SOftGel Mask Squeaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pikov22

SOftGel Mask Squeaks

Post by pikov22 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:09 am

Is it OK to spray a little silicone on the joint at the elbow?

Bill44133

Re: SOftGel Mask Squeaks

Post by Bill44133 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:03 pm

pikov22 wrote:Is it OK to spray a little silicone on the joint at the elbow?
I wouldn't do that.. To close to the nose and face.. Directly into your sinsus.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Bill44133 wrote:
pikov22 wrote:Is it OK to spray a little silicone on the joint at the elbow?
I wouldn't do that.. Too close to the nose and face.. Directly into your sinsus.
So how do I get rid of the squeaking? Every time the elbow moves, it sqeaks. What about WD-40? How about a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil?
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:37 pm

My comfortgel mask had a squeaky elbow, so I worked a dab of Lansinoh into the joint, using a bit of dental floss.
Worked like a charm, completely safe for me and my mask parts.
"Silicone" lubricants generally contain other chemicals, (like petroleum-based evil stuff)
that you won't want on mask silicone or inside your lungs or nose.
If you don't have nipple cream, you could use something out of the pantry, like coconut oil, or cocoa butter

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:My comfortgel mask had a squeaky elbow, so I worked a dab of Lansinoh into the joint, using a bit of dental floss.
Worked like a charm, completely safe for me and my mask parts.
"Silicone" lubricants generally contain other chemicals, (like petroleum-based evil stuff)
that you won't want on mask silicone or inside your lungs or nose.
If you don't have nipple cream, you could use something out of the pantry, like coconut oil, or cocoa butter
Aw...fresh out of nipple cream! I wonder if a skin moistening cream like Cera Ve would be OK. Ingredients are Purified water, Glycerin, Capric/caprylic stearic triglyceride (a chemical compound synthesized from coconut oil), Cholesterol, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, xanthan gum
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Petrolatum would not make silicone happy, so you want to keep it off the cushions.
Some of the other ingredients are not lubricants, and the product may not be as effective against the squeak.
But if it works, cool!

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:58 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Petrolatum would not make silicone happy, so you want to keep it off the cushions.
Some of the other ingredients are not lubricants, and the product may not be as effective against the squeak.
But if it works, cool!
Silicone is not affected by petroleum or oils. You are confusing this with latex. The two are not the same.

You would, however, have to be insane or extraordinarily stupid to consider using an industrial silicone spray/automotive product filled with solvents and toxins on a medical device you intend to inhale through....

Medical grade silicone based lube should be fine, however. It will attract dirt but at least will be safe.

Or simply just call ResMed and see if they will replace the joint for squeaking.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Petrolatum is the main ingredient in Vaseline, which we have been warned not to use on our mask cushions and pillows.
Someone mentioned their DME says to use it, but good advice from a DME--REALLY?

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:22 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Petrolatum is the main ingredient in Vaseline, which we have been warned not to use on our mask cushions and pillows.
Someone mentioned their DME says to use it, but good advice from a DME--REALLY?
Again, solid silicone items, including cpap cushions, spatulas, cookware, and other choice products are inert and unaffected by Vaseline.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone

"[...]Silicone is a material of choice for soft sex toys, due to its durability, cleanability, non-degradation by petroleum-based lubricants, and lack of phthalates, chemicals suspected of having carcinogenic and mutagenic effects on the skin and mucous membranes.[14][15] [16]"

I could post some other links, but they may really curl your hair....

Solid silicone items are totally fine with petroleum jelly or oils. It will not degrade them. Actually, it is really only liquid silicone products that are damaging to the surface of solid silicone items. So don't get liquid silicone lube on a solid silicone item, such as a mask cushion. That will 'melt' the cushion. Vaseline, which is oil based, not silicone, is totally fine.

The reason you shouldn't get Vaseline on a mask cushion is the same reason its an awful product on other things -- like car wax, it's darned near impossible to clean it all off. Regular soaps have a tough time doing it -- you'd have to scrub the cushion like mad with detergents to get all the Vaseline out, which could be damaging to the cushion itself. So with a mask cushion, that said, if you get Vaseline on it, you likely will have a persistent residue on it, which will cause the cushion to slip and leak, rendering it useless.

But will Vaseline chemically damage the silicone cushion? No. Not possible.

ResMed's generic mask cleaning instructions state only:

"•Do not use solutions containing vinegar, bleach, chlorine, alcohol, aromatics, moisturizers, antibacterial agents or scented oils to clean any part of the system or air tubing. These solutions may cause damage and reduce the life of the product[....]"

No where does any manufacturer say, explicitly, do not use "Vaseline," and what constitutes a 'moisturizer' is simply too vague. There are people here who swear that this Lanisoh cream, a moisturizer by any other name, is just fine. But yet, under ResMed's vague instruction, it could be misinterpreted by some people as some dangerous chemical waiting to jump out of its bottle and melt our precious silicone mask cushions while we sleep.

So yes, it's ok to use Vaseline on silicone.

But don't!

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:40 pm

We seem to have gotten off-track. I'm looking to lubricate the elbow where it is inserted into the frame.

Both of these appear to be made of Some type of hard plastic.

Is there any evidence that Vaseline would be harmful to plastic?
-----------

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:43 pm

pikov22 wrote: Is there any evidence that Vaseline would be harmful to plastic?
Not that I have ever seen and if I were in your shoes and didn't have something like the Lansinoh to try...and I had Vaseline handy... I would be using a tiny, tiny bit of it to see if the added lubrication would help reduce the squeaks.
I can't see it hurting the plastic at all but I wouldn't be wanting it on the mask or my face for just the "yuck" factor...if for no other reason. It will clog my pores and that I don't like.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 am

How about trying a little bit of liquid dish soap? (or liquid hand soap)
It'll stop the squeek, and if you're not happy with it, it's easy enough to completely clean off.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 am

Lube is lube, the hard plastic does not care.
I would go for food or cosmetic grade; just because if there is any incidental skin contact, there would be no problem.
I would consider coconut oil, just because I like the smell.

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Strange as it seems, there has not been any squeaking for a few days!! Go figure.
-----------