OT: Colonoscopy-UPDATE

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
avi123

Re: OT: Colonoscopy

Post by avi123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:11 pm

About the Actigraphy, even depending on the goal, if it's mounted on the wrist then it sorts of waste of time. Why not wear on your chest and then you get much more data, such as sleep position also.

About the prep for Colonoscopy (which I been doing by now about 10 times, even though I never had polyps, only diverticulum), I was told that once the bowl movement was watery and clear then I could stop taking more stuff. I chose taking the max sedation, and it worked well. But perforation is always a danger. Many Gastros are skimpy on sedation b/c they are interested in fast turnover of patients, i.e. to get you out ASAP. Good luck!

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Pugsy wrote:I assume your husband will be with you when you pick up the bracelet thingy. Make sure that he understands any instructions because you might not remember what gets told to you.
Excellent idea. I'll be sure to tell hubby TONIGHT about this just in case I don't remember tomorrow.
I was totally awake but my memory had some big blank spots in it way after I was done with the procedure.
So that "forget stuff" part of the cocktail you get in the IV can make you forget stuff long after you have been awake.
That's been my experience in the past when I've been heavily sedated.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:56 pm

I asked the Anesthesiologist if he would do me a favor.
I told him I have sleep apnea and if he would be so kind as to roll me to my side after the Procedure I would Appreciate it.
I woke up on my side breathing fine and feeling vert hungry.

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 pm

For my most recent colonoscopy, I ended up being referred to a clinic whose prep instructions for the second day's prep (and third, depending upon when the scope was scheduled, day one was magnesium citrate) includes a suggestion to mix Cointreau with the Moviprep. Personally, I didn't do that, and just had it with a straw, frilly cocktail umbrella, and green Jello. The straw reduced how much I did taste, and the Jello covered up whatever made it through.

When I went in, they were very light on all drugs because "Eeek! Sleep apnea!", and so I remember mine and how much it hurt when the doctor was getting the scope around a curve. I also noticed a green blob that was washed off, one that was the same green as the Jello I ate the previous night, that I was still tasting the next morning, even with multiple rounds of toothbrushing after the last pile of Jello was eaten. Good thing I didn't go with the cranberry Jello.

But part of the fun of the relatively undrugged colonoscopy is that I wasn't asked how I was getting home (alone, by public transit), and that in recovery, they removed the pulse ox so that I could more easily eat the cookies and candy I had brought with me. I got to see everyone else lay there, out of it, while they were being told their results and asked about who would be bringing them home. (Why weren't they asked before they were sedated?)

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:25 pm

tetragon wrote: I got to see everyone else lay there, out of it, while they were being told their results and asked about who would be bringing them home. (Why weren't they asked before they were sedated?)
With my finger surgery last year, I was asked this question before they started sedating me and very shortly after the surgery as I was starting to wake up.

khauser

Post by khauser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:49 am

squid13 wrote:The prep is definitely the worst part. I had one last year and they put me out and did the colonoscopy and then they also went down my throat and checked my stomach, it had never been checked so at my age it was a good idea. The last time I had a barium x-ray he put the stuff in and then filled me up with the air,and then he got a phone call which he took and after about 2 minutes I yelled at him to get off the GD phone because the air was causing me a whole lot of pain. When it was over I put my military ass chewing on him and said I didn't appreciate it at all and had have a notion to file a complaint. He was very apologetic and I think he might have learned something, at least I hope he did. It hurt worst that aerophagia.
Wow! Chewing him out is the LEAST he deserves. I've been through that ever-so-pleasant test as well, so I really feel for you. In fact, after having that done I swore off ever allowing it again, let alone the same test from the other end. If it is ever suggested I insist on the scope instead, thanks, and have a great day!

Anybody that administers such a test should have to undergo it first, just so they know what the patients are feeling.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 am

khauser wrote:
squid13 wrote:The prep is definitely the worst part. I had one last year and they put me out and did the colonoscopy and then they also went down my throat and checked my stomach, it had never been checked so at my age it was a good idea. The last time I had a barium x-ray he put the stuff in and then filled me up with the air,and then he got a phone call which he took and after about 2 minutes I yelled at him to get off the GD phone because the air was causing me a whole lot of pain. When it was over I put my military ass chewing on him and said I didn't appreciate it at all and had have a notion to file a complaint. He was very apologetic and I think he might have learned something, at least I hope he did. It hurt worst that aerophagia.
Wow! Chewing him out is the LEAST he deserves. I've been through that ever-so-pleasant test as well, so I really feel for you. In fact, after having that done I swore off ever allowing it again, let alone the same test from the other end. If it is ever suggested I insist on the scope instead, thanks, and have a great day!

Anybody that administers such a test should have to undergo it first, just so they know what the patients are feeling.
Several years ago, a nurse practitioner at Kaiser suggested the BE test for various reasons. Not wanting to go through that for no reason at all, I asked the patient rep for help and she referred to an excellent internist who discovered the problem was due to something totally different. As a result, the test was not required. What was funny or sad depending on your point of view was that the NP followed up wanting to know why I hadn't scheduled the BE and acted like I was a complete idiot for not showing up.

Squid, it really makes me wonder about the empathy quotient of people who do what the tech did to you. Did it not occur to him how leaving you in the position that he did was a terrible thing to do to someone? Or do they just objectify patients as numbers even though they don't mean to?

Kevin, how many times do doctors admit they have no clue what patients experience until they themselves become on. Yup, I definitely agree that anyone administers a horrible test should have to undergo it first.

49er

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:36 am

I have a really great colonoscopy doctor. He drank the gallon of vile-tasting crap then underwent a colonoscopy performed by an associate, without any anesthesia, just to experience the procedure. He told me he would never do it again and now really understands what his patients go through. He also prescribes a series of 32 pills for cleanout instead of the gallon of puke-a-dog-off-a-gut-wagon liquid. They are taken on a schedule, 4 at a time, with any clear liquid of your choice. Sooo much better than the padoagwl. The only drawback is the cost; $140 but to me, worth every penny.

Lambeau

Post by Lambeau » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:37 am

robysue wrote: I have to mix 255 ml of Miralax powder with 64 oz of Gatorade. And then drink the foul stuff 8 oz a time every 15-20 minutes until its gone. 64 oz of Gatorade in an hour and a half to two hours???
Micheal Bloomberg would scold you for that much Gatorade

robysue

Re: OT: Colonoscopy-UPDATE

Post by robysue » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:26 am

Back from the colonoscopy.

The prep was definitely the worst part of the procedure by far. The miralax+gatorade can only be described as "vilely sweet" and it literally kicked in the the sense of starting the cramps about 1/2 through each and every "dose". (And there were 8 eight-ounce doses in that 64-oz of Gatorade.) And I want to say a big thank you to everyone who added some humor to this thread yesterday. It was touching to know that my friends here at cpaptalk care and the humor lightened my mood and took the edge off the sh*tty part of the prep.

I finally felt "done" in the sense of cramping and running about 3:30 AM. I was exhausted, but forced myself to take a shower and then went to bed and fell right asleep. Insomnia was thankfully not a problem last night; when hubby woke me up for the appointment I didn't want to get up, but I was somewhat functional.

The procedure was done in an outpatient GI ward at the local hospital. I needed lots of warmed blankets because I was so cold. Once they put the sedative in the iv, I was pretty out of it and remember almost nothing. I do remember looking at the monitor a couple of times and thinking "Gee that reminds me of a show I saw on PBS not too long ago ...." And I remember some warm hands touching my butt to rearrange me a couple of times. And the doc saying a few not-quite-understandable things. And I remember the doc saying, "We're all done now. How are you feeling? The nurse will take you back to the other room." Or some such thing.

The early verbal report: They removed 3 polyps which the doc believes are noncancerous; we'll get the formal biopsy report in a week. The rest looked good. But because of the polyps (and a history of colon cancer in my father's family), he wants me back for another colonoscopy in 3 years if there's nothing suspicious in the meantime.

Note about the colon cancer in the family history: Daddy's family has a very strong history of colon cancer, but unlike most families with lots of colon cancer, the cancer strikes remarkably late in life: My grandfather was diagnosed with colon cancer at 87 or 88. Of the seven kids, three have been diagnosed with colon cancer---at ages 83, 86, and 94. My father has never been diagnosed with colon cancer; he's now 87, which of course puts him right at the prime years for getting it in terms of family history.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks for the update RobySue. I will bet you are so glad this is over. Hopefully, you will get a good biopsy report which it sounds like from your post will occur.

I know you said you have to go get that device from the sleep doctor's office but take it easy. I remember making the mistake of pushing too hard by going back to work early only to have to come home.

49er

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 am

49er wrote:Thanks for the update RobySue. I will bet you are so glad this is over. Hopefully, you will get a good biopsy report which it sounds like from your post will occur.

I know you said you have to go get that device from the sleep doctor's office but take it easy. I remember making the mistake of pushing too hard by going back to work early only to have to come home.

49er
Hubby is driving me to the sleep doctor's office and right now I'm at home relaxing in the recliner. I intend to take it easy the rest of the day.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 am

Prior to my starting CPAP therapy, the best sleep I had was during mine.

Having served in the US NAVY.... I learned, Never Again Volunteer Yourself...

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:38 am

Yep. The one thing I alway look forward to on a colonscopy is how rested I feel when I wake up. Good Drugs.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Robysue, your prep was definitely overkill for crying out loud. I don't care what size person you are. AND there are newer, easier to take preps too. Half-Lytely or Suprep, taste somewhat better AND LESS sewer water to drink. You still have to drink a lot of clear liquids, but at least no where near so much of the prep solution. Magnesium citrate isn't a bad choice either. I don't dilute it so much as some gastros recommend when they still agree to your prepping w/it.

Frankly, they have absolutely no idea which prep you used, all they know is how effective it was or wasn't. The key to any of the preps is drinking plenty of clear liquids to flush the gut and keep you hydrated.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.