Husband won't keep CPap mask on

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Overit

Husband won't keep CPap mask on

Post by Overit » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:01 am

My husband has horrible snoring. It hit the point last month that i was wearing ear plugs to bed, and making him sleep on a cot across the room from me. Being 8 months pregnant, I really need to be able to sleep at night and it just wasn't happening. My father and a friend of ours recommended my husband try the CPAP machine to help with the snoring. (They both use them and said it stopped their snoring instantly). So my father gave my hubby a spare one he had. The first night he used it, he left it on all night, and didn't make a single sound. It was AMAZING! I got to sleep with out ear plugs and he got to sleep in the bed with me again. He woke up the next morning talking about how awesome he felt and well rested. I thought our problems were done there. But after one night he decided all of a sudden the mask wasn't comfortable. He would wear it when he first went to bed, but after a couple of hours he would take it off and not put it back on. And as soon as it's off, the snoring is back on. And louder than before. My dad realized he forgot to give us the humidifier attatchment for it, so we put that on hoping it would help. But once again after a couple of hours, he would take it off again saying its not comfortable. I ended up sitting at my computer from 2am until 6am this morning because I couldn't sleep through his snoring. Ear plugs weren't even blocking the noise out. Does anyone have any advice?? Please I am getting desperate. Im worried also that his snoring is going to end up keeping the baby awake at night when she arrives... Please someone help before I rip my hair out!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Husband won't keep CPap mask on

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 am

If your husband has not had a sleep study, that would be a good place to start.
He may not need or be comfortable with the same pressure as your father.
It may even be possible (but not likely) that he doesn't need it.
In any case. the pressure and mask need to be a good fit for it to work.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:15 am

Hi there,
I agree with Chunkyfrog. CPAP machines and masks are not like tube socks where one size fits all. It's best he gets a sleep study done to determine HIS correct pressure and what mask Imigjt be a good fit for him. Best money and time spent if you want him around to see your baby graduate from college.

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

lyankowy

Post by lyankowy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am

Overit, these suggestions are correct. A proper pressure and mask are essential to helping your husband get a good night's rest, and you as well. He needs to schedule a sleep study to determine the severity of his breathing disorder, and then the ball will start to roll.

Don't delay! This needs to get done asap!

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Even those of us with a proper sleep study, prescription, etc. have a period of adjustment. I took to CPAP right away and then had some adjustment and I'm back on the upswing with compliance.

Good luck!

You are the Zzz's knees!

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:33 pm

It takes weeks or even months to get used to a mask an CPAP.
The first step is to admit you need it.
You need to give him an ultimatum get a sleep study, wear the mask or sleep in another room and die early.
What kind of CPAP machine do you have? Brand and model. If is an auto he can probably use it until he gets a study.
Masks are very personal. Many of us try 10 or more before we find one we like. Most folks here hate the one I love.

hueyville

Post by hueyville » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Go double down on his life insurance then tell him what got you pregnant wont happen again if your too tired from not sleeping due to his snoring. When mine got to the point she moved to another bedroom I had to rethink the hose.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:33 am

hueyville wrote:Go double down on his life insurance then ...
With a new baby on the way, it might help to have a financial discussion with your husband.
My Mayo neurologist kept telling me that "untreated sleep apnea will kill you!"

College costs will likely be north of $100K per year in 18 years and you'll need to get prepared in case he dies from a heart attack, stroke, etc. that are all outcomes of untreated sleep apnea.

If you have a spare bedroom, one of you move into it until after the baby is at least two years old. You having sleepless nights won't make it more likely that you will be able to care for a new infant.

I agree with the suggestion that he get a sleep study to see what it will take to treat his snoring problem.
You need to go along to see the doctor to make sure the doctor understands what you are experiencing at night.
You husband may well just pass it off when asked about it if you aren't there.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm

My wife just took and ordered a time for me with sleep doctor. Then I got orders to go there. I thank her for that today, because I got a whole new life, and probably a longer too.

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:16 pm

Lazer1234 wrote:My wife just took and ordered a time for me with sleep doctor. Then I got orders to go there.
Sounds like our household. My husband knows better to argue when I get the "she who must be obeyed" look.
Last week he had his first preventative diagnostic colonoscopy...at age 64..long overdue even though he has zero problems.
When the doctor asked him right before the procedure.."Why are you having this done today?"..he replied.."Because my wife said I had to"....Doctor said.."that's what I hear from most of the men"

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lilinik75

Post by lilinik75 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:09 am

I am i n the same boat as you except i have an ear deformity and cant wear ear plugs in my right ear.
My husband keeps ripping his mask off and throwing it across the room. I am litterally in tears right now becausebi havent slept in 2 days. My dr prescribed me 15 mg of Temazepam and i take 3 sleeping pills a night (3 X the recomended dosage) and i still cant sleep. His snoring and desperat gasps for breath can be heard thru out the whole house and even my neighhbor says he can hear sometimes. Ive resorted to sleeping in my car because its the only place i can get a good nights rest. Unfortunatly when tempatures are below freezing outside i stay up all night being slowly driven insane.
Tonight i found my self standing over him in bed crying. I was seriously considering suffocating him with a pillow just to make the snoring stop. I love my husband so much but i freally feel like im going mad. My dr keeps perscribing more and more pills to help me sleep.
I am currently taking Prozac Tizanidine Tramadol and amitriptyline trazodone and xanax everynight and i still cant sleep. Even fell asleep behind the wheel. Driving the other day. I'm beginning to think divorce is the only solution and I really don't want to leave my husband.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 am

Lazer1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm
My wife just took and ordered a time for me with sleep doctor. Then I got orders to go there. I thank her for that today, because I got a whole new life, and probably a longer too.
This was typed is Swedish and then Google Translated to English. Not perfect English, but the meaning is quite clear!

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:21 am

To the OP,

You husband just get a machine and a mask without any medical consultation. At least it helped the first night.

Ideally, he needs a sleep study. Barring that (or until it can happen), you might want to try a different mask and/or different settings. If the machine has stats, you'll want to analyze those to determine the best setting. To address the mask issue, you husband will need to articulate why it's uncomfortable. It might just be too tight or too loose. It might hit his face in a bad (for him) place. If it's the latter, you should be able to find a mask that fits differently.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 am

Zombie thread alert. Check post dates.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 am
Zombie thread alert. Check post dates.
An April Fools Zombie?? They're the worst kind! ;)

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.