What to do ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rosacer

What to do ?

Post by rosacer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Y'all,

I have been having problems with my skin lately. I have been using nasal pillows + Lansinoh (Headrest modified and not modified; Tap Pad which is a torture on my teeth somehow) since 3 years ago and I started having a red mark kind of irritation where the pillows rest up on my face at the entrance of the nose.

I have put VItamine E, hydrating creams, facial creams, even a cortisone OTC cream (this helped a bit but the moment I stopped it came back the same), noting helps the problem continues. This red patch is itchy some times and has like very very little kind of red dots.

I used a FF last night and I woke up with a huge crack on the face, one side is still aching after one hour, even if I put cold water on my face and a daily facial cream the big mark is there.

Your comments, suggestions, solutions are very welcome. I don't know which mast I will use SIGH. I have an Activa I will try this night but I think it will make the nasty marks again.

Thanks

Rosie

BlackSpinner

Re: What to do ?

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 am

Have you talked to a dermatologist? Because you seem to have done everything that is available over the counter.

Are you using a mask liner with the FFM?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 am

Try glycerine. It doesn't seem to harm the pillows in any way that I have noticed.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi Rosie,
I've never used pillows but the idea of having another mask/option is a good idea.
Your pressures are low and if you're having such issues with the FFM, could you have the straps too tight? I used to have skin issues, but they were resolved with cushion liners...thinking because it lets the skin breathe.
Good luck,
J

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:10 pm

@ blackspinner,
I haven't consult with a dermatologist, it takes 6 months to have an appointment so I would see her somewhere in spring time LOL.

@ Stormynights,
Glicerine? What do you do with it? Do you use it as a facial cream? I tried Aloe Vera Gel but it didn't change much.

@ jamiswolf,
I have a cushion liner I made LOL, I use it with the FFM because in the past when my pressure was 11cmH20 it helped me to stop the leaks. I don't know if my liner is too thin ?

Today I was working outside in the cold (37 F) and now the top my hands is burning. Maybe one of the problems is that my skin is too dry? Which easy solution can I try ?

Thanks again guys.

Rosie

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:18 pm

I use plain vegetable glycerine a lot. It is very healing and is found in a lot of skin care products. It isn't greasy at all and I think it actually helps with the seal.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 pm

I use the Ayr Gel. It nice and soothing - won't do anything to your mask either. I would go see another dermatologist that is not booked up six months in advance!!

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:37 pm

rosacer wrote:Hi Y'all,

I have been having problems with my skin lately. I have been using nasal pillows + Lansinoh (Headrest modified and not modified; Tap Pad which is a torture on my teeth somehow) since 3 years ago and I started having a red mark kind of irritation where the pillows rest up on my face at the entrance of the nose.

I have put VItamine E, hydrating creams, facial creams, even a cortisone OTC cream (this helped a bit but the moment I stopped it came back the same), noting helps the problem continues. This red patch is itchy some times and has like very very little kind of red dots.

I used a FF last night and I woke up with a huge crack on the face, one side is still aching after one hour, even if I put cold water on my face and a daily facial cream the big mark is there.

Your comments, suggestions, solutions are very welcome. I don't know which mast I will use SIGH. I have an Activa I will try this night but I think it will make the nasty marks again.

Thanks

Rosie
First of all I believe that what happens on the skin may be a reflection of what is going on in the gut. I have been reading about microbiome and making changes to my diet (much more raw veggies of many kinds as well as fruites, fermented foods, severely reducing added sugar...). As part of this I have taken a liking to "Greek Gods Greek Yogurt Traditional Plain". Yes I really have taken to liking it plain.

Yogurt is known as a way to treat fungal skin infection and I have found that true. Very good on bug bites as well. From what I can tell if you have a particular yogurt as part of your diet (note - free from all the sugar and all the other crazy things they tend to put in yogurt these days) then your body already "knows" the "active culture" bacteria which made the yogurt yogurt. My skin seems to absolutley love the stuff. Always soothing. If I use it near my nose it seems to ease the symptoms of a cold.

Make a good, no additive, no rbST/rbGH yogurt part of your diet and then dab a bit on the red spots. I have used this before bed on my nose where CPAP presses. Always soothing.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 pm

If your facial sores are recent, don't wait for the dermatologist--go directly to your primary doc to rule out MRSA with a culture/lab test:
You do not need to wait for it to get worse, and the mere mention of MRSA should get you immediate attention.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks chunky for your concern, very appreciated . I don't have sores thank God, I have a red irritated area right there where the nasal pillows rest (entrance of the nose if I can say that LOL). When I don't use the pillows the problem tend to improve and the skin becomes normal again.

My skin has a hard time now that I don't eat as much oil and junk as I used to do As I told my hands were burning with only 1.5 hours working outside at 37F I see I need to do something because the cold is not really started and I already have this problem.

I went buy vegetable glycerin and I found a cream with Urea which is supposed to ease the burning sensation but man it toke time to stop burning. The area of the hand around the knuckles is very read now it is not burning after the glycerin and the urea cream.

I will need something really good for this old skin

Sleeplessinaz, I take note of the Ayr Gel and I will check at pharmacy, thanks .