aromatherapy - i did give it a try last night,

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
johnthomasmacdonald

aromatherapy - i did give it a try last night,

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:54 pm

i put a few drops of lemon essence oil on some cotton balls and placed them under the air intake filter. the difference was immediately noticeable with the pleasant scent rather than the somewhat electrical smell ( which isn't awful but isn't pleasurable either) and it was nice to wake up to the scent. I did sleep better - longer with fewer wakeups - but i have no idea if it were related.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: aromatherapy - i did give it a try last night,

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm spoiled for that little hint of fragrance.
I only notice it when I first mask up, but if it fades, I do miss it.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 pm

Once a month when I clean my hose with Climate III, which leaves a slight chemical smell, I put a bar of one of my wife's fancy sandalwood soaps next to the intake port of my S9. It gives the whole air circuit a nice smell that isn't too overpowering. One night is all it takes to get rid of the chemical smell.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:31 pm

I have used Pur-Sleep aromatherapy since about 3 weeks into my PAP journey, and I will probably use it forever. If you have different scents and use a different one each night or mix those that are pleasing together, it is very enjoyable, almost relaxing as you drift off to sleep with a nice light fragrance flowing on the air. Is it necessary, no, do I care, no, and for me that settles it .

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:40 pm

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:I have used Pur-Sleep aromatherapy since about 3 weeks into my PAP journey, and I will probably use it forever. If you have different scents and use a different one each night or mix those that are pleasing together, it is very enjoyable, almost relaxing as you drift off to sleep with a nice light fragrance flowing on the air. Is it necessary, no, do I care, no, and for me that settles it .

John
My favorite is the spice. I wish I could use it all the time but I just treat myself on bad nights.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:57 am

Stormynights wrote: My favorite is the spice. I wish I could use it all the time but I just treat myself on bad nights.

Yeah Stormy, Spice is a favorite of mine as well. I didn't know about it until Chunky Frog shared with us how much she liked it. I sometimes mix in 'Clear' scent with it to get a spicy and minty combo going, almost like those cinnamon and peppermint candies that some restaurants will have at the Hosts station by the front door.

For me it is a rare night when I don't use some sort of scent. I guess I am spoiling myself, but just like the old commercial used to say about a shampoo or perfume... I am worth it

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:00 am

Hi John and group...
I've used Pur Sleep as well and found it quite pleasing.

One related thought which I haven't tried out yet. Back many years I belonged to a gym that had a Eucalyptus inhalation room which was very refreshing and opened up nasal passages nicely. My thought is perhaps it might help with the ever present congestion issue that cpappers have...though it tends to be stimulating rather then relaxing. If I ever get around to ordering any Eucalyptus oil...I'll report my findings.
Jamis

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:43 pm

jamiswolf wrote:Hi John and group...
I've used Pur Sleep as well and found it quite pleasing.

One related thought which I haven't tried out yet. Back many years I belonged to a gym that had a Eucalyptus inhalation room which was very refreshing and opened up nasal passages nicely. My thought is perhaps it might help with the ever present congestion issue that cpappers have...though it tends to be stimulating rather then relaxing. If I ever get around to ordering any Eucalyptus oil...I'll report my findings.
Jamis
Hi jamiswolf,
Been meaning to tell you that I am glad you are back in our little hose head world, I for one have missed your enjoyable posts and helpful insights!
I would be real interested in your findings on Eucalyptus oil. After many years in the landscaping and horticulture fields I have been amazed at the many different fragrances that the different Eucalyptus species can have, from mint to menthol, citrus to rose, even lavender to sage. It is a really amazing genus
John

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 am

JB wrote: Hi jamiswolf,
Been meaning to tell you that I am glad you are back in our little hose head world, I for one have missed your enjoyable posts and helpful insights!
I would be real interested in your findings on Eucalyptus oil. After many years in the landscaping and horticulture fields I have been amazed at the many different fragrances that the different Eucalyptus species can have, from mint to menthol, citrus to rose, even lavender to sage. It is a really amazing genus
John
Thanks JB, you're too kind. This thread reminded me of the Eucalyptus idea which has been stirring in the back of my head for some time. So I have some on order and should be able to put it too the test soon. I never realized there were many varieties with different scents. I may have to try some from different sources. I'll be sure to report soon. I lived in San Diego for 20 years and like you, have always enjoyed the tree.
Jamis

DeepBreathing

Post by DeepBreathing » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I gave eucalyptus oil a go last night. We often use it as an inhalant for stuffy noses and also as a powerful cleaning agent.

I put a small quantity on a folded handkerchief and placed it just near the air inlet on my machine. The aroma coming down the hose was lovely, and I could feel my nasal passages opening up nicely. After a little while (ten minutes maybe?) it got to be a bit overpowering so I removed the handkerchief. I'll try again tonight with a smaller quantity and not so close to the inlet.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:55 pm

DeepBreathing wrote:I gave eucalyptus oil a go last night. We often use it as an inhalant for stuffy noses and also as a powerful cleaning agent.

I put a small quantity on a folded handkerchief and placed it just near the air inlet on my machine. The aroma coming down the hose was lovely, and I could feel my nasal passages opening up nicely. After a little while (ten minutes maybe?) it got to be a bit overpowering so I removed the handkerchief. I'll try again tonight with a smaller quantity and not so close to the inlet.
Hey that sounds promising. thanks DB. With aromatherapy I think it's easy to overdo it. J

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:50 pm

My first impression is that loading up the intake with scents is a real health risk. I don't have any studies, but I suspect the concentration must be much higher than what would be in a room air space with normal use. The aromatics are often put in carriers or solvents and their concentration would be quite high compared to normal use.

Exposure would be continuous over a long period and not mitigated by chemical dissipation or your moving from room to room.

I don't know if it would absorb into the air filter or absorb into the filter and also how it would release.

Again, no proof, but I wouldn't do it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:15 pm

A tiny amount of raw essential oils would be far less hazardous than burning a scented candle in your living space.
Aside from the fire hazard, combustion by-products are generally toxic.
PurSleep and SnuggleScents have been tested for cpap use.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 am

sleepy1235 wrote: My first impression is that loading up the intake with scents is a real health risk. I don't have any studies, but I suspect the concentration must be much higher than what would be in a room air space with normal use. The aromatics are often put in carriers or solvents and their concentration would be quite high compared to normal use.
Essential oils in general, and specifically those offered for cpap use, are steam extracted from organically grown plant parts. No carriers or additives.

And the method of use normally is to use a few drops on a cotton ball near the cpap intake. I thought it was a wacky idea too until I tried it.
Jamis

Apneanderthal

Post by Apneanderthal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Interesting thread. I used to sell essential oils wholesale, and I still have a stock of various oils at home. I suffer terribly from insomnia, which of course makes the ASV moot on those bad nights. I think I'll try some lavender oil on a cotton ball tonight and see how things go. Maybe some peppermint and/or eucalyptus for those stuffy headed nights (most nights).