DME ordering Respironics PR One - is this a good machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: DME ordering Respironics PR One - is this a good machine?

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:08 pm

archangle wrote:
Wulfman... wrote: There's NOTHING wrong with a straight CPAP machine, as long as it's fully data-capable.
These forum pages have numerous experiences from people who got Auto/APAP machines and couldn't get decent sleep with them because they ran them in ranges of pressure. The pressure changes can bump the users out of their needed sleep stages and further disrupt their sleep, consequently leaving them feeling unrested. Another problem with APAPs (and varying pressures) is they can create more mask leakage.......which can lead to more sleep disruption.

I have no problem with people buying APAPs (I own four of them), but they need to realize that they have limitations along with their advantages.

Den

That's really, REALLY, bad advice. If the Auto APAP machine pressure changes make you uncomfortable, you can reduce the pressure range. You can even set the APAP machine to run in manual CPAP mode and it will work exactly the same as a manual CPAP machine.

Zzzer,

Getting the data capable CPAP vs. the PRS1 SE model is a very big improvement. S9 Elite vs. PRS1 460/Pro is sort of a tossup, but people tend to like their S9s and find them more comfortable.

Be sure you really get the machine you've been promised. The S9 will say "Elite" near the power button. Be sure it's not "Escape," you wouldn't be the first victim of the old switcheroo.

The PRS1 will say REMStar PRO blahblah near the display. Make sure it doesn't say "REMstar Plus." Or take out the water tank first, and check the bottom of the blower for 460 somewhere on the bottom label.
Too many users think "I paid more money for this fancy machine and it should do everything AUTOMATICALLY and I shouldn't have to change anything."
Six months (or longer) later, they're still dead tired and don't know why.
Many of them don't even use software to read their data. They don't even know what their problems are......they just claim it isn't working. Some even come to the point that they're trying to sell their equipment.

Don't you EVER try to tell me that I'm giving "bad advice" on this stuff. I've seen it with my own eyes and I've helped many, many people get their therapy straightened out.

Den

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
archangle wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
That's really, REALLY, bad advice. If the Auto APAP machine pressure changes make you uncomfortable, you can reduce the pressure range. You can even set the APAP machine to run in manual CPAP mode and it will work exactly the same as a manual CPAP machine.

Don't you EVER try to tell me that I'm giving "bad advice" on this stuff. I've seen it with my own eyes and I've helped many, many people get their therapy straightened out.
Den
I'm one of his many,many disciples! I was one of those who thought that I had to use all the features of my "fancy" machine even though the data showed otherwise and we were struggling. It wasn't until a few months of following Den's advice staying with just the basic cpap mode and getting help from him with the mask situation, that Mike's therapy finally settled down. Now that I somewhat understand the differences between machines, cpap/apap,how they affect Mike's treatment and how to interpret data,etc, I'm in a better position to make some of my own choices (now with Pugsy's help) but I always know that straight cpap will work too. It is really my belief that for newbies especially, cpap mode which is more straight forward and less complicated is the best way to get a handle on this therapy unless there are other issues involved.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:00 pm

There's nothing wrong with getting an APAP and only using it in CPAP mode. It's extra assurance that if a fixed CPAP pressure isn't working for you or if you need to run a little home titration to see what's going on, the APAP mode is available. IMHO, everyone should get an APAP, even if they NEVER use the APAP features.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:24 pm

+1 I agree. Our DME finally agreed to dispense an Auto but only after I got my Dr to change the RX to Auto with a pressure range. It was a bit of a hassle but hopefully Zzzer can get the same cooperation..

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

sleepyb

Post by sleepyb » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm

As another that the Wolfman helped out a bunch when first starting, I totally agree with him. Although my machines (now 3) are all apap varieties, I would rather have a CPAP with data than an auto without.
Also, I got my S9 autoset from a guy who's doctor set it 4 and 20. He couldn't sleep with it and gave up.
I felt terrible about buying it from him, he had severe OSA and a young daughter.
Although he was selling it REALLY cheap, I actually tried to talk him out of the sale and into trying it again with better settings, but he had given up and just wanted it gone.
Stupid doctors! 4 and 20! Setting this machine up like that of course it didn't work for him. He was suffocating most of the night and his mask blown off the rest!

And Yes I am angry about this. I just lost a friend and coworker to a stroke. He had severe OSA and poor care from his doctor and DME. "I'll read the data and tell you how you are doing" said the Doctor a
couple months before he collapsed.

Will this nice man in his late 30's that I bought the S9 from have the same fate? Will his daughter be without a father just because a stupid doctor set a machine stupidly?

APAP machines are great, but only great if they are set properly with tight ranges set with data. Without that, a CPAP at a fixed setting is far better.

renatae

Post by renatae » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:36 am

Zzzer wrote:Thanks again for the feedback.

Yep, I read that blog which is why I was skeptical going into all of this. I'm not trying to bad mouth the DME, because I am new to all of this and maybe they're just doing their job and not really trying to take advantage of me. But I must say all of your responses have definitely provided me with more info going into this and I greatly appreciate that.

I do know that my Sleep MD and this DME are part of the same hospital organization. So if I have to go back to my doctor and tell them to send my Rx to a different DME, I may face some resistance. I may just avoid the DME altogether and buy the machine online. I assume I need my doctor to send my Rx in that case.

I will call my insurance next and see what my DME options are.

Wish me luck.
I was in pretty much the same situation as you - in fact, my doctor group had its own supply group operating under a different name, but right next door. I happened to look into machines in the 2 week interval between my test and my followup appointment and learned about the differences and decided I really would like the Resmed S9 Autoset. First I called and asked if they would be giving me an auto CPAP and they told me they definitely would. Then I read that if I wanted a certain machine I should ask the doctor for it. So I called back and asked them if I could have the Resmed and they said they did not stock any Resmeds, but they would refer me to a DME who did. I asked them to write an rx for exactly what I wanted and they did. I had no trouble with the DME. They gave me what the doctor ordered and didn't argue or try to switch me. I was on Medicare and they were going to get the same amount of money whether they have me a brick or the top machine which I was getting. I really liked them and have nothing but good things to say about them. I hope you have the same positive experience!

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Hello, newbie here, have been using the machine you ask about for two+ months and I like it very much. A bit heavy/bulky for easy plane travel, but otherwise compact enough. I don't use the humidifier or Auto feature. You can read the AHI and Leak data from it, very easily. It is very quiet with the nasal pillows. For some reason with the Zest nasal mask I started with, the PR One was very loud -- made for excellent white noise, easy to sleep if you like white noise, but would be audible in next room. Not sure why it did that, as it is dead silent with the pillows. Good luck!
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion