OT: Winter running gear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tetragon

OT: Winter running gear

Post by tetragon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:15 pm

I recently started running (still with lots of walking), and the person who leads the learn-to-run group that I'm in asked if I would run in an upcoming 5k. I said yes before December's weather occurred to me.

So, how do I dress for a run that will be at freezing temperatures (and possibly a below-freezing windchill) and not either freeze or be engulfed in a cocoon of sweat that will freeze immediately after the run is over?

Rustsmith

Re: OT: Winter running gear

Post by Rustsmith » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm not sure why you are asking for help on this venue, but I can help anyway. I have been running competitively for about 25 yrs at distances from 5K to marathon.

Just as choice of how much to wear when not running will vary, so it will during the race. The usual rule of thumb is to dress during the race as if the temperature was about 20 degrees warmer. For temperatures near freezing, you will find that almost everyone will wear running tights or some sort of long pant to keep their legs warm, a long sleeve shirt (preferably made of a material like polyester that wicks water away from the body), gloves and a hat or some sort of protection for the ears. If the temperature is much below freezing or there is a chance of precipitation, a thin outer jacket can also be added. Don't forget that wind chill might require just a bit more to block the wind.

The faster runners will wear less during the race since they generate more heat, but also will probably not hang around to socialize after the race unless they have a chance to change into something warmer after the finish.

As for after the race, your best bet is to have another warm layer to add shortly after the finish and maybe a heavier pair of gloves. You will need to be able to get to it before the warmth from the race leaves you, so a warm coat in your car or provided by someone at the finish is always great.

Finally, since your address shows as Ontario, I shouldn't need to add that your hands and head will probably be see the greatest change during the race. I normally don't care how cold everything else is if I can just keep my fingers warm enough to keep them working. Being a bit cold is often an incentive to run faster, if that is important to you.

Congratulations on beginning to run. It is a fantastic way to keep in shape. I would assume that you are already finding that almost all of the people meet will be fantastic and more than willing to give you advice.