Travel CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NoSlak

Travel CPAP

Post by NoSlak » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:33 am

hi peeps, I have the CPAP in my sig , Remstar with mirage Swift nasal pillows, however I am looking to buy a travel CPAP and I can probably get teh Doctor to sign a new pres for an AUtoPAP machine for travel.
ANy suggestions ?? I assum I should stick with the same interface huh ???

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:07 pm

NoSlak,

If you've still got your original prescription (which you SHOULD have), you can buy one from CPAP.COM. You can buy an "Auto" with a straight CPAP prescription.....it will, of course, come configured as a CPAP, but then you can go from there. If it was me, I'd keep the Auto for the "home" machine and use the older one for the "travel" machine.

Best wishes,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

brasshopper

Feature combinations

Post by brasshopper » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Only Respironics allows you to mix their C-flex feature (exhalation relief) with their auto-pressure setting feature. If you want or need both, you have Hobson's choice at this point.

Supposedly the new Respironics M series will be out soon - this is the rumor I've heard. The current M series will not do Auto, as I recall.

But if you want the CPAP immediately, and you want an autopap with exhalation relief - at the same time - you have to select the Remstar Auto C-Flex CPAP. The Resmed has both EPR (exhalation relief) and autotitration, but not at the same time.

Most people who are thinking travel in the Respironics line are thinking M. The M Pro gives you full data, which I assume is leak, and AHI and non-responsive apnea - without the pressure changes that an apap gives you.

But your prescription will be for an apap and you do not care for exhalation relief, the Goodnight 420E might be what you want - small, apap, can be had with software, well, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems good.

I personally have a like for respironics machines. I take big breaths from time to time. The machines that are physically larger seem to be able to provide that air better. I had a loaner which might have been a - based on the shape of the machine, dimly remembered - it was not a Respironics or a resmed, maybe a goodnight, maybe F&P. I had to train myself not to take big breaths, or I found that I'd be pulling my mask from my face or opening my mouth to take those breaths. The Respironics machines, any that I've ever tried (at least full sized ones) work for me and I will stick with them as long as they have this characteristic. I've tried three generations now.

For me, it would depend on really what I wanted from that travel CPAP.

Is size paramount? Built in battery power? Automatic altitude compensation? Mains power adaptability? You tell us, we will give you more.

Size has never been the prime issue for me for a travel CPAP. I have been more worried about mains power adaptibility, and, with some destinations, battery would have been paramount. I put probably a half million miles on a full sized respironics that had no capability but a manual switch that swapped 110-220. I would travel with my main CPAP today because it has everything I want - except for battery. And I might consider a trolling motor battery bought locally and given to a local fisherman with an external charger.

Good luck- if you tell us more of what you want, you might get better suggestions.