replacement hose question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
docjl

replacement hose question

Post by docjl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:47 pm

hi all
The hose, which was white and clear, I had ended up messed up a little so the insurance sent another hose. This one is a lot heavier than the first and it's grey. I haven't used it yet as I'm not liking the weight of it. I didn't pick the hose, but the insurance co covered my first hose 100% and this one 100% (I'm lucky) but I feel like I've been tricked by a bait and switch. I LIKED the other hose (maybe because it was my introduction to this cpap life) and this one just feels "wrong."

Anyone ever have this happen?

Pugsy

Re: replacement hose question

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:55 pm

They supplied the generic standard gray hose. This one
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/6-foot ... -ends.html

You have a Respironics machine???? They normally come with the Respironics White Performance hose and yes...white, clear and lighter and more flexible than the standard gray hose.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... ubing.html
Don't freak out on the price..that's the MSRP sticker...you can call and get the real price.
Or look on EBay...for the Respironics White Performance Hose.

You can call the DME up and ask them if they have the White Performance Hose but they may not stock it... It costs more and they get paid the same from the insurance company no matter which one they give you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:57 pm

It's fine, it's just a cheap generic hose. As long as its the same diameter as the original one it's fine, in that you don't need to change any machine settings. The thinner 'slimline' hose may need a setting change on the machine (the cheaper ones are larger diameter standard hoses) versus the other thicker, generic hose. That's the only thing you need to be worried about -- matching the setting on the machine for the diameter of the hose you are using.

Good luck.

docjl

Post by docjl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks
I'm calling the company tomorrow. The packing list, by the way, listed the cost of that clumsy grey hose as $40.

Why wouldn't they just send me what I had? Grrrr. Time wasted. I do not have time to waste!

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:53 am

That hose was $40? Man... somebody is getting ripped off... especially if it's a generic hose.

Sheriff

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:38 am

docjl wrote:Thanks
I'm calling the company tomorrow. The packing list, by the way, listed the cost of that clumsy grey hose as $40.

Why wouldn't they just send me what I had? Grrrr. Time wasted. I do not have time to waste!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with them sending you the generic hose. The one that comes with the machine is the fancy 'slimline' hose, but replacements are standard generic hoses. You accidentally crushed your old hose, and you now want a new fancy hose? Pay out of pocket. There is no difference in performance anyway. Just aesthetics and feel. I have both types, and slimline is definitely more flexible, but I certainly don't expect Blue Cross to pay for it.

And re the $40, that's also normal. The DME can bill $40 for a generic hose, but the insurance will only pay a fraction of that. You will then only pay a fraction of that fraction. Welcome to U.S. healthcare.... Where upcharging is considered normal.....

Ooops. I mis-spoke. You actually spent $0 for that new hose. Consider yourself extraordinarily lucky and count all your blessings.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 am

docjl wrote:Thanks

If this was an insurance claim, the ins company most likely paid about $10 for the hose.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:52 am

This hose?
(note the "call this # for pricing"--I paid considerably less)
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... ubing.html
As a discerning sleeper, I have bought many items online that my supplier "couldn't get" --their loss . . .
I use my insurance as well as I can, but I take over where they fail. I'm worth it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 am

Respironics doesn't normally supply a "slimline" hose with their machines. They normally supply their White Performance Hose.
The "slimline" hose on the PRS 1 machine will be the heated hose and the OP here wasn't talking about the heated hose.
Now there is a special slimline white performance hose but that is not routinely dispensed and most people don't know about it.

The White Performance hose is lighter and more flexible so there is less chance of the hose weight affecting the mask...especially when someone uses a nasal mask or nasal pillow mask where the weight of the hose can tug on the mask.
So while in terms of function as to delivering of pressure there is no difference....in terms of function in relation to mask comfort and leaks there can be quite a difference. I use one...it is a nicer hose to use.

Most DMEs aren't going to keep in stock the white performance hose because the gray hose is simply less expensive.
So a person has a choice...use what the DME supplies...or ask the DME to get you the white performance hose but I doubt they will be willing to if they don't normally stock them and there's nothing that says that they have to stock them...or buy your own.
They aren't horribly expensive if you just buy your own from cpap.com or from EBay (I got 2 of them for $14 plus a filter from EBay seller and that included shipping) and I would just keep the gray hose as emergency back up.

Yes Chunkyfrog...that's the one. I forget just how much the discounted price is when we call for it but it was substantially less than the MSRP that Respironics requires to be posted.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 am

I have used both and both work fine. I generally buy all my hoses and little accessories off ebay and you can easily find the white hoses there for a great price.

docjl

Post by docjl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:35 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them sending you the generic hose. The one that comes with the machine is the fancy 'slimline' hose, but replacements are standard generic hoses. You accidentally crushed your old hose, and you now want a new fancy hose? Pay out of pocket. There is no difference in performance anyway. Just aesthetics and feel. I have both types, and slimline is definitely more flexible, but I certainly don't expect Blue Cross to pay for it.

And re the $40, that's also normal. The DME can bill $40 for a generic hose, but the insurance will only pay a fraction of that. You will then only pay a fraction of that fraction. Welcome to U.S. healthcare.... Where upcharging is considered normal.....

Ooops. I mis-spoke. You actually spent $0 for that new hose. Consider yourself extraordinarily lucky and count all your blessings.
Did you get off the wrong foot or something? Your negative attitude really isn't needed. As far as the insurance paying for that hose, I pay a nice premiums for my health insurance so my health is taken care of.

I didn't CRUSH my hose. The white tip ended up messed and is down the hose slightly. I don't know what happened to it, but it has nothing to do with me crushing it. I wear a tap pap and there IS a BIG difference with the weight of the grey hose vs the white hose. Since that grey hose is heavy and clunky, it will pull on my mask. (verified by one poster, name I can't recall)- so I'm not going to "suck it up." I'm not asking for a heated hose; just a hose that I will be able to use without being so heavy that it will pull my mask off. I will not be able to wear my tap pap with this grey hose. I'm not paying out of pocket - your strongly worded comment- for something that I will not be able to use AND for which I pay a lot of money to my insurance company for proper health care.

oak

Post by oak » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:43 pm

docjl wrote:hi all
The hose, which was white and clear, I had ended up messed up a little so the insurance sent another hose. This one is a lot heavier than the first and it's grey. I haven't used it yet as I'm not liking the weight of it. I didn't pick the hose, but the insurance co covered my first hose 100% and this one 100% (I'm lucky) but I feel like I've been tricked by a bait and switch. I LIKED the other hose (maybe because it was my introduction to this cpap life) and this one just feels "wrong."

Anyone ever have this happen?
Have you considered calling your DME to request the hose you want?

docjl

Post by docjl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks,
I did call the DME today, but could only leave a message. I'll call again on Monday.